Tourist visa application asking for proof of £5000 in the bank

Applying for a tourist visa and it's asking for proof of £5000 in the bank, is this some new requirement?

I'm trying to do it through this e-visa website

Another is asking for where i'm staying throughout the 60 days, with proof of payment, this hasn't even been planned yet

Is this really all needed?

13 minutes ago, orchis said:

It's not new, I had to show proof in 2019, also with proof of stay

can people just transfer the money in temporarily then take out again?

I always thought it was 50k THB in cash

also there's no way I can provide receipts for hotels when I don't know the itinerary yet, shouldn't really be called a 'tourist visa' if that's the case

• Like 1

To get a Thai tourist visa last year I was asked to comply with the requirements you mention. Maybe you should do the visa exemption and 30 day extension instead of the tourist visa.  Fewer requirements.  Or find a better consulate to apply to.

33 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

also there's no way I can provide receipts for hotels when I don't know the itinerary yet, shouldn't really be called a 'tourist visa' if that's the case

I just showed a bank statement, no money left my (european) bankaccount. it said the amount and the amount of time they required it be in the account. You don't need to transfer your money.
Also I gave the address of a friend as proof of stay, that was accepted.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, swissie said:

Also helpful, concerning Tourist Visas only: Book phisically at a reputable Travel Agency. If something goes wrong, the Travel-Agent will be held responsible for anything that has "gone wrong"

How does that help ???

A Tourist Visa & a Travel agency are 2 completely different entities.

1 hour ago, swissie said:

Also helpful, concerning Tourist Visas only: Book phisically at a reputable Travel Agency. If something goes wrong, the Travel-Agent will be held responsible for anything that has "gone wrong"

A travel agent has nothing to do with your visa in the UK. It's your responsibility - you wouldn't be recompensed if you didn't  meet the visa requirements. The onus is on you.

As someone that lived and worked in Zurich for over 10 years I think it's the same there ????

Edited by Pmbkk

You have to specify exactly what visa - as I didn't see that and I looked yesterday,

Maybe it comes down later as pop-down.

I've seen ambiguous financial requirements without stipulating what they are, or 10K for some, 

11 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

The  bank balance needs to show a £5K minimum  has been in your account for 6 months for the METV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

Well genius what if you want to easily stay 90 days? A tourist visa gives you 60 days plus easy 30 day extension IN COUNTRY!! 
Sorted my butt!

There are numerous ways of staying in Thailand for 90 days, one doesn't have to be a genius to find the easiest way. I merely suggested entering visa exempt, then extending that for 30 days - Then maybe a 60 day Covid Extension - That would give 120 days stay. My point was, if people find applying for a TV, too complex, take the easier option of entering Visa Exempt.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, freedomnow said:

SETV

METV

or

STV

As the requirements are different for each one.....

Think I chose STV thinking it was ‘standard tourist visa’ when should have gone SETV

Anyway just gone with the 30 days then will extend like suggested

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

Applying for a tourist visa and it's asking for proof of £5000 in the bank, is this some new requirement?

That is the requirement for the METV and is the same as previously (the METV wasn't available for a while due to Covid, but seems to be back at most if not all embassies).

The financial requirement for the SETV in the UK is £500, also unchanged.

19 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Just wire the Thai Government the 5K, stay at home and avoid all the inconvenience of international travel.

They are interested in your money only, and certainly not your satisfaction as a visitor and customer.

Why so bitter? Can't afford  to visit here?

14 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

...are these extensions not dead and buried after end of this month ?

The current order expires on May 24th. If it will be extended again is anyone's guess at this point.

For anyone planning a trip to Thailand in the near future, Covid extensions aren't an option to rely on. Eventually, there will be no more.

21 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

Applying for a tourist visa and it's asking for proof of £5000 in the bank, is this some new requirement?...

Requirements of this kind aimed at limiting tourism in Thailand to so-called quality tourists have been in effect also in Switzerland since 2017, if not longer. Notes from my last three visa applications:

2017 Non-O visa to visit Thai wife

Thai embassy in Bern

A copy of a bank statement showing a deposit at the amount equal to no less than 500,000 Baht

2018 Single-entry tourist visa

Thai consulate in Basel

Translated from German:

Bank statement showing at least CHF 1,000.00 during last 3 months

2019 Non-O visa to visit Thai wife

Thai embassy in Bern

A copy of a bank statement showing a deposit at the amount equal to no less than 400,000
Baht, or an original income certificate with a monthly salary of no less than 40,000 Baht