2022 FBAR Filing Deadlines for tax year 2021

Just as last year the faux deadline is April 15 2022 but the real deadline is October 15, 2022. That is because there is an AUTOMATIC EXTENSION to October 15 that requires no request to get. This automatic extension applies to both US residents and expats.

Happy filing.

https://www.taxesforexpats.com/guides/us-expat-tax-guide-2022.html

I filed many times in the past ! This year is a little bit different ,in that I have a joint  Bangkok bank account with my Thai wife . 

We live in Thailand ,never been to the states,she has a ITIN#,she doesn't have a green card.

I do meet the Fbar requirement's because of the 400k in my Bangkok Bank account.

If someone will Correct me if I'm wrong or guide me through this  ,I would appreciate it.

I think I'm suppose to fill out a Record of Authorization to Electronically File FBARs form 114A.

Also I believe she doesn't have to file separately because she doesn't meet the guidelines of being a usa resident. 

The instructions are confusing imop

Edited by riclag

On 4/1/2022 at 3:48 PM, riclag said:

Also I believe she doesn't have to file separately because she doesn't meet the guidelines of being a usa resident.

Correct -- she isn't a "US person" for FBAR purposes. And even having an ITIN (presumably so you can file a joint US tax return), this doesn't mandate that she file a FBAR, even if she had individual accounts exceeding $10k.  So, with no requirement for her to file her own FBAR, you as a couple need only file your FBAR, with your individual accounts listed, plus your joint account, where your wife would be the "principle joint account" owner, listing her ITIN, and where number of joint owners would be "one" (you're not included in the picture for this summation). And, yes, you're supposed to fill out a Form 114A if you're listing the wife as a joint account holder; but this is not filed with the FBAR folks and is only for your records. So ignore, with no risk.

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

On 4/1/2022 at 8:33 AM, tonray said:

Can't imagine why anyone would wait...takes less than 10 minutes online and requires no payment or extra info outside of your largest bank balance last year.

https://bsaefiling.fincen.treas.gov/NoRegFBARFiler.html

Be careful with terms - each foreign bank account must be listed if total if total bank balance of all accounts at any time meets requirement for reporting.  So you do want to have a list of accounts/highest values together before you go online.  But as said it is simple and only takes a few minutes once you have the information ready.