Health Ministry Advises Elderly to Stay Home During Songkran

webfact

3fb4b288efe102a7856483094fbd1eb5_small.jpg

by Natthaphon Sangpolsit

BANGKOK (NNT) - Health officials are advising senior citizens to stay home during the Songkran holidays due to COVID-19 concerns, saying they should only go outside when absolutely necessary.

Authorities are also urging people to hold their Songkran activities in open or spacious, well-ventilated areas. All participants should wear face masks and keep their distance from senior family members. Additionally, they should forgo activities that involve physical contact or sharing items while the duration of activities should be kept at a minimum. Such activities include bathing Buddha images and pouring water on seniors to ask for their blessing.

Health agencies also recommend practicing social distancing when attending Songkran activities held at temples. These include alms-making, merit-making and sermons, which should take place in open areas. Meals for monks should meanwhile take the form of individual meal sets instead of the typical shared meal arrangement, while people should bring water containers for Buddha image bathing rites.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Suwannachai Wattanayingcharoenchai, direct-general of the Department of Health, noted that the elderly face a heightened risk of severe COVID symptoms and fatality than other age groups.

With crowding expected during Songkran celebrations, seniors are advised to only leave their homes when necessary and to frequently wash their hands. They should also avoid touching their faces with their hands and try to use serving spoons during meals.

The director-general added that senior citizens should get vaccinated against COVID-19 or get their booster doses if they are already vaccinated.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-04-11

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Haha 1

"Health officials are advising senior citizens to stay home during the Songkran holidays" (and adopt a 'siege mentality' by bulk buying on necessities).

Stay Home - like last year - and the year before - and the year before that -

and the year before that - and the .. .. .. 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Health officials are advising senior citizens to stay home during the Songkran holidays due to COVID-19 concerns, saying they should only go outside when absolutely necessary.

But the rest of the nation please travel and spend spend spend.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

Dam, I just bought a new water gun now I have to stay at home. So let me get this straight water and whiskey are bad for old people? 

Could try a water pipe.

Listen to what the dormouse said.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

Dam, I just bought a new water gun now I have to stay at home. So let me get this straight water and whiskey are bad for old people? 

Just put the whiskey in the water gun, shoot it in the air and run under the stream with an open mouth...happy Songkran to yourself

• Haha 1

Not only should the elderly stay home, but their families should also stay away from them. 

no visiting and spreading the COVID, or other flus etc.

I am glad that I am not there for this hot weather, public bath. Done that lots of years

ago, and one time was totally enough.  I like a few other festivals a lot more anyway.

Have a good time this year without the big water fights folks.

As usual wife's family want to come for Songran holiday in Pattaya. Involves 7or 8 crammed into a pickup sleeping on the living room floor. Even my wife had to refuse despite booster doses due to Omicron risk at my advanced age and her lung problems. I am greatly relieved!