eating salmon for omega-3

fvw53

I am going to start eating salmon to decrease my triglycerides and increase HDL

The fresh salmons I buy is in packages of 300 gr 

I would like to cut it in 3 pieces of about 100 gr and after poaching eat them every 2 days.

Does somebody know if poached salmon is OK if kept in a refrigerator 2 and 4 days after I ate the first portion?

• Like 1

Should be fine after cooked.  I would recommend buying frozen.  As the fresh you're buying is probably just the frozen they stock, thawed & on display.  Frozen will actually be 'fresher'.

Salmon a favorite, and thanks, as I'm out, need to pick some up.  I get mine from Makro, frozen section, and 4 pcs of filet in half kilo vacuum pack, I think.  So already portioned.

• Like 2

There's been stories lately about how farmed salmon is not all that healthy in terms of the amount and types of fats. That orange colour isn't natural of course. Still better than alternatives I suppose but lean chicken and other fish may be as good. It's still good to eat though. 

I would think it would be nicer to eat cut into bits and frozen and cooked when you want to eat but google says 3 days for cooked fish. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Wouldn't Fish oil tablets work as well?

I love Salmon but eating it every day or every other day, wouldn't you get fed up with it???

Couple times a week would work with me:

Blackened (Cajun) sandwich

w/ Fettuccini Alfredo

Just as meat portion, lots of caramelized onions, w/taters & veggie

Casserole

Add to that Eggs Benedict, compliments ham or bacon nicely

or an omelet

Wrap in puff pastry or roll up in crepe ... oh yea, Salmon works

Hard to keep it in the house when the daughter visits, she'll eat it every day.

Eating fish is a very difficult way to get enough omega 3. Farmed salmon may or may not have Omega 3 levels depending on whether it was fed on fish or soy pellets. if you must eat fish then Mackerel (small blue and silver (Paa saba) has the highest levels and is the most cost effective fish.

l looked at this and realised to get meaningful amounts i.e. 1,000mg/day i had to buy capsules.

Cooked will be fine for 2-3 days without any issues 

Not all fresh salmon has been de-frosted, fresh is flown in weekly - I buy (literally) tons per year 

Yes the prices have gone up recently - try to use the stuff from Aus thats widely available in Macro, I personally know the importer and its good stuff

18 hours ago, mokwit said:

Eating fish is a very difficult way to get enough omega 3. Farmed salmon may or may not have Omega 3 levels depending on whether it was fed on fish or soy pellets. if you must eat fish then Mackerel (small blue and silver (Paa saba) has the highest levels and is the most cost effective fish.

l looked at this and realised to get meaningful amounts i.e. 1,000mg/day i had to buy capsules.

I can read that you too did some internet research but I concluded that poached salmon was an excellent additional source of omega-3

I concluded that Omega-3 capsules have good absorption in the body ONLY if they are re-esterified. Then the capsules become expensive but I still import them.

https://www.naturalproductsinsider.com/heart-health/re-esterified-triglycerides-contain-more-omega-3s

According to many sources 3 oz (85 gr) of salmon deliver 1.8 gr of omega-3 to the body and this as much as 2 expensive re-esterified capsules deliver.

It is obvious that there are still many open questions but I am going to take - as before - 1280 mg capsules daily and eat 3 times a week 3 oz of poached salmon  :  by mid May I have to see again the cardiologist who wants my HDL to go up and my triglycerides to go down.   By that time a new lipid analysis will show the result.

Mackerel delivers also omega-3 but many sources report you cannot eat it too frequently because of the mercury content

2 hours ago, fvw53 said:

Mackerel delivers also omega-3 but many sources report you cannot eat it too frequently because of the mercury content

Do you mean Mackerel as the Thais call it - a thin 2ft long silver fish or mackerel as we call it in Europe - a 12 inch long blue upper striped body silver lower - what the the Thais call Plaa Saba? I think you are right about mercury with big Mackerel but I don't think it is an issue with smaller Plaa Saba type.

• Like 1

As said by other. there are better ways to get your Omega -3 than eating  Salmon every other day. If nothing else , you will get sick of it.

I take a supplement  every evening.

But  also like salmon.  Unfortunately you cant get wild caught here. So I buy the farm raised, that I hear is not very good for you and the environment. 

I have a vacuum sealer and I vacuum seal individual servings. 

When vacuum-sealed and properly stored in the freezer, fish can last for as long as two years. 

Edited by sirineou

23 hours ago, fvw53 said:

Does somebody know if poached salmon is OK if kept in a refrigerator 2 and 4 days after I ate the first portion?

Love Salmon but I wouldn't leave it in the fridge overnight, never mind for a couple of days.  Eat it all in one go would be my advice, too risky to leave it. 

12 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

Love Salmon but I wouldn't leave it in the fridge overnight, never mind for a couple of days.  Eat it all in one go would be my advice, too risky to leave it. 

Already cooked (poached) should be fine for couple days in frig.  I've done it myself when extra, say 3 days, and goes in the microwave before eating.  I like mine a little pink in the center, and still .. No prob, though usually not pink after nuked.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, sirineou said:

Unfortunately you cant get wild caught here.

I haven't checked recently but you can/could get wild caught Canadian Pacific Salmon species in Villa Market. Unfortunately the texture had been destroyed by freezing to sterilise ahead of vacuum sealing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mokwit said:

I haven't checked recently but you can/could get wild caught Canadian Pacific Salmon species in Villa Market. Unfortunately the texture had been destroyed by freezing to sterilise ahead of vacuum sealing.

I will keep an eye out for it next time I am there. I used to stop by on our way back from Nong Khai , (we use to go there often pe-covid for a drive into Laos and the tariff free zone shopping) . But I had not noticed the wild cough Salmon. 

I bet it was  too expensive , and for us in Khon Kaen over an hour drive.  

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

I will keep an eye out for it next time I am there. I used to stop by on our way back from Nong Khai , (we use to go there often pe-covid for a drive into Laos and the tariff free zone shopping) . But I had not noticed the wild cough Salmon. 

I bet it was  too expensive , and for us in Khon Kaen over an hour drive.  

Not spending more than 600-700 for kg of salmon, so it's farm raised for me.  Ain't no meat worth 2000+ a kg, and that on the cheap side for 'better' salmon.  My taste buds aren't that particular.

10 hours ago, internationalism said:

that's 760b/kg with probably than less than 50% salmon.

Macro frozen belly 200b/kg, mince 90b/kg

It's junk food - you pay for easy grab/eat.  But might be an alternative to other pork or chicken at times, which if less than 99% fat do cost about the same.   Not really trying to eat salmon but had not seen before.

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

I bet it was  too expensive ,

Not too expensive - perhaps a little more than farmed but Canadian Pacific salmon runs are huge and they just jump obligingly into nets and that is reflected in the price. Note it is cut across like a Mackerel, not along the length like farmed smoked salmon in packs.

those makro salmon bellies might be already smoked and ready to eat. I never had them here. Certainly in europe bellies are smoked (and dirt cheap, use to be e4 kg).

As they are scrapes, small pieces, doing them in microwave would be fast.

Once in tesco I got smoked bellies for some 100b/kg, that was at fish stall (not prepacked or frozen). That was one off, never seen again.

17 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

Why?

Total nonsense, you can very easily store for multiple days fresh & cooked 

• Like 1

I cook salmon in my air fryer on the broil setting. Once it's cooked you can safely keep it for several days in the fridge. I put it in a ziploc bag. Been doing this for many years with no problem. Nonsense to think you have to eat it all immediately after cooking. That's what refrigerators are for.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

I cook salmon in my air fryer on the broil setting. Once it's cooked you can safely keep it for several days in the fridge. I put it in a ziploc bag. Been doing this for many years with no problem. Nonsense to think you have to eat it all immediately after cooking. That's what refrigerators are for.

quite

On 3/18/2022 at 10:39 AM, Doctor Tom said:

good luck. 

ive made it successfully into my 4th decade (eating salmon consistently)  and cooked (probably) close multiple tons of salmon with zero deaths 

I must be the luckiest bloke alive........ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, eezergood said:

ive made it successfully into my 4th decade (eating salmon consistently)  and cooked (probably) close multiple tons of salmon with zero deaths 

I must be the luckiest bloke alive........ 

So do I.  This is about storing it for some days, not just eating it.