Motorcycle Exhaust

dsmiththailand

2 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I've been riding motorcycles from the age of 10yo.

Well my joy was getting past 60-70 mph and leaving the engine noise behind.....then I felt it was thrilling and like flying.  The engine noise itself did not really wet my pants. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I've been riding motorcycles from the age of 10yo.

I love the feeling, the freedom, the wind and all the great things that come with riding.

I also love the sound of a Harley, a Ducati, a big twin. 

I've had a few 4 cylinder Jap. bikes which sound awesome. 

The smaller twins, around 300cc just sound awful and what I don't like are the scooters with loud exhaust, they sound like a lawn mower and perform just as well.

At the end of the day I reckon the cops are doing a good job, stopping these noisy bikes as most are really annoying. 

It's a shame the bigger bikes are policed in the same way. 

Agreed. A sweet titanium exhaust for a Ducati is priced 195,000bt. 
Shouldn’t be paying tickets for the musical note they emit. 

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Yes, check to see if your DB Killers are fitted. 

My Ducati has TERMIGNONI exhaust fitted, with the baffles in the bike is much quieter. 

I too have a Termignoni  fitted to my Honda, great exhaust and not Nosie like the Thai made exhaust.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

My little scooter has a horn on it which seems to get attention when needed.....

A noisy engine is a safety feature, how delusional, perhaps everyone should drive around in tractors!

I think it's only frequent riders of big bikes in Bangkok who actually understand this. I'd have to be on the horn all the time riding through central Bangkok. Now that, if something, would rude and inconsiderate. I use my horn only when a collision is about to happen. The sound of a big bike is more like an advance warning "fast bike coming through" and gets people to check their mirrors and stop sudden swerving. 

Personally, I've got an EU-road legal titanium aftermarket pipe on my bike with the baffle installed. It's nice and quiet at low RPM, so I can silently cruise through small sois in residential areas without disturbing anyone. But drop a gear and give it some throttle when filtering on bigger roads, it's got a nice roar that keeps 90% of idiots out of the way. 

• Like 2

On 4/7/2022 at 1:37 AM, pomchop said:
On 4/6/2022 at 9:48 AM, richard_smith237 said:

I don’t like loud exhausts on my bikes because I just don’t like the noise. 

But, whenever I’m driving I always hear the bike with the loud exhaust....  ‘Loud pipes save lives’ is the saying and its very true... A loud bike is always far far more noticeable in traffic, you always hear it before you see it -thats defiantly safer. 

On my moo-baan there is a Triumph Speed Twin which is obviously quite loud, but the rider is always very considerate when riding through the moo-baan, I hear the bike but never hear him raving etc.

On the other hand the security has a pocket-rocket (Yamaha R300 or something similar) , when he arrives and departs his shift he revs his bike - that irritates the cr@p out of me !

I don’t mind bikes that made noise...   I mind the riders who rev the s#it out of their bikes while knowing they are loud. 

Now... this thread has given a few who can’t help but post hyperbolic over reactions an opportunity to spout their nonsense.. (below)... 

No nonsense spouted,,,just more BS from people who seem to think it is their right to make all the NOISE they want disturbing others who have no desire to hear a loud bike just so they can pretend to be some macho motorbike man child....i hope somebody opens a karaoke bar next to you some day and see how u feel about NOISE then....

You hope a Karaoke bar opens next to my house....    

<deleted - no point entertaining a discussion with idiots who lack the intelligence to recognise balance>

On 4/8/2022 at 3:55 PM, SS1 said:

Tell this to all the small bike and car drivers constantly cutting in front of us big bikers because they don't see or hear us! You sound like someone who doesn't ride motorcycles in Thailand. 

rode for years...never saw the need to see how much noise i could make

• Like 1