Thai media wakes up to the fact of war in Europe - No Ukrainians, less Russians as tourism hit again

webfact

russians and ukrainians were coming in large quantities because they wanted to escape war and conscription. 

It was obvious that this trend won't last.

But many would stay for longer, if they can get those promised visas. 

As to koreans - despite strong omicron there for the last few weeks (with over 400k infections daily over the last days), they are planning to lessen travel restrictions, same as thai are doing. So some part of those 2mln coming pre-covid would be returning later this year.

Also singaror is liberalising is just a short flight away. 

Malaysian land border opens in April.

There is a light at the end, not necessarily for tourists, but businessmen, traders and by thai people themselves starting to travel in for family reasons, holidays.

This month there were already 200k incomers, with removal of 5th day testing can get some 400k in the whole March.

Do blame stupid policy of 5th day testing, which lasted over 2 months and stopped high season tourism.

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1

And i hope they wake and see that vietnam open today for tourists.15days visa-free travel for 13 countries.As well including european countries as follows..UK,germany,france,italy,spain,denamrk,sweden,norway and finland.No quarantene,but a negative RT-PCR test 72 hour before ur fligth.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thailand said:

Again, revert to pre-Covid restrictions and the bookings will come in again. Do it soon whilst people are still considering where to go for the upcoming high season, leave it as is and this year will  be another fail.

Even if they open up the borders to the west people are not going to come in the  numbers they were their own countries as well as the world outlook will hurt tourism around the world.

Smart tourism people here should be gearing tourism towards Thais and families.

• Like 1

Just now, GrandPapillon said:

it was never going to work, it was clear from day 1 of COVID, but somehow, in typical Asian stubbornness, they had to try ????

like Singapore, and Australia ????

I disagree a little..... strict measures were beneficial in the early epidemic days, and I believe the efforts of say Oz saved lives from Delta, It is nigh on impossible to hold back Omicron, and better to let it happen and supply the herd immunity their poor vaccines cannot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

South Korea has now joined Hong Kong in massive Omicron outbreaks and higher deaths than ever before in the previous 2 years

that's the problem with those countries that were overzealous with lockdowns and COVID protocols, it created a pockets of "contamination" just waiting to spread

there is also the possibility that a circulating virus gave "immunity" to a large population, and die naturally

• Like 1

Just now, jacko45k said:

I disagree a little..... strict measures were beneficial in the early epidemic days, and I believe the efforts of say Oz saved lives from Delta, It is nigh on impossible to hold back Omicron, and better to let it happen and supply the herd immunity their poor vaccines cannot. 

they might have saved a few lives but at what costs? countries do not have problem to send their people to war and die, or let them die with poverty or lack of healthcare, and somehow, they worry about a few thousands more?

no, the real reason was that COVID was regarded as a "biological war" and that's how government leaders sold it to each other for going to extreme measures. They thought they were under attack. And maybe they were right.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

that's the problem with those countries that were overzealous with lockdowns and COVID protocols, it created a pockets of "contamination" just waiting to spread

there is also the possibility that a circulating virus gave "immunity" to a large population, and die naturally

South Korea never had lockdowns, also not aware of lockdowns in HK

Edited by Bkk Brian

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

South Korea never had lockdowns

I wouldn't believe any numbers coming out of any Asian nation though. They just love to lie and save face to show how strong they are to the world, because of their thin egos.

Edited by GrandPapillon
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

I wouldn't believe any numbers coming out of any Asian nation though. They just love to lie and save face to show how strong they are to the world, because of their thin egos.

Why would SK lie about its huge case numbers and deaths. Surely if they were going to lie it would be to hide them

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

For each and every cloud.......

No Chinese and no Russian tourists.

Bliss! Might actually be able to enjoy the sights again without hordes of tour guides waving their umbrellas in your face, pushing in etc... as they try to guide their sheep, sorry clients from a/c tour coach to sightseeing and back to a/c tour coach!! ????

Could be like tourism in the 1980's and 90's before everything got swamped by greed for thevtourist 'dollar'!!

Edited by Phil1964
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

No Yanks due to CDC telling them not to go. 

I don't think Americans care about what CDC tells them except business travel by large corporations. Most of the countrie in the World are level 4 now according to CDC.

Edited by CartagenaWarlock
  • Like 1