No fibre Broadband for new house in the country

LoeiI

Hi all hoping someone can point me in the right direction, as the title suggests i have built a house even further out in the sticks and when i tried to get 3BB to install fibre broadband they said they would need 3 additional customers in the vicinity of my house  i suppose to make it worth their while. There are probably about 5 houses within a mile or so but the occupants are usually in the fields 12 hrs a day not sat at laptops so doubt they would be interested, I have been using my dtac sim (I upgraded the package to unlimited costs over 1000b per month) to watch TV through my laptop (iPlayer, Sky go) and firestick but its not a patch on fibre and keeps freezing my question is are there any better options for me ?  I am not really IT literate in any way so simple suggestions only please TIA 

Looks like you will have to use mobile internet. I am not sure if a mobile antenna would improve reception. Worth trying though.

If you choose an unlimited use package, then 1000 baht a month is to be expected.

Edited by Chris.B
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

pay 3BB extra? ????

I said to the Mrs whilst in the shop can i pay extra but the girl behind the counter didn't seem interested it was the same in the True shop 

Assuming one requires fixed broadband, then this is something to sort out BEFORE  building.

How far are you from a real two-lane paved road? On that road are there overhead wires? Can you identify a fiber splitter box? 

I'd drive around and locate the closest neighbors, talk to them and see what they have if anything.

Have a this friend comb local social media forums, FB groups; have them post questions about availability and options.

Try to determine the two closest ISPs.

Engage them, preferably digitally - no not with a finger - via their FB pages.

Offer to subsidize the total installation costs - assuming they're within your budget.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Looks like you will have to use mobile internet. I am not sure if a mobile antenna would improve reception. Worth trying though.

If you choose an unlimited use package, then 1000 baht a month is to be expected.

I got a DTAC SIM off Lazada, 20Gb/s but usually faster, 60 GB per month, Bht 1200 ! Works perfectly.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LoeiI said:

Hi all hoping someone can point me in the right direction, as the title suggests i have built a house even further out in the sticks and when i tried to get 3BB to install fibre broadband they said they would need 3 additional customers in the vicinity of my house  i suppose to make it worth their while. There are probably about 5 houses within a mile or so but the occupants are usually in the fields 12 hrs a day not sat at laptops so doubt they would be interested, I have been using my dtac sim (I upgraded the package to unlimited costs over 1000b per month) to watch TV through my laptop (iPlayer, Sky go) and firestick but its not a patch on fibre and keeps freezing my question is are there any better options for me ?  I am not really IT literate in any way so simple suggestions only please TIA 

Madness. Unlimited data capped at 30 Mbps costs under 270 baht per month with DTAC or Truemove H..

But you need to obtain a new SIM in order to be able to avail yourself of the package.

Of course you need to find out which of the networks can supply 30 Mbps at your location. Seems not DTAC; as you state that it keeps freezing. But that could have something to do with your equipment.

Are you using your phone as a HotSpot? Which model exactly?

My advice to you would be to go out and obtain a new 50 baht AIS SIM TODAY; as their promos are slated to run until the 12th. 

Get the SIM, top up 20 baht or so, tap in *777*71# on your phone and then press the call key. That should give you enough data to run a speed test via https://testmy.net  Test My Internet > Combined Speed Test.

If the result is good, I will explain how to apply either and unlimited data @ 15 Mbps or Unlimited data @ 20 Mbps; 200 baht or 300 baht respectively.

Edited by Bruno123
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

I got a DTAC SIM off Lazada, 20Gb/s but usually faster, 60 GB per month, Bht 1200 ! Works perfectly.

You are confused. Those are two different products. One is 'up to 20 Mbps' unlimited data and the other is Max Speed up to 60 GB per month of data.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LoeiI said:

Will get the Mrs to ring them ????

Don't do that. Just get a new Prepaid SIM.... TODAY. They have a special promo that runs out after tomorrow. They won't tell you about it, so don't ask. Just get a new 50 baht prepaid SIM and then come back here for further advice.

3 hours ago, Chris.B said:

No...1000 baht is not to be expected. You pay that if you need speeds over 30 Mbps and reception and your equipment allows you to attain the high speeds for which you would pay. Otherwise better to stick to the capped speed plans for 300 baht per month and less.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Bruno123 said:

No...1000 baht is not to be expected. You pay that if you need speeds over 30 Mbps and reception and your equipment allows you to attain the high speeds for which you would pay. Otherwise better to stick to the capped speed plans for 300 baht per month and less.

I said "if you choose an unlimited use plan". Don't misquote me please.

How far is the closest residence they can supply internet to?

Is there a friendly neighbor, that you could get a connection to? There are long range wifi options open to you, you would need an antenna or small dish and some additional kit to manage the network on that end (not expensive) and set up some kit, its not something you will just find in the BigC computer shops, but its available in Thailand.

I feel for you, I spoke to my neighbors when I bought the land, none had fibre internet, so I went to 3BB and they wouldn't even check for me, I had to trust the girl at the counter when she said, we can supply everywhere. Fortunately she was right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

You are confused. Those are two different products. One is 'up to 20 Mbps' unlimited data and the other is Max Speed up to 60 GB per month of data.

Don't really care......IT WORKS.

• Like 1

Do a recce run around your neighborhood.  You can usually spot telephone/fiber lines as they're a few meters below the electric lines.  If you see one of those lines going into someone's home, stop and inquire what company they're using.  

Several years ago TOT started stringing fiber lines to small villages.......3BB followed suit.  I consider our home 'in the sticks'......off the beaten path.......but TOT and 3BB service the area.

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Don't really care......IT WORKS.

I'll try to give you the benefit of the doubt here.

Let's say you were recommending your SIM to anyone here....how would they find it?

An accurate description or a link.

Currently DTAC have a few 12 month packs.

One is 15 Mbps Unlimited for around 1600 baht, another 30 Mbps Unlimited for around 1900 baht.

For full speed plans they have 60 GB and 100 GB for around 1600 and 2000 respectively; both with all network calls.

But you claim to have 20 Gb/s with a 60GB limit It's not possible. So you have made a mistake. 

If you are recommending your pack to anyone; at least confirm the details of what you actually have. No one is saying it isn't any good. I am saying that you are confusing your packs and descriptions...which is confusing to the reader.

I think this is your one: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/turbo-60gb-maxspeed-sim-net-dtac-i1933472323-s6112768869.html

"Up to 100 Mbps". That explains why you can get 20 Mbps or more. Gb/s was obviously a typo on your part.

Don't get mad at me ???? 

Edited by Bruno123

26 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

But you claim to have 20 Gb/s with a 60GB limit It's not possible. So you have made a mistake

Yes, we all make typos now & then. Sorry.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

Don't do that. Just get a new Prepaid SIM.... TODAY. They have a special promo that runs out after tomorrow. They won't tell you about it, so don't ask. Just get a new 50 baht prepaid SIM and then come back here for further advice.

Can i get one from a 7 or a small Lotus ?