Applying for Marriage extension of stay.

Good day,

Finally got my Thailand Pass, should be back in Bangkok 18 March, still have to get the Covid 19-free test certificate.

I have travelled for years on a Non Imm O visa based on marriage, I think now is the time to settle down.

I intend to apply for the Extension during this coming trip. The required Thb400K will be in the bank but possibly only late March/early April.

I understand it has to be in the bank for 2 months before I can make the application, this means there won't be much time

left to lodge my application and follow it through. The Embassy have told I can apply for an extension of my present visa for 60 days? If I can do so I could then

have more time to lodge the application and get approval? Is it possible if anyone can please advise if that way would work?

As far as applying for the extension based on marriage, I believe it can be a  bit problematic? Is it advisable to get an agent to help, if so any advise on who to go to is appreciated.

Thank you.

Arrive in country, get a single bank account in your name and deposit the 400k as soon as possible, it has to be in the bank account for 2 months, if you need more time, apply for an extension.

you don't make it clear what you re arriving on , if you enter on a non immigrant O visa you will get 90 days on entry that will allow time for the money to season, if entering on a tourist or a visa exempt you will need to obtain a conversion non immigrant O visa, money needs to be in bank on date of application only, a 60 day Thai wife extension is allowed once per entry, if more time is required for anything

iwfe yearly extensions are easy to do , no need for an agent

• Like 2

17 hours ago, steve187 said:

you don't make it clear what you re arriving on , if you enter on a non immigrant O visa you will get 90 days on entry that will allow time for the money to season, if entering on a tourist or a visa exempt you will need to obtain a conversion non immigrant O visa, money needs to be in bank on date of application only, a 60 day Thai wife extension is allowed once per entry, if more time is required for anything

iwfe yearly extensions are easy to do , no need for an agent

The first marriage extension is a bit intimidating when you haven't done one before. Best to use an agent for the first then you will know what to do subsequently.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, chilly07 said:

The first marriage extension is a bit intimidating when you haven't done one before. Best to use an agent for the first then you will know what to do subsequently.

No need to use an agent. I recently did my 11th extension at Chiang Mai immigration and never any major problems. Save your money.

• Like 2

Within the past week I successfully obtained my an extension on my permission to stay (based on marriage) for the first time. 

There is a lot of paperwork required, but my being retired, I have more time than I have money, and despite being close to 70, I am still mobile enough that I don't need an agent to save me time/effort.  The money I saved by doing this myself can buy a lot of nice meals.

I don't know how much you have prepared for this ?  Note if your marriage was outside outside of Thailand (like mine was) you will need to get marriage documents translated, certified, and then register your marriage at a local Thailand city hall. That 'might' be an extra hoop you will have to go through.

Possibly in 10 years if I am still alive, I will start using an agent to minimize my effort, but for now I prefer to use the money saved for other things.

Edited by oldcpu

On 3/10/2022 at 12:06 PM, oldcpu said:

Within the past week I successfully obtained my an extension on my permission to stay (based on marriage) for the first time. 

There is a lot of paperwork required, but my being retired, I have more time than I have money, and despite being close to 70, I am still mobile enough that I don't need an agent to save me time/effort.  The money I saved by doing this myself can buy a lot of nice meals.

I don't know how much you have prepared for this ?  Note if your marriage was outside outside of Thailand (like mine was) you will need to get marriage documents translated, certified, and then register your marriage at a local Thailand city hall. That 'might' be an extra hoop you will have to go through.

Possibly in 10 years if I am still alive, I will start using an agent to minimize my effort, but for now I prefer to use the money saved for other things.

Thank you, so many people have said it's a pain but that's life sometimes, Ill try your way.

On 3/10/2022 at 12:13 PM, brianthainess said:

Just asking are you applying in Bangkok or another province, sadly not all immigration offices use the same rule book. But the money in the bank is always 2 months.

Bangkok, yes I understand the money in the bank, my main concern was can I get an extension if it is not there in time.

On 3/9/2022 at 1:26 PM, bbko said:

Arrive in country, get a single bank account in your name and deposit the 400k as soon as possible, it has to be in the bank account for 2 months, if you need more time, apply for an extension.

Thank you

On 3/10/2022 at 7:16 AM, chilly07 said:

I didn't say I have travelled for many years on a Non Imm 'O' visa based on marriage??????