Songkran: Worried about leaving your place empty in the holidays? - police recommend "OBS"

webfact

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Erm....  Is he suggesting that home owners inform the largest organised criminal enterprise in Thailand that there will be no one home ???... 

The police look after my home when I'm away. 

Why wouldn't you want them looking after you?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

In Thailand, the police force are akin to one of the 'five families' in New York. 

The difference is that foreigners in the US integrate, socially adapt, and accept it; foreigners in Thailand don't, and instead bash the police at any given chance. Classic case of self-righteousness indignation. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

IF you think the Thai Police are an honest organisation and don’t involve themselves in crime and corruption there really isn’t a starting ground for any discussion. 

I never said anything of that sort. My point was corruption is everywhere, just in different guises.

When in Rome... and all that. If I was an immigrant in NYC, I would be foolish to refuse to cooperate with The Mob.

Edited by Neeranam

7 minutes ago, brommers said:

If you are leaving your house empty for days you should do what my neighbour, a senior RTP member does. He leaves the light on permanently in his upstairs toilet! Now that's a smart idea.

Yeah burglars don't  know people don't have s***s that take ten days.

It's a dumb idea. A couple of timer switches  to turn lights on and off in different  room is better also  playing a talk radio station.  BUT in the UK the current generation  of burglars don't  care if people are  at home

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Erm....  Is he suggesting that home owners inform the largest organised criminal enterprise in Thailand that there will be no one home ???... 

Yes, I had a similar thought..... it's like telling the security guy on the gatehouse you will be away!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Doctor Tom said:

I had many more problems and issues in the UK and the US than I have ever had here.  Its a location of calm and pleasantness in comparison. Yes Thailand has its frustrations, but so do all other places and usually they are much more irritating. 

Totally agree with you

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

could make off with the window mosquito mesh at least.

I put away a couple of old but working PC laptops and leave out quite visible a couple of older PC laptops that have had motherboard failures that are theirs for the taking.

12 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

I put away a couple of old but working PC laptops and leave out quite visible a couple of older PC laptops that have had motherboard failures that are theirs for the taking.

That's like the dummy wallet trick ...but with computers.

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Again....  :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

I see your point. Of course, if it is made clear to the "largest organised criminal enterprise" that they are the only persons informed that the property is empty . . . .  but what am I saying . . .

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, I had a similar thought..... it's like telling the security guy on the gatehouse you will be away!

Or why not put a sign on your gate saying I will be gone for 10 days, the doors are open. And I know how many bottles on beer there are in the the fridge.

Several years ago a friend of mine, in a nearby village, asked the local police to keep an eye on his house when he went back to his home country for a holiday. On his return the house had been ransacked. Even the electrical wiring and water piping had been stripped off of the walls. A wooden staircase had been dismantled.

I wouldn't trust one of Thailand's 'finest' as far as I could throw his Honda Click.

Edited by edwinchester
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Police presence is a big deterrent for burglars, IMHO, especially when they(police) are fairly senior ones. 

Yes, the police are 'local', again IMHO, local people are better at looking after my home. Not sure what you are inferring here but I certainly wouldn't want a foreigner looking after my home. 

I don't often read the news, but know what's going on in the police force. As a foreigner, I think it much better for you to have local protection, rather than be an outcast; this is where the neighbours might resent you and be more likely to rob you. Assimilation is much better than partition. 

So one minute you are Thai the next a foreigner, so which one is it ?