Anyone had a hip replacement in Thailand (or India)?

oobar

Many people have had hip replacements here and generally with good results. Cost vary widely according to the hospital with the least costly being at milutary/government hospitals but with the current COVID situation many government hospitals are overrun and not doing elective surgeries.

At a private hospital costs around 350k aht give it take. 

My mate had his hip replaced at Samitive Hospital in Bangkok (

https://www.samitivejhospitals.com/about-us/hospital ) who are apparently renowned as being one of the best places to go for sports/bones/joints type medical problems,

I seem to recall it cost him approx 500K but he would have gone for the top package (including private room etc...)... He was very pleased with the result & was on his feet within 1-2 days of having the Op (He has had the other hip done in the UK and it took him 1 -2 weeks to recover from it). 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

At nearly 80 my hips only started giving me problems this year, mostly when I first get out of bed, but then they start to loosen up a bit. I doubt very much I would consider hip replacements at my age, given that most men tend to die mid 80's.

I have had one side hip replacement done 2019 due to an accident. (Cycling) 

It was done at RAM hospital in  Chiang Mai. Stayed 5 days in private room. Total cost B 270.000. 

I'm 69 years, and rehabilitation still going on. The leg is still weak. 

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

What is important is the quality of your life -- how much misery are you hips causing you and can you get relief from other measures.

Yes, this is what matters.  As usual, Sheryl gets it right.  I'm 76, and I'm not sure I want to be hobbled throughout the remaining years, but  one's "bounce-back" from major surgery at this age doesn't' have the good bounce it had earlier on.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, hakancnx said:

It was done at RAM hospital in  Chiang Mai. Stayed 5 days in private room. Total cost B 270.000. 

But are you pain free?  Does the hip work well, even if there is weakness?

I'm having one done this year at Medpark hospital. Not the cheapest option, but not the most expensive either.

Checked out quite a few hospitals and was impressed with the facilities there and the surgeon. PM me for intro.

1 hour ago, hakancnx said:

You should mention how long it's been since your 5 day stay for a perspective for any readers. 
wait... I read your post again. It's been 3 years with pain since your hip replacement?  What kind of bike accident was this?  Sounds more than just a routine hip replacement! 

Edited by alex8912

14 minutes ago, roquefort said:

I'm having one done this year at Medpark hospital. Not the cheapest option, but not the most expensive either.

Checked out quite a few hospitals and was impressed with the facilities there and the surgeon. PM me for intro.

So how much will it cost ? One side? What were other quotes you got? 

Had a hip done at Ram almost 9 months ago….308K baht for 4 nights….excellent surgeon who has admitting privileges at 4 hospitals - your choice

just my take but would have hip done at any age….why suffer? Wish I had it done 6 months earlier than  from the one year of pain….

must do own rehab like weight training, cycling, swimming, stair master, cross trainer etc to give it best chance towards normalcy…will never be normal but pretty damn close….not a yoga guy but could see huge benefit from it

a side note - this procedure is starting to become done on an outpatient basis in usa…had a good friend there got it done on outpatient basis and verified by my recovery room nurse sister….costs 3x to 5x more in usa

a must do procedure/surgery once everyday pain hits

Edited by cardinalblue
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, oobar said:

But are you pain free?  Does the hip work well, even if there is weakness?

I'm pain free. I feel little sometimes when walking. But rarely. 

I can swim and cycle. No problem. 

16 hours ago, alex8912 said:

You should mention how long it's been since your 5 day stay for a perspective for any readers. 
wait... I read your post again. It's been 3 years with pain since your hip replacement?  What kind of bike accident was this?  Sounds more than just a routine hip replacement! 

I fell on the hip, almost standing still. 

It cracked. 

I have rehabilitate by myself with swimming, cycling and work out. 

It takes it time in my age.