eating salmon for omega-3

fvw53

40 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

So do I.  This is about storing it for some days, not just eating it. 

Ive done this (many) multiple times, cooking salmon (100's of kg at a time) in advance & serving the next day or even 36 hrs later - again these cold cabinets & rooms we call refrigerators are amazing. 

3 minutes ago, eezergood said:

Ive done this (many) multiple times, cooking salmon (100's of kg at a time) in advance & serving the next day or even 36 hrs later - again these cold cabinets & rooms we call refrigerators are amazing. 

As we all know, refrigeration does not stop degradation of food stuffs, it merely slows it down.  For some foods, cheese, butter, some open jars of jam, peanut butter, mayonnaise etc.  for example, this is not a big issue, as they degrade slowly and do not produce toxins until the end stages. For plain rice, noodles ( not well known this) , all shell fish and plain fish, where the first stages of degradation produce some toxins immediately , it can be bad news. You can do it of course, for maybe max 72 hours, ( not rice or shell fish)  but its not advisable.  Its akin to eating shell fish. or indeed any fish that are fresh,  it can be a tad risky.  I do it, many of us do it,  but I'm aware of the risks. 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2022 at 5:07 PM, KhunLA said:

Already cooked (poached) should be fine for couple days in frig.  I've done it myself when extra, say 3 days, and goes in the microwave before eating.  I like mine a little pink in the center, and still .. No prob, though usually not pink after nuked.

Me too.
I like the pink in the centre.

On 3/16/2022 at 5:54 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

We had a thread here a while back about why you DON'T want to eat farmed salmon, which is the vast majority of the product on the market, whether fresh or frozen.  It's disgusting and unhealthy stuff, based on what they're fed and how they're raised.

And they're focusing on the farmed salmon raised in Norway... So how do you think the Asian farm raised salmon is going to fare in comparison?

I remember seeing a couple of documentaries about farmed salmon and how the farming of them, the methods by which they are kept and reared, and the food they are given, does not constitute a healthy fish.

Furthermore because feeding them like this reduces the "pinkness" of the salmon, they are also fed carotene supplements to give the flesh a pink/red look.

I have to admit that I occasionally succumbed to the temptation of smoked salmon (usually the salmon trout sold here) but would never try to consume it as a major source of Omega 3.

On 3/16/2022 at 5:54 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

We had a thread here a while back about why you DON'T want to eat farmed salmon, which is the vast majority of the product on the market, whether fresh or frozen.  It's disgusting and unhealthy stuff, based on what they're fed and how they're raised.

And they're focusing on the farmed salmon raised in Norway... So how do you think the Asian farm raised salmon is going to fare in comparison?

Indeed , there are various qualities of salmon , some of which may be a danger to your health as highlighted in the YouTube documentary that you mentioned . Wild caught pacific salmon are said to be the healthiest but they will not be cheap . Google is your friend in finding the best omega yielding salmon that comes free of most toxins .

Thanks for pointing out that there were recent threads on this subject , cos I thought at first my thread had been revived .

2 hours ago, superal said:

Google is your friend in finding the best omega yielding salmon that comes free of most toxins

I don't eat / drink anything because of their vitamin, mineral content, as haven't a clue about most foods.  I eat & drink because it taste good, and I'm hungry.

Take a multi vit, so don't think I'm deficient in anything worth noting, and fairly healthy.  Read label now & then just to make sure not too unhealthy, though avoid most processed food.

Got too much time on my hands, but not nearly enough to be concerned about omega yields in different salmons and actually source that species of ???? as if any vendor here could come close to providing that info.

Carry that over into all the other foods, and I'd never have time to waste away on AN.

Give me a kilo of ground beef, and what part of the steer was used;

when did you stop the antibody injections

when did you stop the growth hormone injections

when did you slaughter

how long was it hung

did it eat GMO corn / grain

what type of fertilizer did the farmer use

what type of pesticide did the farmer use

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

I don't eat / drink anything because of their vitamin, mineral content, as haven't a clue about most foods.  I eat & drink because it taste good, and I'm hungry.

Take a multi vit, so don't think I'm deficient in anything worth noting, and fairly healthy.  Read label now & then just to make sure not too unhealthy, though avoid most processed food.

Got too much time on my hands, but not nearly enough to be concerned about omega yields in different salmons and actually source that species of ???? as if any vendor here could come close to providing that info.

Carry that over into all the other foods, and I'd never have time to waste away on AN.

Give me a kilo of ground beef, and what part of the steer was used;

when did you stop the antibody injections

when did you stop the growth hormone injections

when did you slaughter

how long was it hung

did it eat GMO corn / grain

what type of fertilizer did the farmer use

what type of pesticide did the farmer use

not JetDoc.gif

May I remind you that the topic concerns omega 3 oil within salmon and not your digression .

1 hour ago, userabcd said:

Probably full of nitrates and who know what other chemicals.

I wouldn't be quick to diss nitrates, as they are actually quite good for you.

As always, moderation.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

On 3/19/2022 at 12:12 PM, worgeordie said:

I buy wild caught Alaskan sockeye salmon , off Alaska king on

shopee , its frozen in portion sizes, I won't eat the farmed salmon,

they also have Haddock ,Pollock ,Wolf fish, Halibut ,Mackerel ,

black Cod. all good.

regards Worgeordie

I actually met this guy, he is a character - I think he may have actually passed away