COVID-19: Thailand reports 21,088 new coronavirus cases, 91 deaths, 27,519 recoveries

webfact

COV25 copy 2.jpg

File photo

Thailand on Tuesday (April 5) reported 21,088 new COVID-19 cases, 27,519 recoveries and 91 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

Tuesday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 3,757,575 with 25,603 deaths.

Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said on Monday that he is confident that COVID-19 infections, which are anticipated to surge during and after the long Songkran long break, will be kept under control, thanks to mass vaccinations.

He said that the Ministry of Public Health is, however, concerned about the many elderly people and children under five who are not yet inoculated and he has been urging them to get vaccinated before Songkran this month.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update5APR).png

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-04-05

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

The general feeling of dread comes to mind when I see the Monday numbers and the Tuesday numbers being low only to have them spike back up as the week continues through Friday and more people get tested.  This is also the week before folks start to travel for Songkran, so I would not expect the numbers from Sunday onward to be of anything higher than the ones we have been seeing.  Hopefully the week after Songkran does not see an extreme spike upwards.  

Last night we went out to Yaowarat Road in China town to grab a few things and the place was packed.  Many more shops have re-opened and I saw what I can only presume were large groups of foreigners visiting.  Good for the community but then when your packed into the small side streets sitting and eating as people walk by I can only wonder about a lack of social distancing as a 4 person table had 6 or more crowded around it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

Ridiculous the daily numbers... So I won't comment anymore...What I see and hear is more important than these fake numbers.. although it is weekend......

I never posts on these threads regarding the daily cases, but I have to this time.  The positive cases are always or around the 20k mark. Its truly impressive!!

Edited by BayArea
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The general feeling of dread comes to mind when I see the Monday numbers and the Tuesday numbers being low only to have them spike back up as the week continues through Friday and more people get tested.  This is also the week before folks start to travel for Songkran, so I would not expect the numbers from Sunday onward to be of anything higher than the ones we have been seeing.  Hopefully the week after Songkran does not see an extreme spike upwards.  

Last night we went out to Yaowarat Road in China town to grab a few things and the place was packed.  Many more shops have re-opened and I saw what I can only presume were large groups of foreigners visiting.  Good for the community but then when your packed into the small side streets sitting and eating as people walk by I can only wonder about a lack of social distancing as a 4 person table had 6 or more crowded around it. 

Maybe just disregard the daily reports, and much of the advice, because to my mind when I compare it to the UK, Thailand seems hopelessly misinformed.  Also, Omicron isn't going to end any time soon.  In fact the drip-drip method they are employing could mean we'll be getting the same info. every day for the next few months at least.

(Also, I would say the key to limiting deaths is to vaccinate the elderly to around 95%.  All countries with the wherewithal did this a priority. Thailand still isn't there.)

Edited by mommysboy
  • Like 1

As I regularly mention in my recaps of the MoPH daily COVID reports, they are subject to the vagaries of the Thai government reporting system. That's why I always say looking at the deaths and serious hospitalizations is a better barometer of the way things are trending.

That, and, the past two-week trend reports the MoPH has been producing lately, which report the numbers of daily cases based on a two-week running average of new daily cases, such as the latest below for March 23 to April 5.

The raw numbers of cases clearly are likely an undercount due to non-reported cases. But the trend lines (except for today's latest deaths number) are clearly and consistently upward.

311048244_TwoWeekTrends2022-04-05.jpg.12d2012f5830131a128eccc89ac92bd5.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/535854894699506/?type=3

From left to right in the chart above, daily new official COVID cases based on a 14-prior days running average, current serious hospitalizations, current intubations, and daily new COVID deaths.

The red text at the bottom of the far right graph says that 85 of today's new 91 COVID deaths (93%) had NOT received their third dose COVID booster shot.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

Moderna CEO predicts many people will eventually get annual COVID shots

"CEO Stephane Bancel of Moderna (NASDAQ:MRNA) predicted Monday that many adults will eventually receive annual COVID boosters, while the vaccine maker hopes to create yearly all-in-one shots for multiple diseases the way Apple unveils new iPhones each year.

"Our first priority is to get an annual iPhone-like booster for all respiratory diseases," Bancel said in a speech to the Boston College Chief Executives Club.

As such, Bancel expects the company to have annual COVID boosters available beginning this fall to protect people from new virus variants like Omicron.

(more)

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3820563-moderna-ceo-predicts-many-people-will-eventually-get-annual-covid-booster-shots

Daily COVID new deaths report from the Thai MoPH:

--All Thais except for one Myanmar national.

--Median age 72, meaning half the deaths were older, and half were younger.

--Age range 5 months to 96 years

--67 of the deaths (74%) were age 60 and older

--18 of the the deaths (19%) were younger than age 60 but had some type of chronic condition.

--6 of the deaths (7%) were under age 60 with no known chronic condition.

By province, 17 of the deaths occurred in Bangkok, while 6 each occurred in Sisaket and Lopburi provinces.

2022-04-05.jpg.699af818a08edb299ab9a620b6a5a7e3.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/posts/535858771365785

• Like 2

China update:

Shanghai to extend lockdown of 26 million people as it reviews COVID test results

The curbs, which have massively disrupted daily life and business operations in China's financial hub, were initially scheduled to end at 5 a.m. local time (9 p.m. GMT) on Tuesday.

The country sent the military and thousands of healthcare workers into Shanghai to help carry out COVID-19 tests for all of its 26 million residents on Monday, in one of the country's biggest-ever public health responses.

Shanghai, which began a two-stage lockdown on March 28 that has been expanded to confine practically all residents to their homes, reported 8,581 asymptomatic COVID-19 cases and 425 symptomatic COVID cases for April 3.

(more)

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/china-sends-military-doctors-shanghai-test-26-mln-residents-covid-2022-04-04/

Interesting tidbit... Look what country is generating the most foreigners testing positive for COVID upon arrival, in today's update from MoPH:

1591410326_Dash2022-04-05d.thumb.jpg.e4e3146c52f25fae326a605b5df4abe4.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/OICDDC/posts/342658354562324

UK also was tops in number of COVID case arrivals from the two days prior reports. But Saudi Arabia and Cambodia were the tops of the list in the two days prior to that.

The numbers probably are at least in part a reflection of the origins of arriving international flights and passenger volumes day to day.

Going back even further, there doesn't seem to be any particular trend day to day in the top countries on the list, although Cambodia is tops on quite a few recent days.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

"Our first priority is to get an annual iPhone-like booster for all respiratory diseases," Bancel said in a speech to the Boston College Chief Executives Club.

Comparing vaccines to smartphones.

It really is about the money.  

12 minutes ago, garygooner said:

Comparing vaccines to smartphones.

It really is about the money.  

I think the intended point of his message was... people will end up getting COVID update shots annually, just like annual flu shots or people who buy a new IPhone every year.

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/04/04/chonburi-announces-1448-new-and-confirmed-cases-of-covid-19-and-three-new-deaths/

Excerpt: 

Three people were listed as being in serious condition in Chonburi currently, either on a ventilator or with pneumonia. Two of them were not vaccinated. According to the Chonburi Department of Public Health, the vast majority of recent cases are mild or asymptomatic at 99.688 percent.

The three new deaths were aged 54,71, and 81 with severe personal health problems and pre-existing conditions. One of them was not vaccinated.

Chonburi lists a vaccine population base of 2 million plus.  Nobody wants to see anyone die, but surely there are limits as to the steps we can reasonably take.  We don't do this for all the other things that can kill at a very low rate.  What about about the health and welfare of all those people unable to make money: deprivation comes with its own health costs.
Edited by mommysboy

Thailand reports 24,252 new COVID-19 cases, 94 deaths, 26,225 recoveries

COVID-19.jpg

File photo

Thailand on Wednesday (April 6) reported 24,252 new COVID-19 cases, 226,225 recoveries and 94 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

Full story: https://aseannow.com/topic/1255847-thailand-reports-24252-new-covid-19-cases-94-deaths-26225-recoveries/

//CLOSED//

/Admin