Opinion: It should not require a national tragedy to push us to change our driving habits

webfact

On 3/17/2022 at 7:15 PM, TunnelRat69 said:

You know, I see this comment "Change the rules, Thai people just wouldn't accept it"  I am wondering "What choice do they have, give them enough fines and they will learn the law"   The laws are on the books, they just have to be enforced...........consistantly, without bribery and corrupt Police.  Yeah, pipe dream I know, but when they start confiscating motorbikes AND cars for awhile - then people will listen - eventually.  There comes a time when you have to bring the hammer down. 

Okay, I'll get the popcorn and wait for the flamers.............Peace

An addendum to this - I lived in Cambodia for 2 years in early Nineties (Wild Wild West days) tens of thousands of motorcycles, you could literally walk into one end of Russian Market start picking your parts, and drive out the other end on a motorcycle..complete with registration and plates........but when people started breaking the Laws, the police would stop you, confiscate your Moto for a few hours, make you clean the streets etc etc etc...........then the roads started becoming organized chaos, but Traffic Police were everywhere.  Same in Vietnam.............there are so many motorcycles, it's almost like there are more Moto's on the road than People..............the Police will confiscate your Moto in a heartbeat, they have parking lots full of them - waiting for people to pay the fines, no pay, no motorcycle.  No excuses like "How am I going to get to work, school, markets??"  Bribery??  probably happens, but when you can spend 10 years in prison for accepting a bribe over $400 USD, how many cops are willing to try................ they  auction most of them off I am told.

It seems that Thailand only confiscates the ones that are involved in street racing..........dunno.........I only know what I read.

Peace

On 3/17/2022 at 9:50 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Law enforcement.

This is the problem, police are not doing their job.

I was pulled over recently, riding my motorbike on the wrong side of the road, I traveled about 30 meters in the wrong direction.

I'm not complaining but I was surprised I got a ticket. I got pulled over by a cop on a white marked PCX150. I see these cops riding past the Thais breaking the law (no documents, no helmet, 4 on a bike, loud exhaust etc.) and they do nothing. 

Like I said, I'm not complaining about my ticket.

I always wear a helmet, mask, have tax and insurance paid but the Thais breaking the law and not given a ticket just encourages this poor behavior. I see plenty of police officers on the roads but they do nothing. 

Sad, all the deaths on the roads. 

Proper policing would change things. 

The police break the laws as well.

17 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

An addendum to this - I lived in Cambodia for 2 years in early Nineties (Wild Wild West days) tens of thousands of motorcycles, you could literally walk into one end of Russian Market start picking your parts, and drive out the other end on a motorcycle..complete with registration and plates........but when people started breaking the Laws, the police would stop you, confiscate your Moto for a few hours, make you clean the streets etc etc etc...........then the roads started becoming organized chaos, but Traffic Police were everywhere.  Same in Vietnam.............there are so many motorcycles, it's almost like there are more Moto's on the road than People..............the Police will confiscate your Moto in a heartbeat, they have parking lots full of them - waiting for people to pay the fines, no pay, no motorcycle.  No excuses like "How am I going to get to work, school, markets??"  Bribery??  probably happens, but when you can spend 10 years in prison for accepting a bribe over $400 USD, how many cops are willing to try................ they  auction most of them off I am told.

It seems that Thailand only confiscates the ones that are involved in street racing..........dunno.........I only know what I read.

Peace

That's probably why the number of deaths as a percentage is higher in Thailand than in other countries with similar high numbers of motorbikes. Such as those you mentioned. 

Of course it isn't just those on motorcycles that need to be looked at. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 10:16 AM, VocalNeal said:

Over 100 in the USA.

Younger drivers are more likely to be involved in an accident. 

Something like half the population is under 25. 

Etc, etc.

I'm sure you know this but you need to work with percentages not just compare absolute numbers between counties with vastly different populations.

2 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

“ small motorbikes, below 150 cc“ if you prefer, mr pedantic. 

Renting a Moped/Scooter in Thailand

The easiest and most exciting way to get around Thailand is to rent a moped!  Me, Shay and Tyler rented mopeds for multiple days on two different islands in the south of Thailand, (Kho Samui, and Kho Tao).  If you find yourself on one of the islands or in a rural village, there is absolutely no better way to have fun.

How to rent a Moped in Thailand

Once you arrive on one of the islands, get off the ferry, walk into the city, look around at one of the dozens of moped-rental shops, and find a place you like.  This isn't really a place for price-haggling since the prices are pretty much set ahead of time, and these guys really can't be making much of a profit.  The mopeds cost only 150 Thai Baht per day ($4.19 USD), 200 Baht for a nice, brand new 125cc moped, 300 Baht for a small motorcycle.  Those are flat rates, there are no hidden fees or any extra costs or taxes like at a car rental company.  It's 150 Baht per day, period.  You sign your name on a piece of paper, give them one of your passports, and that's it, you have a moped for however many days you wish. 

5 hours ago, kimamey said:

The police break the laws as well.

There is only Culture here. That is why laws are enforced or invented here only for money or favour. That’s how they like it & it’s their country, in which we are GUESTS, so foreigners should stop uselessly applying western standards here ( except in medical procedures) ….unless R. Barrow fanboys????

On 3/19/2022 at 7:15 AM, placeholder said:

But they do have motorbikes. Lots and lots of motorbikes. In the USA motorcyclists have 29 times the death rate per mile traveled as do automobile drivers. 

Yes, it’s surprising that road deaths in USA appear as the highest in the developed world, almost Poor Nation African / Asian rates … despite I suppose rigorous enforcement of tests / licenses/ insurance/ laws, etc……oh but wait…

42 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Renting a Moped/Scooter in Thailand

The easiest and most exciting way to get around Thailand is to rent a moped!  Me, Shay and Tyler rented mopeds for multiple days on two different islands in the south of Thailand, (Kho Samui, and Kho Tao).  If you find yourself on one of the islands or in a rural village, there is absolutely no better way to have fun.

How to rent a Moped in Thailand

Once you arrive on one of the islands, get off the ferry, walk into the city, look around at one of the dozens of moped-rental shops, and find a place you like.  This isn't really a place for price-haggling since the prices are pretty much set ahead of time, and these guys really can't be making much of a profit.  The mopeds cost only 150 Thai Baht per day ($4.19 USD), 200 Baht for a nice, brand new 125cc moped, 300 Baht for a small motorcycle.  Those are flat rates, there are no hidden fees or any extra costs or taxes like at a car rental company.  It's 150 Baht per day, period.  You sign your name on a piece of paper, give them one of your passports, and that's it, you have a moped for however many days you wish. 

That's almost 6 yr old advice ... more like 250-300 a day for a Honda Click.  I used to rent scooter on some days, even when I self drove there, as parking can be a challenge, and prefer (used to) drive 2 wheels instead of the car.  Plus eliminated risk of car being involved in accident or scratched up.

Same for when in Krung Thep, I'll take public trans / taxi, even having our car with us.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

There is only Culture here. That is why laws are enforced or invented here only for money or favour. That’s how they like it & it’s their country, in which we are GUESTS, so foreigners should stop uselessly applying western standards here ( except in medical procedures) ….unless R. Barrow fanboys????

I was merely stating a fact. 

Is it really how they like it? If it is why does the government and various other Thai bodies and institutions always claim they want to do something about it? They seem to have the same objective as westerners and others who don't like the road deaths they just don't have the ability to do anything about it.  Why aren't they applauding the fact that the high road deaths in Thailand are what they want?

My Thai family certainly don't want it this way and I know others with the same view. 

23 hours ago, kimamey said:

I was merely stating a fact. 

Is it really how they like it? If it is why does the government and various other Thai bodies and institutions always claim they want to do something about it? They seem to have the same objective as westerners and others who don't like the road deaths they just don't have the ability to do anything about it.  Why aren't they applauding the fact that the high road deaths in Thailand are what they want?

My Thai family certainly don't want it this way and I know others with the same view. 

They must want it or prefer it this way as it’s never changed one iota and clearly never will.
Of course they don’t want to do what’s required to change it like banning all small motorbikes ( below 150cc) to save 20k young Thai lives a year. Or enforcing proper driving tests. Or speed limit 50kph for small motorbikes, whatever.

Too much effort and against Culture. Plus very low value of life here. They can always be reborn.