thai pass absolute nightmare

1 hour ago, Denim said:

The day they do scrap the bureaucracy the floodgates will open. There are so many people waiting to either come for a holiday or leave to visit family at home that there will be an instant and high leap in arrivals and departures.

The potential flood is dissipating rapidly. Yes, there are people who specifically want to visit Thailand because they have family here or whatever, but a lot of the people who just wanted a vacation are already finding alternatives with less ridiculous entry requirements. Maybe they will come back to Thailand eventually, or maybe they'll decide the new destinations work just as well for them and they won't bother. The longer this goes on, the less people will be waiting when they do finally relax the rules.

• Like 2

I applied for the Thaipass 10 days before my flight date.  All correct documents, jpegs etc, and I received my code number.... and that was it!  No QR code was received and I chased up on the email address and contact telephone numbers, but never received any email replies and all support telephone numbers were either out of order or never picked up.

In desperation, I asked my SHA hotel to chase up Thaipass, and I received my QR code within a few hours.  Perhaps it was because I told the hotel that I am a journalist reporting about entering Thailand as a tourist (sometimes a lie can get action from those who are not doing their job efficiently).

Full marks to my hotel (Sawasdee Place) in Pattaya, and nul points for Thaipass....

• Like 2

11 hours ago, WEBBYB808 said:

Why would anyone apply for a Thailand  pass if they are already in Thailand?  If they are in Thailand  then they need an extension  of Visa not an application  of a Thailand Pass.  Did you actually  think before you posted this question?  

He probably thought significantly more than you did before posting your response and putting both feet in your own mouth !!!! 

He is applying to re-enter Thailand before he departs on his trip. Many, myself included, have done the same. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sambotte said:

Seriously ?

I have not find info on the thaipass site (of course)...

Do one need a certificate WITH QR CODE ???

I have a hard copy certificate, legit, but there is no QR Code.

Can someone confirm ?

A QR code makes the approval process faster, but it’s not essential.

IF your vaccine passport has no QR code it may need to be approved by a human rather than via the automated system (I assume) they have in place. 

Thus: to confirm, it is ok if your vaccine certification does not have QR  code. 

1 hour ago, The Theory said:

I received my pass in 2 days, 3 weeks before my departure. We don't know all those who don't receive their pass if they did all steps correctly with correct papers in jpeg. 

I have been through the process 3 times now (4 counting the old COE).

Always did all steps correctly, everything in jpeg etc

Never got it within 2 days and twice had it lost altogether forcing me to reapply (the other 2 times it came within 2-7 days).

ALst time as there was urgency used an agent, still took >48 hours.

this is as much a matter of luck as anything else. It is not the case that those who get the Pass right away or within 1-2 days necessarily did anything special that was right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

I used a hotmail.com account & had no problems getting the Thailand Pass, applied on Wednesday 9th March, got the approval on Tuesday 16th March for arrival to Thailand on 27th March.

OP If you're conscerned, I did see on a youtube video that Key Visa have been helping to get these for people & generally gets a very fast turn around - No idea of costs but if you email them, I'm sure they can help you to get it well before 20th April.

up to now we have done exactly what most people have suggested but if all else fails we might just try  that(key visa)

but have been in touch with thai pass support so hopefully will get things sorted soon, thanks guys for the replies

regards scotty

• Like 1

16 hours ago, impulse said:

I got spoiled many years ago when traveling for the company.  We just gave them our passport and they hired a visa agency to do all the legwork.  It was a couple of hundred $$$, and they'd tell us what documents they needed, what we lacked, etc.  They'd wait in the consulate queues and deal with the frustrations. 

So after I started traveling on my own, I still tend to use visa agencies when it's anything but a visa exempt.  They only get paid when I pick up my passport with the visa in it, and they know what they're doing...

I'm not advocating it to everyone, especially if your process has gone swimmingly.  But sometimes, it's worth it to suck it up and pay a pro to solve a problem.

Just this week there was a post about someone and his wife having their passport stolen from an agency.

A number of posters responded that there was some rumor or otherwise going around that there were agencies that were holding passports hostage.

Up to you.

As for myself no matter how tedious, time consuming or logistically full of headaches I'll do it myself.

30 years ago on my first trip to East Asia it was in Vietnam and I asked a German traveler with me if I should bring my passport along or leave it in the room. He replied you can always guard your passport if it's on your person, your passport is your life! I must say I've never forgotten that.

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Op [higliander403] - this is something you can do yourself rather than relying on a 3rd party, who as you have found out are not communicating well with you. 

- Use the correct website: https://tp.consular.go.th

- Do not use a hotmail account to register (these have been problematic in the past).

- Have all your documents in JPEG (not more than 5mb) i.e.

- Passport ID page (no need for a visa)

- Certificate of vaccination with QR code.

- Cropped out QR code.

- Health / medical insurance certificate (1 page stating amount of cover).

- Have your SHA Plus+ Test&Go booking confirmation:

(pre-paid which includes transport, PCR Test & ATK).

** Regarding SHA Plus + (2 plusses !)...    make sure you have a legitimate Test&Go hotel booking (it should cost around 4000-6000 baht for one night and will include all costs, Room Cost, PCR Test, Day 5 ATK test). 

Once you have submitted your application the webpage will display a 6 digit code (copy that code). 

You should also receive a ‘confirmation of registration e-mail from [email protected] (which includes the same 6 digit code).

Once you have gone through the application you’ll see its simple, the primary issue is ensuring you have the correct documentation which ’ticks the right boxes’ (I’ve gone through CoE twice, Sandbox once and Test&Go 3x now - its a pain, but its simple enough once we have the right documentation and now only takes me 10mins (or less) to book the hotel and 10mins to actually submit the T&G application).

Total Cost each time ( excluding air fare) for your above clear TP process ? 
Receiving TP inside Thailand before departure essential for me. best insurance source ? 7 day validity for TP ? 

would return in 3 days with 60 day tourist visa from Penang. Return Air fare pre- paid. 

Would be first time leaving my Phuket family in 26 months when my final Covid/ family visa extn definitely expires mid May. 

Allowed to stay in registered Phuket home if Positive on Day 1 or 5. ? 

appears too much stress / cost / risk in my case . May just get an Agent Retirement Visa and have done with it. Stay put.

Would need to repeat TP every three months if not back to work in Europe. Not economic. 

13 hours ago, WEBBYB808 said:

Why would anyone apply for a Thailand  pass if they are already in Thailand?  If they are in Thailand  then they need an extension  of Visa not an application  of a Thailand Pass.  Did you actually  think before you posted this question?  

Excuse me, It is you who needs to think before posting!

I applied in Thailand March 11th whilst I am in Thailand, on this occasion because I am going to the UK on April 24th until May 9th.

I need no documents to travel and get admittance to the UK but I need Thailand Pass for my return.

To make life easier for myself, I booked my hotel direct and did the Thailand Pass in the comfort of my own home on my desktop, where I have all the required documents stored in my documents file. I applied March 11th and it was granted March 16th.

On my previous trip last year, Thailand Pass started whilst I was in the UK, and I had a nerve wracking time getting everything together to enable me to make my return trip to Thailand, as it had just been released and there were many difficulties with the website and operating system.

This is just one reason why people apply for Thailand Pass whilst in Thailand.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TheScience said:

Just this week there was a post about someone and his wife having their passport stolen from an agency.

A number of posters responded that there was some rumor or otherwise going around that there were agencies that were holding passports hostage.

Up to you.

As for myself no matter how tedious, time consuming or logistically full of headaches I'll do it myself.

30 years ago on my first trip to East Asia it was in Vietnam and I asked a German traveler with me if I should bring my passport along or leave it in the room. He replied you can always guard your passport if it's on your person, your passport is your life! I must say I've never forgotten that.

Too true. Modern Safe in four / five star hotel or home is secure enough now though. I would NEVER carry Passport unless required for specific transaction.

Any Agents having Passport MUST come highly recommended. Like for example, Retirement Visa if No Financials. I have two Passports so not a complete disaster if one lost. 

Colleague in Saudi lost his Passport in Pattaya while on leave. Did not return to work until nine months later ! Saudi Work & Residence Stamps took forever to replace ! 

6 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

I applied in Thailand March 11th whilst I am in Thailand, on this occasion because I am going to the UK on April 24th until May 9th.

I need no documents to travel and get admittance to the UK but I need Thailand Pass for my return.

To make life easier for myself, I booked my hotel direct and did the Thailand Pass in the comfort of my own home on my desktop, where I have all the required documents stored in my documents file. I applied March 11th and it was granted March 16th.

On my previous trip last year, Thailand Pass started whilst I was in the UK, and I had a nerve wracking time getting everything together to enable me to make my return trip to Thailand, as it had just been released and there were many difficulties with the website and operating system.

Yes. And another is many like me on FINAL Covid/ family Extention! Luckily Longstay Visa possible in my case without leaving Thailand.

But other option is TP received in Thailand beforeRegional  Visa Run. 

But still looks like too much stress / cost / risk for me compared to the far easier zero stress Longstay Visa. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Total cost is between 4-5000 baht for the Test&Go hotel. 

Insurance is something I have anyway. 

Thailand Pass itself is free. 

Thanks . Saw the hotel cost in your original post but wondered about a possible single use Covid Insurance Cost (as my medical policy has a high deductible so not acceptable for TP). Separate Enquiry to my Broker then !  

No code to enter?

Sure, when you submit the application you have no code number. After they receive your application you get a code number/approval number.

Are you sure you submitted youe application to the right web address?

14 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

The Thai Pass is nothing to do with visas. Many of us are already in Thailand, but we want to leave and then return. So it's not at all unusual to apply while you are still in Thailand.

Even if you couldn't figure that out yourself, there was no need to be rude about it.

Roger that,  I guess coming here Feb 2020 and being on covid extensions for over two years, has jaded me to the hoops one must jump through to return if they leave.  You are correct  I shouldn't  have been rude.  My Apologies to all.  

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Sorry, you are correct.  I never even thought about the Thai pass.   I arrived Feb 2020 and have just remained on the Covid extensions  ever since.  I never needed to leave and try to return.  It does just seem like a nightmare as you put it to try to leave and want to return.  For me its been just like it was before covid.  No need to prove vaccinated,  no need for Thai covid passport , no need to purchase insurance,  no need to go to SHA ++++++ hotel.  Just an easy extension every two months.  Even cheaper than a retirement  visa.  Those of us that seen the problem  coming in 2019 when the world media said, "The Chinese  have a deadly virus", and knowing the Chinese mess everything up for eveyone, got on first thing smoking and headed to Thailand  when everyone else was fleeing.  It's been a great two years for me prior to Oct 2021 when the scourges of mongers and those of little morals and care started to return and bring in the virus, catch it and still go out and monger, spreading and giving to everyone, Look at the new record numbers and death now, but I digress.

Yes, you are correct I was lacking in Knowledge  of the Thai pass, and should have researched  that, had I the need or desire to leave Thailand  and wish to return I would have looked more throughly.   But, I thank all of you that are testing the waters and figuring out the hurdles  you must jump through to return.  So, that if I and others ever must leave before the travel gates open and return to normal, that we will have your template to follow for return.  But if luck holds out the extensions will continue and those that have been here over two years wont have to leave and face these obstacles. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

This BS is why I am advising my friends in Australia not to come here, and many in Thailand are not traveling because they do not want the hassle of getting back in.

Perhaps the authorities will come to their senses, but I won't hold my breath.

Totally agree and doing exactly the same, it’s a farce.

When we return to being able to turn up at the airport with a ticket and passport and perhaps proof of vaccination certificate I will travel.

21 hours ago, problemfarang said:

Insurance with minimum coverage of 20,000 USD for medical expenses

Where did you get your insurance from? What does it cost. (I am thinking of just 30 days cover as I will use 30 day Visa on entry).

On 3/31/2022 at 5:54 PM, highlander403 said:

trying to register online thai pass will not let us do it as we have no code to enter,

@highlander403  I got into the same loop (multiple times) when I first tried to apply.  I seriously don't know 100% how I got out of the loop either.  I had to change my flight schedule and was not looking forward to using the website again, but after 2 tries I was in...

I just tried to get in and had no problem. Go to https://tp.consular.go.th/ and click the box for "Air Travel" assuming that is your method, read the instructions that 'pop up', then close the instruction with the X in the right corner. A new page should open which will have choice for Non-Thai Nationals, (don't click the box below regarding language of Thai or English). After clicking the box for Non-Thai Nationals another pop-up will come up that says.  English Language. (It's a stupid step since there are no other options). Nonetheless click that box and a new page will come up asking you to choose the plan that's right for you.  Your IN.

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

Totally agree and doing exactly the same, it’s a farce.

When we return to being able to turn up at the airport with a ticket and passport and perhaps proof of vaccination certificate I will travel.

strewth mate, so you'd rather sit in boring old Straya the nanny state when you could be living it up in LOS because of a few forms to fill in? I'd walk over broken glass to get out of there if I had to. 

ps. I came over in December when TP was in its infancy. it really wasn't that hard at all.

pps. I love Straya but it's nowhere near as much fun as over here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Where did you get your insurance from? What does it cost. (I am thinking of just 30 days cover as I will use 30 day Visa on entry).

i have work permit and working so i have thai social security. that counts as insurance, so i dont need one. sorry

but there are some company lists on thai pass webpage if i remember correctly with some hotel lists.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheScience said:

Perhaps I misread the OP.  I thought he was back home, trying to get into Thailand.   That's different than looking for an extension within Thailand.

Here in the US, the vast majority of our companies' travelers simply give their passport to their travel group at work who send it to the best agency for the country they're trying to enter.  Nobody takes company time to drive 3 cities over to the appropriate consulate hoping they have all the paperwork they'll need.  It's all done via FedEx.  When the agency receives the passport, they inform us of any discrepancies or missing documents, then they do the legwork.  After I did it that way for decades, I got spoiledand I usually continue the practice on my own dime.  On more than one occasion, they have saved me the headaches that the OP appears to be experiencing.  It's not free, but they earn their fee.

I Imagine a passport goes missing occasionally, but that's not catastrophic if you're in your home country.  Still, I've never known anyone who's lost one.

Edit:  I think the most frustrating part about Thai Pass is that even old salts who have been coming for years are thrown by the new and ever changing rules.  What worked last week may not work this week, and may not even be required next week.  Agencies keep up with that stuff, for a living.

Edited by impulse

Unfortunately it sometimes takes time for them to process the Thai Passes, even if all of the documentation is in order. My last one took 7 days to approve and there was no additions or extra documents needed from the original uploads and I had a multiple reentry permit attached to my visa. No idea why I wasn't issued an instant online pass, maybe  I had a document scan that needed human eyes to confirm, who knows. I was due to fly on the 8th day so there was some trepidation that final approval wouldn't meet my flight details, but I think that they keep your inbound flight requirements on hand. I wouldn't go through the pass system for a holiday, but good on those that do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

https://partner.fwdgi.co.th/en/fwdgi/corona-virus-inbound-insurance?utm_source=tqmbroker 650THB for a 30 day policy... My mate used this as his HR couldn't get him the certificate he needed for the Thailand Pass, he's on a BOI Smart Visa (good for 3 years) & got a 1 year stamp on entry. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

strewth mate, so you'd rather sit in boring old Straya the nanny state when you could be living it up in LOS because of a few forms to fill in? I'd walk over broken glass to get out of there if I had to. 

ps. I came over in December when TP was in its infancy. it really wasn't that hard at all.

pps. I love Straya but it's nowhere near as much fun as over here.

11 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

https://partner.fwdgi.co.th/en/fwdgi/corona-virus-inbound-insurance?utm_source=tqmbroker 650THB for a 30 day policy... My mate used this as his HR couldn't get him the certificate he needed for the Thailand Pass, he's on a BOI Smart Visa (good for 3 years) & got a 1 year stamp on entry. 

No I live in Thailand I am talking about leaving and returning here

I have no wish to return to or visit Australia particularly when you look at the cost of living and Sydney was recently designated as the second least affordable city in the world for accomodation

Just now, StevieAus said:

No I am talking about leaving and returning to Thailand where I live.

I have certainly no wish to return or visit Australia as we have everything we want here, particularly when you look at the cost of living in Australia and Sydney where we use to live was recently designated as the second least affordable city in the world for accommodation.

Totally agree about the nanny state..