Foreign Affairs Ministry Warns Of Internet Scams

Jai Dee

Foreign Affairs Ministry warns of internet scams

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs reports that there are groups of people from South Africa who are attempting to deceive Thai people and steal their money in many different ways.

These groups of scammers will usually send e-mails to the victims, claiming that they have won a lottery, such as a World Cup lottery worth millions of US dollars. On other occasion, they would email the victims, making up stories that they have an enormous amount of money that needs to be deposited in other people’s account. Then the fraudsters would lure the victims to pay for financial charges in exchange for a larger amount of cash.

The Foreign Affairs Ministry says the e-mails generally are in English and the senders claim that they are businessmen, professors, nurses, or lottery winners. They would also attach false documents to verify their cases. The ministry reveals that some Thai people have been deceived by the scammers and have lost a substantial amount of time and money consequently.

The Foreign Affairs Ministry therefore would like to warn people of these scams, and people should take careful deliberation when receiving such e-mails.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 14 June 2007

And what do you think about this one,a friend of mine in europe recieved a while ago.Doesn't seem to be african originated.

Attention

My name is Pracha Kunakorn a bank manager in a reputable bank in Tepsirin,

Bangkok Thailand.

I am contacting you with the hope of having a private and confidential

business with you. I am writing you asking for your assistance in the

transfer of USD. 20.8M (Twenty Million Eight Hundred Thousand Dollars).

Before I go ahead with my request I will like to inform you that I would

love if could meet to discuss this transaction in person due to its

magnitude, I am taking this urgent move in order to make an acquaintance

with you prior to the time I will be due for an official assignment in

Europe

But first I will like to put in the light of this transaction; close to the

end of 2001 my bank decided to take a major step by changing the policy of

all its branches due to the merger with another bank. Hence due to the

change in policies and top management it became necessary for some major

customers to determine their positions with the bank. Due to the large

amount involved, some of the foreign customer who believed that that new

policy would not benefit them found it hard to transfer their funds as

result of procedures involved and limited time.

A foreign customer approached me in confidence and asked for my assistance

in the transfer of his funds, which I agreed to. I offered my assistance in

the little way I could and I gave him some recommendations. Apparently the

fund was moved from my bank shortly after this time. To my surprise I did

not hear from him afterwards, which really was not what I expected and to

more of my surprise I was contacted by the financial institution I

recommended him to late last year that he has not come to finalize its

transaction.

After proper investigation I discovered that he was involved in an auto

accident that took is life. And the deceased customer did not have on

records with the bank any close relation. Prior to this discovery, I was

compelled to assume responsibility for monitoring this fund, which is quite

difficult for me due to my position in my bank.

My proposal to you is for us to conclude this transaction together, as I

cannot claim this fund by myself. I am ready to share it at ratio 60:40,

60% for me and 40% for you. I will like to assure that this transaction is

risk free, but privacy is required and cannot be compromised. Please send

to me your private email, phone number and fax, so I can give you more

details. Please forward your response to my private email:

[email protected] fax line: + 85230101907.

Regards,

Pracha Kunakorn

Fax: + 85230101907

email: [email protected]

and i keep getting them.... look at this one.....

My Darling .

Good morning.

How are you today together with your healt which is the most important to me,I believe that you are doing well.i am more than happy in your mail today,thank you so much for your cares,love and Understanding.As for me i am fine here with all hopes to meet with you immediately after the transfer of my money to your position for a better life.

God will bless and reward you for every effort you are about to make to see me out from this horrible prison called refugee camp where i am living today as a result of the untimely death of my parents(may their gentle souls rest in peace).

I will be waiting for your call by 4pm i will be waiting for your call then at the church office located in the refugee camp where i am living at moment with this number (00221-2371461)

I thank God for the life of Rev Emmanuel George the pastor of the church located in the camp where i recieve and send emails to you.He is like a father to us here as his church assists united nations here in Senegal in taking care of refugees.

When you call tell him that you want to speak with me so that he will send for me from the females hostel to talk with you about what i am going through here.

Here is the contact information of the bank in Secotland where the money was deposited by my late father is as follows,

Name;ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND.

Email address; ([email protected])

Name of the transfer officer is Mr RAY PAULSON.

Telephone number +447031973979

Fax number +448704795760

Already i have informed this bank about my intention to claim my late father's deposit of which my name appears as the next of king.

The only thing the bank told me is to look for a foreign partner who will assiat me in the transfer due to my refugee status here in Senegal,as a refugee i am not allowed direct claim of the money but through an apionted representative as the united refugee law governing refugee all over the world states.

Based on this information i will like you to send an email to the transfer department of the bank today with this email address: ([email protected])

Attentioned Mr Ray Paulson the foreign transfer officer of the bank telling him that you are my representative and that you want to assist me transfer my 9.7 million dollars deposited by late father of which i am the next of king afterwhich you call me on phone.

THE ACCOUNT INFORMATION ARE AS FOLLOWS.

ACCOUNT NAME IS DR ALIYU SONKHO

AMOUNT 9.7 MILLION DOLLARS.

NEXT OF KIN MISS SUSAN SONKHO

ACCOUNT NUMBER 43483002

God bless you as you do this today by sending email to the Bank.

Awaiting to hear from you again.

Your's in love. Please i am sorry for the number this is the new number (00221-2371461) so i am weting for your call.

Miss Susian.

Not all phishing mails are adressed to greed...some are a bit more sophisticated. Total banksites are rebuild to find out peoples accounts and check in details. Some offer jobs. Phishing seems to evolve quite fast. The nigerian emails are probably the oldest around though...

Foreign Affairs Ministry warns of internet scams

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs reports that there are groups of people from South Africa who are attempting to deceive Thai people and steal their money in many different ways.

These groups of scammers will usually send e-mails to the victims, claiming that they have won a lottery, such as a World Cup lottery worth millions of US dollars. On other occasion, they would email the victims, making up stories that they have an enormous amount of money that needs to be deposited in other people's account. Then the fraudsters would lure the victims to pay for financial charges in exchange for a larger amount of cash.

The Foreign Affairs Ministry says the e-mails generally are in English and the senders claim that they are businessmen, professors, nurses, or lottery winners. They would also attach false documents to verify their cases. The ministry reveals that some Thai people have been deceived by the scammers and have lost a substantial amount of time and money consequently.

The Foreign Affairs Ministry therefore would like to warn people of these scams, and people should take careful deliberation when receiving such e-mails.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 14 June 2007

you learn something everyday :o

Looking at the other side of the coin.

In a game of poker - anyone who ante's up is fair game. All players generally know the score. But how do these scammers live with themselves, stealing through deception & missrepresentation, when they know full well they could be taking the life savings of a little old granny?

Soundman.

PS. If Taksin loses everything - do you think he will try these sorts of scams? I reckon he'd rake in a fortune.

Rather than negativism, let's encourage them to keep up the speed and spirit. In a few years they might discover the phenomenon called "phishing", which is a threat Thai citizens have had to deal with about as long as everybody else... (Just ask my wife how many times I've showed her that that link in the email about account problems - requiring login to her bank account - didn't lead to a website, Bank of Ayuthaya would know about (officially).