Khon Kaen continues controversial alcohol sales ban at all restaurants, citing high Covid-19 “cases”

webfact

boozeban.jpg

By Adam Judd

Kohn Kaen - The Kohn Kaen governor, on behalf of the provincial disease control committee, announced this evening, March 9th, 2022, that an unpopular and controversial alcohol sales ban at all restaurants will continue due to high Covid-19 cases.

The ban, which doesn’t include grocery stores but does essentially ban all “restaurants” (converted bars) from doing business, was originally enacted on February 23rd by Provincial Governor Somsak Changtrakul. The ban was in 26 major districts, including three “blue” tourism zones, and followed Buriram doing the same thing, citing high Covid-19 cases.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Several weeks later, cases remain high with hundreds a day and despite being under fire from business owners claiming the ban was not stopping the spread of Covid-19 and seemed to have little to no effect, the governor stated today the ban will continue for at least another fourteen days.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/03/09/khon-kaen-continues-controversial-alcohol-sales-ban-at-all-restaurants-citing-high-covid-19-cases/

PattayaNews.jpg

-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-03-10

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 4
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

As we sat there enjoying our meal with out the benefit of a beer, a crowd of man came in , and as they ordered their food, they were served a number of mouth watering cold beers. 

I kid you not, If I am lying may god strike me dead!! 

"What gives" I asked my wife already suspecting the answer.

"Oh they must be some higher ups" she said as naturally as breathing.

I know at some of the big outside restaurants in KK, all you would have had to do was order a cup of coffee and they would've filled it with beer or Regency.

But none the less

Edited by metisdead
Trolling video removed.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

The beer ban is one small cut, I get it. But there is such a thing as death by a thousand cuts I think as I type this 3:30 am because the howling dogs wake my up and I cant go to sleep.

You're free to leave any time.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

7 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I know it is a defect in my personality but I have a hard time adjusting to a second class citizen status .I though I could but it irks me.  

So does that mean that anyone who DOES stay here non-irksomely has been able to adjust to second class citizen status?

Edited by jerrymahoney

11 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

So does that mean that anyone who DOES stay here non-irksomely has been able to adjust to second class citizen status?

I cant talk abut  everyone, I can only talk about my self. 

Perhaps a second class citizen status is not the correct way to describe what I talked about,

How do you describe it?  If my perspective is wrong, and it  very well might  be, how do you put it in the proper perspective? 

Edited by sirineou
typo
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Perhaps a second class citizen status is not the correct way to describe what I talked about,

How do you describe it?

Ride with the tide & go with the flow.

I sometimes say that some guys back it the US of A would kill to be in a situation like mine --

and some actually have.

1 hour ago, jerrymahoney said:

Ride with the tide & go with the flow.

I sometimes say that some guys back it the US of A would kill to be in a situation like mine --

and some actually have.

I am sure some, not everyone in the US is in the same situation or live in the same areas, also as much as I would like to say that I am, I am discovering that I am not, perhaps it has to do with getting older and had enough of "Ride with the tide & go with the flow. "  I find ,myself to be a bit more pd a "<deleted> in the wind kind of guy " LOL

44 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I am sure some, not everyone in the US is in the same situation or live in the same areas, also as much as I would like to say that I am, I am discovering that I am not, perhaps it has to do with getting older and had enough of "Ride with the tide & go with the flow. "  I find ,myself to be a bit more pd a "<deleted> in the wind kind of guy " LOL

Well in getting older some care a lot more about the little things and some care a lot less.

7 hours ago, sirineou said:

After being stuck in the US for about two years with the pandemic, we finally made it back last May,. I could not wait to get back, and now that we are here  I cant wait to get out.

I am not a big drinker, but when we go out to diner, I enjoy a cold beer with my spicy food. Where is the covid danger in that? 

I get it, some people go out , drink too much, become more irresponsible than they already are, and contribute to the spread of the virus and I get that many bars try to get around the restrictions by rebranding themselves as restaurants, but why not protect against that behavior, instead of implementing a blanket restriction? 

The answer is easy. Laziness !! a lot easier to implement blanket restrictions than targeted responses.

A few months ago we were out in a restaurant on Khon Kaen , and asked the waitress if we could have a beer or was it still restricted.  The waitress with a sad smile said that we could not, and we understood,

Not her fault, I am sure she would be more than happy to sell us a beer if she could. 

As we sat there enjoying our meal with out the benefit of a beer, a crowd of man came in , and as they ordered their food, they were served a number of mouth watering cold beers. 

I kid you not, If I am lying may god strike me dead!! 

"What gives" I asked my wife already suspecting the answer.

"Oh they must be some higher ups" she said as naturally as breathing.

I think I can pin point the moment that I decided that Thailand was not for me anymore was then and there. 

Why should the "higher ups" go to the trouble of implementing targeted responses, did these responses affect them? 

The beer ban is one small cut, I get it. But there is such a thing as death by a thousand cuts I think as I type this 3:30 am because the howling dogs wake my up and I cant go to sleep.

Why do anything about all these dogs? it's probably vey quite where the "Higher ups" live , and I am sure they dot need to grow roosters to eat. 

April 3rd I am out of here and I cant wait.   

First of all, everyone makes decisions based on their own individual needs, wants and desires. Also, unfortunately, money does factor in one's decisions and choices.

I am so happy for you that you are going back to the US and wish you much enjoyment and happiness.

I would go back in a nano second if I could, but it is mission impossible for me.

Please follow up once you go back.

35 minutes ago, racyrick said:

First of all, everyone makes decisions based on their own individual needs, wants and desires. Also, unfortunately, money does factor in one's decisions and choices.

I am so happy for you that you are going back to the US and wish you much enjoyment and happiness.

I would go back in a nano second if I could, but it is mission impossible for me.

Please follow up once you go back.

We are actually not going back to the US , but to Greece. I qualify for citizenship there and the wife for permanent residency, also I was told that I can buy into their national health care system , which solves another problem,

We might be exchanging one set of problems for another, so we will see. We will give that a try for a little while and if it does not work out we think i, we will  go back to the US.

We were fortunate to have had a friend who wanted to rent our house , we gave him a good deal on the rent , and he takes care of everything, I only pay the property tax and insurance. And have a nice income from it,

So we have a place , paid for, to go go back to , Otherwise . with the way  real state and rents are now days, no way could we afford to go back also. 

If we decide we like living in Greece, We have permanent status there, and my medical insurance works out the way I hope it will., Then we will have to make a decision to either sell the house in Thailand, or the house in the US. No way we can keep three houses. 

I think most likely we will sell the  house in the US because we could get a lot more money for it, and it is a lot cheaper and easier to maintain the house in Thailand. 

Thailand has it's challenges but if things improve after covid is over it might not be too bad to spend a few months here, Right now there is  just very little to do here.

And all these, IMO,  insane goverment policies are not helping, It make you feel like you are waiting for the other shoe to fall.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wake Up said:

OP I share your frustration with the way hi sos think they are better than others and are treated differently. To some extent it happens in every country but it is more obvious in Thailand. Take care 

I agree , because the situation was belittling as Sirineou had previously asked for a beer and was denied by the waitress but when the Thai aristocracy walked in and got their beer , I also would have been annoyed . However I know that this is the way things work in Thailand , the haves and the have nots live different lives . I suppose that if Sirineou had not asked for a beer he would not have been upset at the vips being served with beer .  Sometimes you just got to bite your tongue but as you get older bad manners , discrimination and lack of respect become more difficult to tolerate .

• Like 1

Why let the people enjoy themselves and blow off a little steam, when it gets in the way of the overall objective of "purification of the nation"? After all, having a beer or a glass of wine with dinner can be a very dangerous activity. Everyone knows beer causes covid, just like riding a motorbike without a mask on. 

This continued foolishness, and extreme ignorance will limit Thailand to just a very small trickle of tourism for some time to come. Their blindness comes at a very high cost to the economy. For some, especially tourists, why even bother eating out if one cannot enjoy a harmless drink with your meal? 

Woe is Thailand, with this staggering lack of leadership and courage. 

Edited by spidermike007

On 3/10/2022 at 7:49 AM, sirineou said:

Thank you for that suggestion, I am not really a big bar person, just like a beer with my food, I would enjoy a glass of wine also, but good luck with that in most places.  LOL. My main point in my original reply is not about the inability to get a drink with my meal, as much as I might not like it, I can live with thar. It has more to do with the governing attitude in Thailand and  the two class system that fosters that attitude IMO,

It did not mind not being served , as much as I did not being served when others were, I know it is a defect in my personality but I have a hard time adjusting to a second class citizen status .I though I could but it irks me.  

Sirineou

I fully understand and agree with you, the annoying thing is covid is the excuse for everything. 

There is no consistency or logic in any of the enforcement. I live here so have to put up with it but always find ways to get around these types of issues 555