Retirement visa

I am trying to decide how to do my retirement visa.  Currently in Europe.  I do not have a Thai bank account.  I do have health insurance through a US company and it provides coverage in Thailand, however, it is with Blue Cross group insurance and while I can get a letter stating that I have coverage in Thailand, I seriously doubt that I will be able to get the required letter signed by a company Director.  

I had planned to go to the Thai embassy on Tuesday to get a non-O visa, but now I am not sure. 

Is there a way to get the retirement visa without it being dependent on the health insurance?  I thought I had read that it would be possible enter Thailand on a tourist entry permit and to then apply for the visa. 
Thanks for your help

Enter Thailand visa exempt.

Use agent to open bank account.

Transfer 800k from overseas to your Thai bank account.

Attend immigration office and obtain non O based on retirement.

That gives you 90 day stamp.

In last 30 days after the funds have been in bank for 2 months apply for 12 month extension. 

Health insurance is not required for extensions.

Currently entry to Thailand requires 20k insurance.

You can buy 30 day cover. 

Edited by DrJack54

Apply for a Non-O visa at an Embassy near you based on being over 50.  Once you are in Thailand, you'll have to get a bank account fairly quickly and deposit 800k, then after 2 months you can apply for an extension of the Non-O visa based on being over 50. What Thai Embassy are you thinking of visiting?  I thought most of them now handle everything over the internet.

I've never done the enter with a tourist stamp then change to retirement visa route, so I have no idea on that, but I thought once you enter Thailand on whatever visa, if you wish to change it, it requires you to exit the country and apply for a new visa.

3 minutes ago, bbko said:

I've never done the enter with a tourist stamp then change to retirement visa route, so I have no idea on that, but I thought once you enter Thailand on whatever visa, if you wish to change it, it requires you to exit the country and apply for a new visa.

Read my first post.

The op imo best to enter visa exempt. 

Agent can open bank account. 

~4500 baht. 

Can then obtain non O retirement.

Yes alternative is to obtain non O outside of Thailand.

That's an option. 

My main concern is the health insurance.  I am too old to get Thai health insurance.  Which is the best way to avoid having to show health insurance (not covid insurance) from a Thai company?

5 hours ago, hwas said:

My main concern is the health insurance.  I am too old to get Thai health insurance.  Which is the best way to avoid having to show health insurance (not covid insurance) from a Thai company?

You do not require health insurance. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bbko said:

Apply for a Non-O visa at an Embassy near you based on being over 50.  Once you are in Thailand, you'll have to get a bank account fairly quickly and deposit 800k, then after 2 months you can apply for an extension of the Non-O visa based on being over 50. What Thai Embassy are you thinking of visiting?  I thought most of them now handle everything over the internet.

you are advising people with no mention of the insurance which seems to be the op's main concern, also you have no knowledge of doing a non imm 'O' visa conversion from a visa exempt entry or a tourist visa, while within Thailand, 

any conversion to a non imm 'O' visa requires 14 days remaining on any permission to stay stamp you have 

16 minutes ago, steve187 said:

you are advising people with no mention of the insurance which seems to be the op's main concern, also you have no knowledge of doing a non imm 'O' visa conversion from a visa exempt entry or a tourist visa, while within Thailand, 

any conversion to a non imm 'O' visa requires 14 days remaining on any permission to stay stamp you have 

Bit harsh.

The OP is confused about insurance. 

It's not required.

Perhaps he is thinking of non O-A requirements.

As for advise entering thailand visa exempt and obtaining a non O based on retirement, that is very doable. 

True the op would require 15 days + on his permission of stay to apply.

Visa exempt stamps him in for 30 days.

An agent can obtain a bank account and that can be pre organized.

He also has the option to obtain a 30 day extension to his visa exempt entry.

Of course he could opt to enter with a tourist visa and then obtain the non O. 

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You do not require health insurance. 

It's not required, but a senior citizen in a foreign country without medical insurance?  Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

20 minutes ago, bbko said:

It's not required, but a senior citizen in a foreign country without medical insurance?  Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

From the OP......

"I do have health insurance through a US company and it provides coverage in Thailand...."

• Like 1

Enter Thailand with a TV. It will give you plenty of time to do things leisurely, instead of panicking for time constraints.
Convert your tourist visa to Non-O. If willing to spend money to feed agent's/IO's family, it can be done by an agent without putting any money in the bank. The current going rate is around 15K (just for the conversation). No health insurance required. The same agent can also do the extension for an additional 12K. In total you spend <30,000 BHT (Or less than $1000 USD).

You can also get it done by an agent. No money needed in the bank. They will get a Thai bank account. You simply don't have to do anything. Just sit, relax and sip pina colada on the beach. Or else, do it yourself for < 4000 BHT and go through all the hassle and frustration if that's what you want in your retirement. Plenty for folks will tell you all the tips you need to do it yourself. Follow their advice it you want to get it done yourself for less than 4K. If you want to get it done by an agent so that the poor agent can feed his family and IOs can send their sons/daughters to a foreign university or buy that expensive cars, spend 30K BHT without doing anything while drinking pina colada on the beach, the retirement is meant to  be. 

IN any case no health insurance is required if you enter Thailand visa exempt/or TV and convert it to a Non-O and then a retirement extension.

Edited by Onerak