###### - I Need A Chocolate Thickshake Bad

Wizzard of Oz

You heard me. I need a chocolate thickshake. I need it bad. I haven't had a hit in a while and am starting to get the shakes - from not having any shakes (get it? =P - ok sorry for that pun)

And it has to have ice cream to be a real thickshake!

If you know of any around nimman/KSK lemme know.

If not - let me know of any others.

Dayem - I need a chocolate thickshake. I need it baaad.

P.S. Why on earth is the word D-A-M-N banned? How on earth is that a bad word? Wonder if they censor out the word "goodness" in case someone says "my goodness"?

Edited by Wizzard of Oz

You heard me. I need a chocolate thickshake. I need it bad. I haven't had a hit in a while and am starting to get the shakes - from not having any shakes (get it? =P - ok sorry for that pun)

And it has to have ice cream to be a real thickshake!

If you know of any around nimman/KSK lemme know.

If not - let me know of any others.

Dayem - I need a chocolate thickshake. I need it baaad.

P.S. Why on earth is the word D-A-M-N banned? How on earth is that a bad word? Wonder if they censor out the word "goodness" in case someone says "my goodness"?

Just checked the oxford english re. the censoring of the D word.  Cant make no sense of it, maybe the  censor doesnt understand the word or it means something quite different to them.

Chocolate milk shake sounds d good to me

Edited by observer21

Haagen Dazs at the night bazaar is pretty dependable. Mike's Burger's is serviceable. Neither one is super-thick. I like medium thick myself, just ice cream and milk, no syrup. If you're gonna need a regular fix, you could buy Haagen Dazs at Topp's or Rimping and make your own, as thick as you want.

So..if i spot someone around the Nimmenhemin area with either a crazed expression (pre-taste) holding onto a huge thick chocolate milkshake or, someone with an empty takeout cup with traces of chocolate on his shirt looking like he just found nirvana..chances are Ive just found the Wizzard of Oz.

So..if i spot someone around the Nimmenhemin area with either a crazed expression (pre-taste) holding onto a huge thick chocolate milkshake or, someone with an empty takeout cup with traces of chocolate on his shirt looking like he just found nirvana..chances are Ive just found the Wizzard of Oz.

Or Austhaied.. :o

I love to eat and am not cheap about it, however, Hagen Daz just seems like a waste of money to me.

Ice cream at Baskin and Robbins is almost the same quality for about 1/2 the price and the shakes at Swensons are AMAZING for a fraction of the price! :o

I love to eat and am not cheap about it, however, Hagen Daz just seems like a waste of money to me.

Ice cream at Baskin and Robbins is almost the same quality for about 1/2 the price and the shakes at Swensons are AMAZING for a fraction of the price! :o

I used to be quite the choc shake fiend. Probably something around 3-4 a week. What can I say, I'm a "health-conscious" American. It was also my 1st food of choice for a hang-over. When I had what I would call an "outpatient-level" hanger, the only thing I could keep down was a great shake, or maybe a quarter-pounder, or both. I always get one at H-D in LAX (8 bucks, though!) when flying back to BKK, whenever I go home.

I agree that H-D is expensive (180 THB last time, I think) for what you get. I maybe get one a month. If you want that H-D chocolate taste, though, it works, though still with the slightly "off"(for me) taste of Thai milk. I've loved it for I don't know how long, 30 years now, however long it's been around, so a guilty pleasure, along the lines of when I go out of my mind some day and spend 290 THB on box of Kraft MacNCheese at the Rimping. Now that I think about it, even the super-market prices for H-D and Ben&Jerrys is 299 THB for a pint, which would probably make two small shakes. Pretty indulgent by my CM standards as well.

Mikes for 50 THB does a good version of roadside burger-joint shake, small, but good enough, especially when you just need a choc fix. I'll give Baskins (we used to call it "31 flavors") and Swensen's a shot. I knew UG would have been there and was going to recommend him as a "more traveled" gourmand in CM than me! UG, how's Swensen's compared to the ones in S.F.?

Chocolate shake dissertation complete!

Edited by calibanjr.

UG, how's Swensen's compared to the ones in S.F.?

I would probably not bother with Swensons if I was in S.F..

Double Rainbow on Polk street was the big award winner when I lived there, but it has been almost 20 years, so who knows who is hot there now?

When I was a very young lad, I lived in Burlington Vermont and frequented an old gas station that had been transformed into a hippy restaurant called "The Place" near City Hall Park.

The owners finally lost their lease, but one of my buddies continued to sleep on one of the tables in a stoned haze until the new owners came there and threw him out.

It was Ben and Jerry and that became their first ever ice cream shop! :o

UG, how's Swensen's compared to the ones in S.F.?

I would probably not bother with Swensons if I was in S.F..

Double Rainbow on Polk street was the big award winner when I lived there, but it has been almost 20 years, so who knows who is hot there now?

When I was a very young lad, I lived in Burlington Vermont and frequented an old gas station that had been transformed into a hippy restaurant called "The Place" near City Hall Park.

The owners finally lost their lease, but one of my buddies continued to sleep on one of the tables in a stoned haze until the new owners came there and threw him out.

It was Ben and Jerry and that became their first ever ice cream shop! :o

Double Rainbow (well, one of 'em, there were a lot, Polk, Union Sq., Pac. Heights) was a few blocks around the corner from my place at Larkin and California. ###### good. 'Course we could talk about great S.F., or Boston, or wherever ice cream all day (let's don't even get started on gelato). We're treading on the "where's decent ice cream in CM" territory here, just gonna make me hungry.

BTW, I dig on B&J ice cream, but in a pinch, pure H-D chocolate is my fall-back favorite. Too bad your buddy didn't become "man Friday" about the place. We got a "brushes with greatness/opportunity" thread there! Apropos of that, don't ask me about my brush with opportunity stories with google or ebay, it will test your faith in my veracity and my stomach lining.

U.G. I think McD's used to have Trans fat added....just to give it body!!! Have you tried the ice cream place just before the MacCormack Hospital, on the right hand side. I think its on the corner of the same road where the Brit. Consulate and DaaLaaBaa restaurant is?

U.G. I think McD's used to have Trans fat added....just to give it body!!! Have you tried the ice cream place just before the MacCormack Hospital, on the right hand side. I think its on the corner of the same road where the Brit. Consulate and DaaLaaBaa restaurant is?

It's called Buds Ice Cream. There is also a branch on Nimmenhemin Rd. Not sure if they have thickshakes.

Buds was just the local neighborhood ice cream in S.F., but a good one. In Thailand, I find it has almost always melted and been refrozen and the texture isn't "premium" any more.

Too bad! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

I don't know what a "Hernia" shake is Loi Kroh Boy, but I had a vanilla one at BK yesterday and it was pretty good for 60 baht.

I have to wonder, are they really made from dairy products? Are there trans-fats added? :o

In Oz parlance we would ask for a "slack mac and a hernia shake" ie a Macdonald burger and a thick shake. It is called a hernia shake because that is the feeling you are getting as you try to suck the stuff through a straw.

All the fast food chains such as McDonalds and BK use non dairy creamery - they cannot call it a milk shake or icecream. In McDonald's case they can barely call their burgers food. :D

CB

It's called Buds Ice Cream. There is also a branch on Nimmenhemin Rd. Not sure if they have thickshakes.

Buds is also on the corner of Nawarat and Bumrung roads near the Princes Royal School. I had icecream there once - nice, don't know what else they do except they advertised fried icecream? Not sure if it is the same as in HK where they cover it with biscuit crumbs and deep fry it until the outside is crisp but the inside is still frozen.

CB

I just had teh best burger I've ever eaten.

Ever.

In my whole life.

I'm gonna die in the next few hours after all that grease is digested and clogs up my arteries - BUT WHAT A WAY TO GO!

I went to Mikes on Niman soi 2

I got the Double Double (cheese burger) - so it had 2 patties (I only ate at Miokes once before and had the fish and it was very so so)

Anyway - back to my Double Double.

The mince was OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!!!

And complemented with a chocolate thick shake (thanks to the guys on this thread who said to try there) made in an easy 10/10.

It was pretty ###### pricey getting a super sized meal with the thick shake (195b), but the burger and thickshake were so filling that I will prog just get the burger and thick shake and no "meal deal" next time. Prob like 160b or so.

Side note - the thick shake was unreal too. Thanks for the suggestion guys.

Woz (Satisfiiieeeed - with not so happy arteries :o)

Ever.

In my whole life.

I'm gonna die in the next few hours after all that grease is digested and clogs up my arteries - BUT WHAT A WAY TO GO!

I got the Double Double (cheese burger) - so it had 2 patties (I only ate at Miokes once before and had the fish and it was very so so)

And complemented with a chocolate thick shake (thanks to the guys on this thread who said to try there) made in an easy 10/10.I accept payment in beer thanksvictory.gif

It was pretty ###### pricey getting a super sized meal with the thick shake (195b), but the burger and thickshake were so filling that I will prog just get the burger and thick shake and no "meal deal" next time. Prob like 160b or so.

Woz (Satisfiiieeeed - with not so happy arteries :o)

Buds was just the local neighborhood ice cream in S.F., but a good one. In Thailand, I find it has almost always melted and been refrozen and the texture isn't "premium" any more.

Too bad! :o

I sometimes found the same thing, melted and refrozen, with their ice cream in the supermarkets but not with what I got at the Buds outlet where they also sell hand packed to take home.

Gee you guys...talk about subliminal advertsing...all these talk about chocolate milkshakes just made me get my staff to get one from the nearby Baskin Robbins Store. Thanks A LOT!

Hopefully the subliminal messages didn't cause you to send her from BKK to CNX for the shake :o

CB

May I add that if anyone knows of proper ICED CHOCOLATE in the bankok area, please continue the list here...I will come back to check....ok so not exactly ChiangMai related....PM me perhaps....

you have no idea how impossible it is to get real iced chocolate around here :o

May I add that if anyone knows of proper ICED CHOCOLATE in the bankok area, please continue the list here...I will come back to check....ok so not exactly ChiangMai related....PM me perhaps....

you have no idea how impossible it is to get real iced chocolate around here :o

MiG going out on a limb here because I am wary of suggesting anything to you about chocolate but don't Starbucks do iced chocolate with the syrup in the glass and add milk and icecream? Mind you if their chocolate is anything like their coffee I can understand you dismissing them.

Good to see you up here, I thougth you may be doing a reccie in preparation for the bbq

CB

Ever.

In my whole life.

And complemented with a chocolate thick shake (thanks to the guys on this thread who said to try there) made in an easy 10/10.

Woz (Satisfiiieeeed - with not so happy arteries :D)

That'l put some jiggle in yir wiggle! :o

fatmandr9.gif