Buying A Condo Without Agent - Lawyer's Role And Duties

I am a prospective first time Thailand condo resale buyer in the Pattaya-Jomtien area.  It is a private sale with no real estate agent involved.

Obviously I need to get a lawyer.  But I want to understand the buying process before I contact a lawyer.  Exactly what functions does a good real estate perform?   Especially since there is no real estate agent involved, I would want my lawyer to examine and verify the chanote before I leave a deposit with the seller.   

What are typical attorney fees for the various part of the buying process?  What questions should I ask my prospective lawyer before he is retained?  Is it typical for the buyer or seller to draft the contract?  Are there any big mistakes to avoid?

I have been googling around for info but if you happen to know a good article about the buying process without an estate agent then please drop a link. 

Thanks.   ????

Obviously you do not necessarily need to get a lawyer.

For what exactly? Get the papers from the juristic stating that there are no outstanding maintenance fees and farang ownership is below 50%, have the money ready and go the land department on the appointed day set by seller/sellers bank...

• Like 2

Ask a lawyer to list what they will do for the money, I'm not convinced they'll have a list.

Paying a deposit isn't compulsory, i just said no, paying a deposit puts all the power in the sellers hands, if you discover something you don't like you won't get the deposit back

• Like 2

There is really no need for a lawyer, everything is checked and done at the land office. If the seller isn't the owner , a mortgage etc, the land office wont transfer the title.

As above, buyer takes an FET showing funds from overseas, and usually a cashiers check for payment, some cash for transfer fees. Seller takes Chanote, letter from condo block showing foreign quota, some cash for transfer fees.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would encourage you to hire a real estate lawyer.  Good insurance in my opinion as you are dealing with documents written in Thai.

The mother of a friend of mine bought a unit in our building.  Neither mother or son were fluent in Thai.  Son's GF was willing to help "facilitate" the transaction.  Guess what, GF put herself as 50% owner of the condo.  GF and son split up, but she is still half owner of the condo.  Free money for her.

Do not know the final outcome, but I expect they had to give her a big bag of money to take her name of the title.