Immigration at Manchester Airport

Not quite sure where to post this Q and indeed if it is liable to get a useful answer.

I am travelling to Manchester airport with my Thai partner and I wonder if anyone has experience of immigration process times there - I want to make an advance train booking to our final destination and am wondering how long to leave after arrival. Normally I would allow 3 hours  (we arrive at 12.00 midday) Murphy's Law shows trains up to 2.30pm and then nothing till just after 4pm

In the past we have used Heathrow and it can take hours to get through.

Thanks

When I booked a ticket on the Trainline.com app I got a "Super Off-Peak" and it didn't matter which train I got as long as it was after the 10/11am cut-off - although I did have to put a time in when I booked but didn't reserve a specific seat.

That was for when I returned from London Heathrow to Devon at the beginning of this month, but I believe that the rules are national and so Manchester should be the same.

9 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

That was for when I returned from London Heathrow to Devon at the beginning of this month, but I believe that the rules are national and so Manchester should be the same.

I don't know - Trainline says its for a specific  train - also I plan to use Trainsplit they are cheaper even with their "flexible" ticket (which does have some restrictions)

5 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

I don't know - Trainline says its for a specific  train - also I plan to use Trainsplit they are cheaper even with their "flexible" ticket (which does have some restrictions)

The train I got from Heathrow to Paddington was two hours before my ticket but that section is not subject to time constraints. The barriers at Paddington let me through but when I got on the 10:04 there was an announcement that Super Off-Peak ticket holders would be charged extra and so I quickly got off, had yet another coffee and waited for the 11:04.

They obviously make that announcement because most people, like me, think that Super Off-Peak starts at 10:00.

All of that leads me to believe that it doesn't matter what train you get as long as it is within the validity of your ticket, but I'll admit that I'm not a frequent rail user.

31 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

also I plan to use Trainsplit they are cheaper even with their "flexible" ticket (which does have some restrictions)

PS: Never heard of them, but that does sound like the best option for you.

Edited by London Lowf

23 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

PS: Never heard of them, but that does sound like the best option for you.

Worth a look generally cheaper than Trainline the first time I looked (a month ago) they were nearly half the price of Trainline for the same journey - now the prices are closer but Trainsplit is "flexible" their advanced is still cheaper than Trainline. - https://trainsplit.com/

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

Worth a look generally cheaper than Trainline the first time I looked (a month ago) they were nearly half the price of Trainline for the same journey - now the prices are closer but Trainsplit is "flexible" their advanced is still cheaper than Trainline. - https://trainsplit.com/

I just did dummy bookings Torquay to Heathrow for tomorrow and my fare is exactly the same with Trainline or Trainsplit.

Also, from the Trainline booking - "You’ve selected the 14:16, but you can travel on any eligible super off-peak train."

Edited by London Lowf

1 hour ago, theoldgit said:

There’s numerous reports in the local media regarding chaos and extensive delays at Manchester both on arrival and departure.

Arrived in Manchester at around 2pm on 10th March & was straight through immigration through I was in Business Class using the Egates so somebody coming off the back of the plane needing to go through the manned immigration might have had a completely different experience.... I did have to hang around the baggage belt for 45 mins & then another 15 minutes at the desk when my case didn't turn up - 8 days later it showed!  

Coming back through Manchester Airport at 5:30am last Saturday was a nightmare, I would guesstimate the queue to get through security was at least 2 hours long, fortunately we were travelling Business Class but even then the "Fasttrack" lane took 40 minutes (NB to anybody travelling Business with Qatar, they don't give you the FastTrack sticker so be ready to argue your case with the Manchester Airport staff). 

Absolute joke of an airport, will probably fly into London or Birmingham on future trips to avoid it or better still, arrange to meet my family somewhere outside the UK.  

2 hours ago, Negita43 said:

Not quite sure where to post this Q and indeed if it is liable to get a useful answer.

I am travelling to Manchester airport with my Thai partner and I wonder if anyone has experience of immigration process times there - I want to make an advance train booking to our final destination and am wondering how long to leave after arrival. Normally I would allow 3 hours  (we arrive at 12.00 midday) Murphy's Law shows trains up to 2.30pm and then nothing till just after 4pm

In the past we have used Heathrow and it can take hours to get through.

Thanks

In the past I've travelled into Manchester many times with my wife (who is Thai). I don't think it's ever taken us more than 1 and a half hours to get through, at most.

We haven't been back for over two years, so I can't speak from personal experience as to what it's like more recently, but I'd be a little surprised if it would take as long as 3 hours, even at the present time.

Edit: I've just seen the post from @Mike Teaveeabove so in light of that, it sounds as if it could potentially take that long.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

If all the e gates are working shouldn't take too long to clear immigration. The main problem is baggage. A friend went through a week ago and baggage took one hour to arrive.  Also the train station is a fair walk from the terminals, and baggage trolleys cost a pound or two euros. And you don't get the money back.

Edited by BlueScouse

FYI, a Thai wife can go through the UK Customs queue with you if you didn't know.

I understand obv' a gf won't be able to do that, but maybe of use to someone.

Many years ago my wife queued in the non-EU queue and I stood waiting for her - the immigration officer came up to me and said she can go through the EU line with you.

Done it every time since.

Everything at MAN is ridiculously slow at the moment, arrivals and departures. If you would usually allow 3 hours, allow at least 4 now. Bags alone are taking a lifetime to come out, and then they seem to have as few staff as possible available at passport control. 

For departures, airlines have started opening check-in 4 hours in advance now, so passengers have a fighting chance of getting through security before their flight leaves.

9 hours ago, Pmbkk said:

FYI, a Thai wife can go through the UK Customs queue with you if you didn't know.

Thanks for that do yo know if the reverse is true - can I use the Non UK line with my partner?

9 hours ago, Pmbkk said:

I'm not sure that I've ever come across a queue in the Customs Hall, which is after the check at the border, people enter and are selected at random, Customs/Border Force Officers, already have a good idea who they're going to stop for questioning.

At the Border it's certainly prudent to present yourselves to the Border Force Officer together, I normally go for whichever line is shorter. If the officer wants to ask more questions it's better if a family group, including girl/boy friends, are both together.

There's nothing written down, but Border Force Officers are encouraged not to split up families, and it certainly makes it easier for them.   

1 hour ago, theoldgit said:

I'm not sure that I've ever come across a queue in the Customs Hall, which is after the check at the border, people enter and are selected at random, Customs/Border Force Officers, already have a good idea who they're going to stop for questioning.

At the Border it's certainly prudent to present yourselves to the Border Force Officer together, I normally go for whichever line is shorter. If the officer wants to ask more questions it's better if a family group, including girl/boy friends, are both together.

There's nothing written down, but Border Force Officers are encouraged not to split up families, and it certainly makes it easier for them.   

Obv' I was talking about immigration/passport control. Apologies for any confusion.

Edited by Pmbkk