Exporting Jewelry ... Business License Required?

Well, I tried mailing 2000 bracelets to America and it's been a month. Roommate still hasn't gotten them, so i'm guessing they got stopped by Thai or USA customs....

Back to the drawing board.. Going to try and take a new set with me on the plane. Anyone know if a business license is required when bringing merchandise such as this through customs at Thai or American airports. How about import/export taxes??

Thanks for the time...

-Damian

Well, I tried mailing 2000 bracelets to America and it's been a month. Roommate still hasn't gotten them, so i'm guessing they got stopped by Thai or USA customs....

Back to the drawing board.. Going to try and take a new set with me on the plane. Anyone know if a business license is required when bringing merchandise such as this through customs at Thai or American airports. How about import/export taxes??

Thanks for the time...

-Damian

US customs most likely, or stolen out of the mail. Having sent things to USA before, it can be a bit slow for investigation that sort of thing. Obviously, if it doesn't go registered mail/courier, then there is every chance it has been swiped.

If the bracelets are counterfeit or brand name, possibly they have been confiscated. Biggest point, next time go UPS/Fedex then at least you know. I used a mail system for a while, but sometimes it would be there in 7 days, other times in 6 weeks. Courier costs more but it gets there fast.

Yikes 2000 , that' s a lot to lose. Firstly don't try sending counterfeit brands.

Send UPS, do a country of origin document and take out extra insurance.

If they get stopped at customs the person receiving will be contacted and billed for duty.

You will be able to track online and see where they are. If lost you claim insurance.

Yikes 2000 , that' s a lot to lose. Firstly don't try sending counterfeit brands.

Send UPS, do a country of origin document and take out extra insurance.

If they get stopped at customs the person receiving will be contacted and billed for duty.

You will be able to track online and see where they are. If lost you claim insurance.

Yea...It was mostly hill tribe stuff. Not real expensive. But with shipping and all it cost me about $600. I'll file the lost package stuff on Thai Post, but for now I'm considering it a loss.

I knew I should of used UPS/FedEx/DHL... Trying to do shit on the cheap and now look what happened....

Damien best to check with customs. I am sure there is a duty 8-10% I used to have the charts.

They snapped up $3000.00 worth of shorts from a friend that had them made in Indo & he had a fine of $1000.00 U.S. if its trinkets & Baubles (small amt) you put in your backpack you can say they are gifts & probably no problem ,but a motherload I would be leary. coming in Thailand pretty lax going into U.S. not

Damien best to check with customs. I am sure there is a duty 8-10% I used to have the charts.

They snapped up $3000.00 worth of shorts from a friend that had them made in Indo & he had a fine of $1000.00 U.S. if its trinkets & Baubles (small amt) you put in your backpack you can say they are gifts & probably no problem ,but a motherload I would be leary. coming in Thailand pretty lax going into U.S. not

You mean customs in Thailand or customs in the US? There is SCANT information...or at least it's well hidden on the net for information on US customs. A phone number would be nice. So much for the information age. But I guess if I had thought this out a little more before I sent them it wouldn't be a problem...

How did you post them? EMS? If so, EMS is pretty reliable but they rarely accept jewellery (if those products are classified as jewellery). I send around 5 20kg boxes per week with EMS and I think only 1 over the last 3 years has gone missing. The biggest problem for me was the UK end....where Parcelforce pick them up and if they can't read part of the address, return them to Thailand without so much as a phone call!

I did once send a small packet of jewellery and low and behold, it got lost. It was untracable with EMS saying it had gone out of Thailand and Parcelforce saying it hadn't come into the UK. Being jewellery, I couldn't claim for the loss. Over 2 months later it just arrived at its destination...all in tact. It been on a lengthy visit to Taiwan. I guess got on the wrong plane!

Personally I avoid FedEx like the plague. Silly amounts of paperwork and awful customer service. The intl couriers 90% get taxed on entry, EMS doesn't. Something to think about.

You mean customs in Thailand or customs in the US? There is SCANT information...or at least it's well hidden on the net for information on US customs. A phone number would be nice. So much for the information age. But I guess if I had thought this out a little more before I sent them it wouldn't be a problem...

U.S. CUSTOMS! :o

How did you post them? EMS? If so, EMS is pretty reliable but they rarely accept jewellery (if those products are classified as jewellery). I send around 5 20kg boxes per week with EMS and I think only 1 over the last 3 years has gone missing. The biggest problem for me was the UK end....where Parcelforce pick them up and if they can't read part of the address, return them to Thailand without so much as a phone call!

I did once send a small packet of jewellery and low and behold, it got lost. It was untracable with EMS saying it had gone out of Thailand and Parcelforce saying it hadn't come into the UK. Being jewellery, I couldn't claim for the loss. Over 2 months later it just arrived at its destination...all in tact. It been on a lengthy visit to Taiwan. I guess got on the wrong plane!

Personally I avoid FedEx like the plague. Silly amounts of paperwork and awful customer service. The intl couriers 90% get taxed on entry, EMS doesn't. Something to think about.

Wow, thanks for the advice and time you took to post. I actually didn't use EMS, I used standard Thai Post. And guess what...They did end up making it. My roommate emailed me and told me they had arrived (5 weeks). I had counted them out...

that seems about right for shipping via sea....in the future just for common knowledge, FEDEX doesnt inspect packages as long as the papework is correct....if they did they wouldnt be able to uphold there time guarantee. :o

whenever i send something via air or ems, there is at the most a 2 day time difference.

You can send jewelry via EMS. It takes roughly a week to make it into the US, however there is only $150 insurance you can claim on it (I think). I have sent jewelry and I always declare them as samples.

Fed-ex is very reliable to enter the US and it costs about 125 USD for a 25 KG box. BUT you have to use their box to get the best rates. That takes about 3 days to get to the first place in the US where it is held until someone can figure out how to pull their head out of the hole in the ground where it is lodged. However, they will leave your box on the doorstep if no-one is home.

Everything gets put into the system and if you send the same things to the same person several times, then you may get flagged as importing.