Songkran: Worried about leaving your place empty in the holidays? - police recommend "OBS"

webfact

11 hours ago, Neeranam said:

In Thailand, the police force are akin to one of the 'five families' in New York. 

The difference is that foreigners in the US integrate, socially adapt, and accept it; foreigners in Thailand don't, and instead bash the police at any given chance. Classic case of self-righteousness indignation. 

Not all foreigners khun Neeranam. Just some.

22 years living here and I have had to involve the police in a number of cases from murder to petty theft and lost property.

Never a problem. Always a good result.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, brommers said:

If you are leaving your house empty for days you should do what my neighbour, a senior RTP member does. He leaves the light on permanently in his upstairs toilet! Now that's a smart idea.

Al Bundy is your neighbor!?

1 minute ago, Meat Pie 47 said:
12 hours ago, Neeranam said:

The police look after my home when I'm away. 

Why wouldn't you want them looking after you?

Typical Thai appologist

This is one of the problems on this forum.... 

Someone always tries to dichotomise the discussion....  Just because Neeranam doesn’t think the police are corrupt doesn’t mean he is a Thai apologist, I’m sure he has criticisms of many things in Thailand. 

In just the same manner, someone with justifiable criticisms of some or many things in Thailand is not a Thai Basher.

Often on these forums the words ‘Thai Apologist’ or ‘Thai Basher’ get slung at people with a slightly off centre but still reasonable opinion. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

Not all foreigners khun Neeranam. Just some.

22 years living here and I have had to involve the police in a number of cases from murder to petty theft and lost property.

Never a problem. Always a good result.

Well you lucky, I lived in LOS for a number of years I got broken into a few times had my holiday unit burned down got threatened by my FIL and the RTP could not bother to investigate

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Someone always tries to dichotomise the discussion....  Just because Neeranam doesn’t think the police are corrupt doesn’t mean he is a Thai apologist, I’m sure he has criticisms of many things in Thailand. 

In just the same manner, someone with justifiable criticisms of some or many things in Thailand is not a Thai Basher.

Often on these forums the words ‘Thai Apologist’ or ‘Thai Basher’ get slung at people with a slightly off centre but still reasonable opinion. 

His got Thai citicenship

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I agree. 

BTW, the Thai police are totally corrupt. 

My point was that they are not worse that what goes on in other countries. 

My initial post wasn't directed at you specifically, BTW. 

I'm definitely not an apologist, and have actually been a basher. I think it's quite normal for expats at a certain time of their stay. The wise ones grow out of it. They're are many things I read here now that need to be put in perspective. 

I mentioned the police here being just like the mob in NY, as I've a buddy who constantly moans about the police yet glorifies some Cosa Nostra figures he used to deal with. Extortion, hits, protection, gambling, prostitution., etc. 

He had no problem with the mob as he knew some of the leaders.

I like myself, he refuses to learn the language here or assimilate in any way, therefore knows no leaders here. 

Edited by Neeranam

We had an attempted break-in in the UK.

I asked the police, if we go away should we leave a light on or do something to make it look like we are still in the house?.........he said NO........in his experience burglars prefer occupied properties...........robbing an occupied house is a much bigger thrill for them!!!!