Cash advance with Thai credit card - any hidden fees?

I'm away from home and foolishly forgot my Bangkok bank debit card and I'm running short of cash. I have a Bangkok bank credit card with me, and transferred extra money to it to be on the plus side. If I do cash advance with my credit card would Bangkok bank charge me interest or some other fees? They have the fees on their web site but all in Thai.

If you still have a Bangkok Bank debit card you are one lucky guy!

I had a Bangkok Bank debit card, and when it expired a year or so ago they refused to renew it saying they no longer do debit cards and could only give me an ATM card.  This has proven to be a completely useless item, more often than not it refuses to work in Bangkok Bank ATM's and of course won't work in the ATM's of other banks and cannot be used to pay bills.

So last Monday I had to go into the bank to get a new bank book, which in itself is an exercise in dramatic futility needing not less that 8 signatures on different bits of paper, and as my wife is an authorised signatory (her signature visible under UB light) she had to produce her I/D card, and also fill in several forms and sign each one twice (why twice??). I need to get the book because of Immigration requirements next week!

So while there I strongly complained about the ATM card being virtually useless to me and asking for one of the either Visa or Mastercard Debit cards advertised on their web site. So they lied to me, "oh no" they exclaimed, "These were only stopped very recently" when they were the same staff who refused me 18 months ago so hardly recent.

Once I have dealt with immigration next week I think I'll go back to Kasikorn Bank with whom I had an unused and subsequently cancelled account with debit card before. They seem to have loads of ATM's and in any case with a debit card I can use any one else's ATM and pay bills. So getting an account with them plus a debit card and closing Bangkok Bank account makes sense.

Not sure if it's only farang Bangkok Bank are discriminating against but even getting a replacement passbook is now getting harder and harder to the point of stubborn arrant stupidity!

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

If you have the Bangkok Bank mobile app, why not use the cardless withdrawal option.

You don't need a debit card to withdraw cash from BBL ATMs.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Digital-Banking/Bualuang-mBanking/How-to-Use/Cardless-Withdrawal

Thanks, I do have the mobile app, will try this today.

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

When you take credit, you pay interest.

I loaded cash in the card via the mobile app, on theory shouldn't pay interest. I used to withdraw cash this way via my Aussie credit cards, but now they started charging fees - not interest if the cash is preloaded.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, gearbox said:

I loaded cash in the card via the mobile app, on theory shouldn't pay interest. I used to withdraw cash this way via my Aussie credit cards, but now they started charging fees - not interest if the cash is preloaded.

If you preload, you don't take credit and then it isn't an cash advance.

Edited by FritsSikkink

11 hours ago, blackcab said:

If you have the Bangkok Bank mobile app, why not use the cardless withdrawal option.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Digital-Banking/Bualuang-mBanking/How-to-Use/Cardless-Withdrawal

Followed the instructions in the link and did withdrawal without any problems. Thanks again.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cliveshep said:

If you still have a Bangkok Bank debit card you are one lucky guy!

I had a Bangkok Bank debit card, and when it expired a year or so ago they refused to renew it saying they no longer do debit cards and could only give me an ATM card.  This has proven to be a completely useless item, more often than not it refuses to work in Bangkok Bank ATM's and of course won't work in the ATM's of other banks and cannot be used to pay bills.

So last Monday I had to go into the bank to get a new bank book, which in itself is an exercise in dramatic futility needing not less that 8 signatures on different bits of paper, and as my wife is an authorised signatory (her signature visible under UB light) she had to produce her I/D card, and also fill in several forms and sign each one twice (why twice??). I need to get the book because of Immigration requirements next week!

So while there I strongly complained about the ATM card being virtually useless to me and asking for one of the either Visa or Mastercard Debit cards advertised on their web site. So they lied to me, "oh no" they exclaimed, "These were only stopped very recently" when they were the same staff who refused me 18 months ago so hardly recent.

Once I have dealt with immigration next week I think I'll go back to Kasikorn Bank with whom I had an unused and subsequently cancelled account with debit card before. They seem to have loads of ATM's and in any case with a debit card I can use any one else's ATM and pay bills. So getting an account with them plus a debit card and closing Bangkok Bank account makes sense.

Not sure if it's only farang Bangkok Bank are discriminating against but even getting a replacement passbook is now getting harder and harder to the point of stubborn arrant stupidity!

This doesn't sound good...my debit card was issued 2019, it will expire soon. I have a Krungsri account with a debit card, I don't think there are any changes there, may need to use this one more often.

12 hours ago, blackcab said:

Great. Did not know about this option. Will try it next time in Thailand and keep my ATM card in my condo. 

1 hour ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Great. Did not know about this option. Will try it next time in Thailand and keep my ATM card in my condo. 

What I like is that it is impossible for your card to be skimmed as you are not using it.

• Like 1