PM Calls Urgent Meeting Of Security Officials

george

I don't know if many of you have been doing this, but I have been discussing this with Thais I know all day on and off. I have been told that the consensus (at least among those I know and their associates) is that there is a groundswell of deep resentment growing against the former PM. They see him as trying to destroy the country and seeking revenge.

That is the feeling I get in Chonburi. In the northern provinces I know of there is just an almost total apathy nothwithstanding a few good employment opportunities to attend TRT organised eevnts in the next few days!

I don't know if many of you have been doing this, but I have been discussing this with Thais I know all day on and off. I have been told that the consensus (at least among those I know and their associates) is that there is a groundswell of deep resentment growing against the former PM. They see him as trying to destroy the country and seeking revenge.

I agree with this, the sentiment expressed is increasingly negative, people want to see forward movement, not the bickering which they see now.

Regards

PS chinthee, re white house, no matches when you stock up at Tesco OK :o

Analysis: It all depends on Thaksin

By Veera Prateepchaikul

Ex-premier Thaksin is to speak to a Sanam Luang rally tonight, and the outcome of the pro-Thaksin, anti-CNS protest will dictate the state of political tension in the days and weeks ahead.

For starters, it is likely that the planned speech by Internet web cast to the rally by former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra (at 9pm Thailand time) will draw a larger crowd.

Apart from those organised to attend by the pro-Thaksin forces, the fact that Thaksin is speaking will draw both supporters and opponents, not to mention curious on-lookers.

The Council for National Security (CNS) is not concerned about a rally that remains at Sanam Luang. It is more concerned about the potential for trouble if the rally moves to the Army headquarters. The CNS has discussed how to deal with a provocative crowd – the pushing and shoving – by using fire trucks and tear gas to disperse the rally. This is not their main concern.

Although ousted from power and in exile, Mr Thaksin still commands the loyalty of many supporters. He can make a difference, for better or worse vis-?-vis the current political confrontation. It really depends on whether Mr Thaksin cares more about his own position and the interests of his family, or those of the country.

Full article at:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/tops...s.php?id=119466

I agree with this, the sentiment expressed is increasingly negative, people want to see forward movement, not the bickering which they see now.

Regards

PS chinthee, re white house, no matches when you stock up at Tesco OK :o

"I know nothing, I see nothing, I hear nothing." attributed to Sgt. Shultz I believe.

If a government was holding X amount of billions of baht belonging to you, might you not decide that discretion is the better part of valor and do nothing to make said government even more peeved at you?

Might you not want to tell your supporters the battle is over?

If a government was holding X amount of billions of baht belonging to you, might you not decide that discretion is the better part of valor and do nothing to make said government even more peeved at you?

It would be nice to think that will happen tonight and it would be the best thing for the country. Howeevr, .....

It would be nice to think that will happen tonight and it would be the best thing for the country. Howeevr, .....

Yep, wishful thinking on my part I know. Billionaires tend to be unpredictable, megalomaniac billionaires even more so.

PM calls urgent meeting of security officials

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont Friday called an urgent meeting of top security officials after anti-coup groups announced that former premier Thaksin Shinawatra would address the protesters through a teleconference Friday night.

Surayud held the meeting at Government House at 9:30 am.

Attending the meeting were Gen Sonthi Boonyaratglin, chairman of the Council for National Security in his capacity as the director of the Internal Security Operations Command, Army Chief-of-Staff Gen Montree Sangkhasup, Sirichai Choterat, director of the National Intelligence Agency, Metropolitan police chief Lt Gen Adisorn Nonsee, Special Branch Police chief Lt Gen Rapipat Palawong, and national police chief Pol Gen Seripisut Temiyavej.

Surayud called the urgent meeting after the anti-coup groups unveiled the plan to let Thaksin talk to demonstrators at Sanam Luang through Web cam at 9 pm.

-- The Nation 2007-06-15

it wont be long,its gonna all go off :o

Thailand Outlook TV are reporting that Mr. Thaksin will tonight name the person really behind the coup. Or at least the person he wants to finger no doubt.

So WHO did he say was responsible?

Pre-coffee error corrected above.

Edited by sriracha john

Thailand Outlook TV are reporting that Mr. Thaksin will tonight name the person really behind the coup. Or at least the person he wants to finger no doubt.

So WHO did he say was responsible?

Pre-coffee error corrected above.

It seems that the naming who was behind the coup was just a little PR job by th ePTV boys to get alittle more attention. he speech named nobody and didnt even say much.

PM affirms it is still unnecessary to declare the Emergency Decree

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont indicates that it is still unnecessary to declare the Emergency Decree if demonstrators do not violate the laws.

The Prime Minister has requested demonstrators to take action under legal regulations. As for the rumor on his assassination, Gen. Surayud says he is not worried and has never heard of such news.

Meanwhile, state policemen are making an effort to ensure security for the Prime Minister.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 16 June 2007

PM affirms it is still unnecessary to declare the Emergency Decree

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont indicates that it is still unnecessary to declare the Emergency Decree if demonstrators do not violate the laws.

The Prime Minister has requested demonstrators to take action under legal regulations. As for the rumor on his assassination, Gen. Surayud says he is not worried and has never heard of such news.

Meanwhile, state policemen are making an effort to ensure security for the Prime Minister.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 16 June 2007

Do we know what he did say in this speech???? anything positive?