Police charges against top cop’s Porsche driving son at the centre of fatal Bangkok car accident

webfact

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

What's this i read? police are seriously charging a VIP, well connected high profile person? something is wrong there, wires cost crossed somewhere?...

His father is the top cop who was told by the head of police to not investigate the attempted drive by shooting of Big Joke (The police chief who waged war on corruption before being transferred to an inactive post without explaination).

After a recording of the conversation was leaked to the media, his father was charged by the police for leaking confidential information (Although couldn’t prove that he did it in court).

The police might not be shedding any tears if the son gets thrown under the bus.

Edited by SlyAnimal

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Being the holder of the position of Deputy National Police Chief, by definition, makes him one of the country's top police officers, i.e. a "top cop".  Nowhere did the OP report that he was the top cop.

Former Deputy is the operative word here, nor did post infer he was "the" 

He may back on the force, I apologise for my mistake, however he remain the former Deputy National Police Chief. no indication which post he may now hold, after his inactive leave period.

Edited by RJRS1301

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You thought wrong.

"Last year, in July, he returned to work at Royal Thai Police headquarters in Bangkok after Thailand’s Administrative Court granted an injunction to him quashing an order that he be removed from his post"

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2022/03/13/charges-for-top-cop-porsche-driving-son/

And reported in many other places also.

I obviously got it wrong.

Sorry .

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

or anything else that makes him a brat?   Or is he a brat in your mind simply because he's got a bit of money?

No, because daddy bought him a Porche! 

Makes me green with envy!

2 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Perhaps due the position he holds within the company, he purchased it with his own funds.

From the high paid job daddy gave to him.... what a brat!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

From the high paid job daddy gave to him.... what a brat!

Green is such an unattractive colour for a human.

The man may well have good qualifications, I am sure his education was as good as money can buy.

His father is a well educated man holding a PhD in public administration

• Like 1

Just now, RJRS1301 said:

The man may well have good qualifications, I am sure his education was as good as money can buy.

I don't expect he is green, that is me. He will be whiter than white! 

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It really is time that Hi-Sos and the wealthy were punished, rather than killing with impunity. I don't care how much money gets offered as compensation!

It also is time to clamp down on motor bikes with No lights in fact no nothing,  difficult at night with no lights to see one with 3 people on coming through on your nearside when you are indicating a left turn being attempted, in my opinion they deserve to end up on the <deleted> with a gravel rash.

23 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

While my scenario is hypothetical it serves to highlight that ‘not wearing a helmet’ impacts the severity of the outcome in when a motorcyclist is involved in an accident.

You also pointed out that wearing of additional protective gear (Jacket / Pants, pack protector, neck brace etc) also impacts the severity of injuries. when a motorcyclist is involved in an accident.

The difference is the wearing a of a helmet is law. 

I am not sure if there is a law regarding ‘wearing of certified helmets’ in Thailand, if there is, this one is also widely broken. 

The head injuries suffered in motorcycle accidents are significantly limited when the motorcyclist is wearing a helmet. 

In this case, the severity of the outcome may also be impacted by the deceased not wearing a helmet. 

In this case, the motorcyclists may have simply landed on the bonnet (hood) of the Porsche and suffered bruising and not a fatal head injury. 

Did the Porsche driver make a lane change and ride straight into the motorcyclist ?

Or did he make a lane change to avoid him but still hit him ? - this is not entirely clear.

Again - more reasons to have a dash-cam.

My argument is that the motorcyclist may be alive and relatively uninjured if he was wearing a helmet - that obviously needs further investigation. IF it can be highlighted that he [the motorcyclist] would likely have suffered minor injuries (i.e. if the cause of death is brain trauma due to impact, i.e. due to not wearing a helmet) then the motorcyclist is complicit in his own death for not wearing helmet.

I will have to disagree with your hypothesis based upon 30+ years in LE as a major incident and Accident investigator trained in TAR 1 and TAR 2 and having conducted over 1000 fatal traffic accidents.  However, I do agree with you on one point and that point is the helmets here in Thailand are not DOT certified.  Brain damage and death still occur with those wearing a DOT approved helmet from high impact as a helmet is nothing more than a brain bucket designed to encapsulate a shattered head, and keeps the head together in one spot.

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The helmet question is valid point…. 

Some say not wearing a helmet is no one else’s issue, the law breaking is victimless. But its not.

If a motorbike rider suddenly swerves in front of us and clips us, falls and smacks his head and dies, is it our fault if he died because he wasn’t wearing a helmet. Especially when wearing a helmet would have resulted in nothing more than bruising etc….  

The point is, in the example above, the severity of the outcome was impacted by the riders choice not to protect themselves. Should that impact the severity of a charge? 

A good point. 

In a different set of circumstances if through no fault of your own you hit a motorcyclist and a helmet reduces the injury to something recoverable then you as the driver will probably still be affected but not as badly as if they weren't wearing a helmet which meant they suffered brain damage. Its the same with allowing young children to ride motorcycles without training or helmets.

As for whether the crime or effect should determine a charge or sentence that can be difficult. If someone deliberately drives at speed in an area where there are children but none are hit is that better or worse than someone who kills or injures a child due to an unintended momentary lapse in concentration? Do you give more weight to the misdeed or the result?

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

No it should not impact the severity of the charge.  The precipitating accident is what caused the death, not the fact if he was or was not wearing a helmet.  Helmets in Thailand as we have discussed as well as the rest of the world have little life saving capabilities, unless your wearing a neck brace, a Hans device, and have full riding gear in order to minimize impact like a MC racer on a closed course does.

Just had a quick look and most research seem to suggest helmets do save some lives and also reduce the chances of brain damage. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:

Agree.  Also he has admitted his mistake. He never fled and went to the station with his mum. Let's wait and see what happens. 

10 hours ago, ezzra said:

What's this i read? police are seriously charging a VIP, well connected high profile person? something is wrong there, wires cost crossed somewhere?...

Charging. Does that mean he will be convicted? And if so, does that mean he would ever spend any time in prison? Those of us who know how above the law these rich clowns are, seriously doubt it. 

Wonder if dad will be as well respected now that his son has killed. And even worse, killed and caught. 

Edited by spidermike007

25 minutes ago, hughrection said:

OK, so where did the startup money come from?  Just saying. ????

Some folks even in Thailand have inherited wealth or family wealth. his wife is also very astute.

There would not be enough brown envelopes printed for it to come from those.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

I will have to disagree with your hypothesis based upon 30+ years in LE as a major incident and Accident investigator trained in TAR 1 and TAR 2 and having conducted over 1000 fatal traffic accidents.  However, I do agree with you on one point and that point is the helmets here in Thailand are not DOT certified.  Brain damage and death still occur with those wearing a DOT approved helmet from high impact as a helmet is nothing more than a brain bucket designed to encapsulate a shattered head, and keeps the head together in one spot.

Your argument seems to be that helmets do not prevent head trauma - I must be misunderstanding your comments. 

You mentioned high impact - in such cases I agree, any major high impact and you’re a gonner with or without a helmet. 

But, in many many cases a helmet prevents head trauma and death. 
This may be such a case whereby the helmet, if worn, makes the difference between life / death / brain damage etc 

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Your argument seems to be that helmets do not prevent head trauma - I must be misunderstanding your comments. 

You mentioned high impact - in such cases I agree, any major high impact and you’re a gonner with or without a helmet. 

But, in many many cases a helmet prevents head trauma and death. 
This may be such a case whereby the helmet, if worn, makes the difference between life / death / brain damage etc 

My point was the high impact speed, of course if you fall off of the bike at a low speed or get hit at a low speed the helmet should protect you.  However, freak accidents do occur and people die at low speeds as well, broken neck etc...Wearing a helmet is better then wearing nothing at all.

8 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Since he is no longer a police officer, immaterial. Has not been one for many years

Once a police general, always a police general. Despite his inactivity in the police force he is still running around town being called "General". Same with the legalized junta which has been put into place as politicians. The leadership here is still addressed with general, while fugitives like Dr. Thaksin (who is and remains a titular as Dr.) is being referred to "former prime minister" rather than fugitive. 

Just saying; Thais are so bound to titles and face and the generalissimo in this particular case would be puzzled, if anyone would address him as normal "Khun" ......... Irrespective of still in office/power or not, they still call the shots and trust me, nobody would ever stick a parking ticket onto a general's car, be it a second hand old-battered Toyopet or a brand new Porsche! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

My point was the high impact speed, of course if you fall off of the bike at a low speed or get hit at a low speed the helmet should protect you.  However, freak accidents do occur and people die at low speeds as well, broken neck etc...Wearing a helmet is better then wearing nothing at all.

Given your experience you can do a better job of interpreting the photographs than a layman such as myself.

That said, these photos look to me like a survivable accident - its not very clear, but there is not much damage to the front of the Porsche, the rider was tipped up onto the windscreen (as modern cars are designed to do), there doesn’t appear to be a great deal of damage to the motorcycle. 

Thus: were the injuries suffered by the motorcyclist the result of his head colliding with the windscreen and / or road afterwards - i.e. would a helmet have made a difference to to the survivability of this accident?

You [ThailandRya] have been mentioning high speed impact - Does this look like a high speed impact to you ? one in which wearing a helmet or not made no difference to the outcome?.

Screenshot 2022-03-14 at 17.34.36.png

Screenshot 2022-03-14 at 17.35.55.png

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Given your experience you can do a better job of interpreting the photographs than a layman such as myself.

That said, these photos look to me like a survivable accident - its not very clear, but there is not much damage to the front of the Porsche, the rider was tipped up onto the windscreen (as modern cars are designed to do), there doesn’t appear to be a great deal of damage to the motorcycle. 

Thus: were the injuries suffered by the motorcyclist the result of his head colliding with the windscreen and / or road afterwards - i.e. would a helmet have made a difference to to the survivability of this accident?

You [ThailandRya] have been mentioning high speed impact - Does this look like a high speed impact to you ? one in which wearing a helmet or not made no difference to the outcome?.

Screenshot 2022-03-14 at 17.34.36.png

Screenshot 2022-03-14 at 17.35.55.png

Looks like both vehicles were at or near an unknown speed that was pretty similar when the Porsche turned left into the rear of the Motor Bike, thereby doing what is called a pit maneuver, and spinning the bike to the left and ejecting the rider into the hood and up into the windscreen area. The combination of the speed with the marked deceleration of the riders body into the vehicles windscreen could have created enough blunt trauma and force to create a major head injury with or without a helmet on.  The front roof line also appears to be dented or creased, which would indicate tremendous force by impact with a body and could have been caused by rapid deceleration by the driver. Thus the motorbike was launched forward on its left side, sliding along the roadway after the rider was ejected.  Definitely an at speed impact and not a slow speed impact, but as I said I would need accurate measurements of the damage inverse denting etc.. to do a proper kinematics workup.  If the RTP would like to hire me for a few days I could draw the diagram, and create a workable factual diagram of events and determine an approximate speed at impact.

• Like 1

Nobody here has  the FULL fact did the m/c have lights did the rider have a helmet or   a bucket for one (my helmet is a BMW one costing £400 ) sure as hell makes hitting the desk lest painful. So lets not jump on the band wagon against one person just because of rank. I know how Thai Police works but same happens in other countries thought normally not as bad.

Let the court decide, then have a say.

Secondly once your son or daughter grow into adulthood you cannot be responsible for there action. Depends mostly on the upbringing, but even then things do not always work out. Remember everyone is an individual who thinks only for themselves. There are too many equations in the mental outlook of the human mind for all to judge.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, andyman57 said:

All they keep repeating is ex police chief very rich.its not about him his son has taken a life and needs to be punished by law

Just curious how you know it wasn't the scooter driver's fault?

Edit:  Also wondering how you'd feel if you or a loved one were banged up in a Thai prison for decades because of an accident?  A momentary lapse, without a bit of intent or malevolence...

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2