Will Smith punches Chris Rock at Oscars

Thailand

38 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Judges in the U.S., activist or not, don't initiate or cause to be initiated misdemeanor criminal cases that neither the police nor prosecutors have advanced into the court system.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. and they always act according to a strict ethical code, and there's never any back room or golf course meetings.  Acting out of the norm is kind of the definition of an activist judge.   I didn't say the judge would bring charges, I said "change things".

This thing has absolutely exploded on the interweb, and what happens next is anyone's guess. It wouldn't surprise me for another guest to file a report, claiming they felt threatened and forcing an investigation.  That's not a forecast, BTW.  There's 100 ways this could play out.  Especially in an election year.  You can bet the pols will be posturing on this one.

Here's a defense attorney/ former prosecutor weighing in. 

Basically, it is simple battery in Ca, it is a misdemeanor, it can be prosecuted in the absence of a complaint filed by the victim, but that's rarely done. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Yeah, yeah, yeah. and they always act according to a strict ethical code, and there's never any back room or golf course meetings.  Acting out of the norm is kind of the definition of an activist judge.   I didn't say the judge would bring charges, I said "change things".

This thing has absolutely exploded on the interweb, and what happens next is anyone's guess. It wouldn't surprise me for another guest to file a report, claiming they felt threatened and forcing an investigation.  That's not a forecast, BTW.  There's 100 ways this could play out.  Especially in an election year.  You can bet the pols will be posturing on this one.

No.

There is no way this becomes an election year political issue. 

The only possible consequence the violent offender MAY face is being banned from future industry events. 

2 hours ago, cdemundo said:

I think it's great fun.

A little violence in the boring ceremony.

Great celebrity gossip for a few weeks.

Rock apparently not injured.

Gotta say Will Smith seems to be aging better than Chris Rock.

The biggest gossip seems to be that Smith's marriage is a mess. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, davidst01 said:

and what would this conviction be if it went to trial? Would he have to do time or money compensation?

thanks

Misdemeanor in California is maximum 1 year but likely no jail time no in most cases.  Money compensation only if one is sued in Civil Court.

14 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

There appears to be a pretty serious back story...

The GI Jane 2 joke was a reference to Jada Pinket's bald head, shaved due to a recent diagnosis of alopecia. So Chris Rock was joking about Will Smith's wife's medical condition, which does make it a little more understandable why he over-reacted. He did tearfully apologize during his acceptance speech. Still, a disappointing display of poor behavior, which sadly feeds unfair stereotypes about black men. I prefer to focus on the Ketanji Brown Jackson confirmation hearings which should be a source of pride and hope for all Americans.

FOkutNqVQAIDvxg.jpg.a465f8b8fffe24b5490c3cb53e360f98.jpg

That was NOT an apology!

I assumed everyone already knew that backstory. 

That was a reason to maybe get upset (if you don't have a sense of humor, but on the other hand it wasn't a great joke in the first place) but not an excuse for violence.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ukrules said:

Indeed, if someone hits me I tend to hit them back if I'm still consciouss.

I would like to think that had Will Smith done this to me I'd knock him clean out and they'd have to stretcher him out of the building for treatment, like an injured footballer ????????

Most people would have reacted like that. And it is likely Rock could have whipped him into total submission. The fact that he did not was what was so remarkable and elegant. 

Two black men fighting on an Oscar stage? Would have been the end of any progress for people of color in the movies. Rock did a great service to his community. Pinkett now looks like even more of a fool than she already looked like, and Smith? What can one say? An angry, overly entitled, super rich thug. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

The biggest gossip seems to be that Smith's marriage is a mess. 

He appears to be a totally emasculated half man. And very disenchanted with his life. 

That stunt had to be some sort of over compensation for a lack of self esteem. I would have poor self esteem too, living with a woman like that. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, tlcwaterfall said:

I believe Chris Smith would love to get a huge settlement from Will Smith.????

Chris Rock on the other hand most likely doesn't need the money.

Rock showed what a graceful man he is. Water off a duck's back. He shook it off like it was the little wimp slap it was, and moved right on. Likely Rock could have wasted Smith. But, he didn't, and that is the most remarkable part of this. 

15 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Wow, he was not kidding.  If Chris Smith was actually slapped or punched if could be an Assault and Battery under California Penal Code Sections 240 and 242.  In the end he won Best Actor.  

Only if the person wanted charges pressed, which Rock has stated he will not do

12 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Boxers do fake trash talk why not actors

Smith is not a dumb guy. How could he have agreed, knowing how poorly it would have reflected on him and his brand? I don't buy it being a planned stunt. If so, he would not have been laughing first.

It was the reaction of a desperate and highly emasculated man, pretending to defend his horrible wife. It was an abomination. He is a boil on the face of the male gender, a total wimp, and Rock is the man! 

Edited by spidermike007

29 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That was NOT an apology!

I assumed everyone already knew that backstory. 

That was a reason to maybe get upset (if you don't have a sense of humor, but on the other hand it wasn't a great joke in the first place) but not an excuse for violence.

One does not make jokes a persons medical issues, it is akin to racism or any other "ism" .

Smith should have handled the matter, and do women need men to "defend " them, or is this masculinity at its worst?

14 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Most people would have reacted like that. And it is likely Rock could have whipped him into total submission. The fact that he did not was what was so remarkable and elegant. 

Two black men fighting on an Oscar stage? Would have been the end of any progress for people of color in the movies. Rock did a great service to his community. Pinkett now looks like even more of a fool than she already looked like, and Smith? What can one say? An angry, overly entitled, super rich thug. 

I actually don't think Smith will be very damaged by this. Possibly the opposite. Sadly a lot of people liked his behavior.

1 minute ago, RJRS1301 said:

One does not make jokes a persons medical issues, it is akin to racism or any other "ism" .

Smith should have handled the matter, and do women need men to "defend " them, or is this masculinity at its worst?

Ever seen a roast? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Ever seen a roast? 

They are done with the person being roasted  consenting and willing to allow themselves to be ridiculed. 

The woman has a medical condition, the joke was not only lame but tasteless and offensive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I actually don't think Smith will be very damaged by this. Possibly the opposite. Sadly a lot of people liked his behavior.

I don't agree. Most seem to be appalled. Been reading about the reactions which I think will get worse over time. What he did was way over the line. Both the wimp slap and calling him out and interrupting the ceremony. Really bad form. Incredibly clumsy, inelegant, low class, thuggish, and juvenile. Rock reacted really well. His stock will rise.