No fibre Broadband for new house in the country

LoeiI

16 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Check with your local providers if they have a WiMax type solution, should be cheaper / faster than mobile data and they will tell you when fibre becomes available.

When we moved in I expected to get ADSL (we are a bit far out), "sorry no lines"! Argh. Why not use WiMax (it was ToT i don't recall the actual name)? It worked well most of the time (6km to the tower) then the resort nearby paid for a fibre trunk!!

Our pet ToT chap asked "why don't you get fibre" whilst sorting a problem for us. "We can get fibre?" says me. Two weeks later we had what is now 1Gb down, 500Mb up (it keeps getting quicker for the same $$$).

I could do with a bit of luck like that, the village i lived in prior to moving is about 4 km away and there are 2 big masts just outside the village, Mrs says one is dtac and the other is True, when you say local providers who would that be ? the closest decent sized towns are Chumpae Kohn Kean province or  Wang Saphung Loie province 

• Like 1

Our village evidently got 10 people to request fibre and it happened. Now we have 3 fibre to the house providers. Brilliant.

Whereas my son's house in Aus has this stupid Fibre to the node and ADSL to house. 6 km to the exchange which ADSL was never meant to work over. 

34 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Tried Lazada or Shopee?

Follow the thread ???? I was answering a question from the OP.

It's a SIM to test the speed available in their location. They can go online that way, if the promos still work by the time it arrives: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/ais-4mbps150-10mbps200-15mbps200-20mbps300-i2988541967-s13741088300.html

Many thanks to all for the helpful suggestions Just a quick follow up as its songkran and everything is shut one of the neighbors kids who speaks a bit of English recommended AIS 4G Hi-Speed Home WiFi dual pack SIM NET Marathon, maximum speed 100GB/month I think its 10 mbps does that sound like something i could use to watch the TV apps (sky+, bbc Iplayer, netflix ect.) ? until i get something more permanent sorted out TIA

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/ais-4g-hi-speed-home-wifi-sim-net-marathon-100gb-12-i306548374.html

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LoeiI said:

does that sound like something i could use to watch the TV apps

Probably. Theoretically. Yes.

That's a decent package as it includes the router, SIM and 1 year of service. You could always get a second and third SIM to sue in that router if you hit your 100 GB cap before the end of the current month.

Easy enough for you to buy a 50 baht SIM, subscribe to a 1 day 10 Mbps plan (another 55 baht) and try it out, right?

https://www.ais.th/package/en/package_net_non_stop.html

*777*7286*123456#

Terms & Conditions:

In order to maintain service quality standard and to keep quality network experience for overall subscribers, the Company reserves the rights to manage the network as the Company deems appropriate including but not limited to limiting or decreasing network speed in case it is found that there is a large volume of continuous data transfer, use of BitTorrent, Internet sharing via Hotspot, downloading and/or uploading large files, usage for commercial purposes, or any usage which impacts or creates unfairness to other subscribers, or creates impediments to the network of the Company.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, LoeiI said:

Many thanks to all for the helpful suggestions Just a quick follow up as its songkran and everything is shut one of the neighbors kids who speaks a bit of English recommended AIS 4G Hi-Speed Home WiFi dual pack SIM NET Marathon, maximum speed 100GB/month I think its 10 mbps does that sound like something i could use to watch the TV apps (sky+, bbc Iplayer, netflix ect.) ? until i get something more permanent sorted out TIA

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/ais-4g-hi-speed-home-wifi-sim-net-marathon-100gb-12-i306548374.html

There is a Yes and No answer to that. Some years ago I binned TOT ADSL in favour of another ADSL because they couldn't get much more than 10 mbps. It will work but you need to be very careful with the file size or the stream will start buffering.

A few years back I had a lot of problems being a bit rural and started to use Kodi, something I would suggest you have a look at as you can effectively pick the file size.

I found that with only around 10 mbps you were limited to about 1GB in file size before problems set in. I am now on fiber and with current provider can get about 3-4 GB without too much of a problem. I also use Real Debrid that can provide cached torrents at 1080 with a lower file  size.

As for trying something out, you could always start by using you your phone as a hotspot and do a speed test to get some idea of signal strength. To give you some idea, I have a annual DTAC sim in my phone, it was given to me, that is 4 mbps and with a good signal that is ok for browsing on hotspot but rubbish for streaming.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, sandyf said:

There is a Yes and No answer to that. Some years ago I binned TOT ADSL in favour of another ADSL because they couldn't get much more than 10 mbps. It will work but you need to be very careful with the file size or the stream will start buffering.

A few years back I had a lot of problems being a bit rural and started to use Kodi, something I would suggest you have a look at as you can effectively pick the file size.

I found that with only around 10 mbps you were limited to about 1GB in file size before problems set in. I am now on fiber and with current provider can get about 3-4 GB without too much of a problem. I also use Real Debrid that can provide cached torrents at 1080 with a lower file  size.

As for trying something out, you could always start by using you your phone as a hotspot and do a speed test to get some idea of signal strength. To give you some idea, I have a annual DTAC sim in my phone, it was given to me, that is 4 mbps and with a good signal that is ok for browsing on hotspot but rubbish for streaming.

At the moment I try to use the Mrs phone as a hotspot as it seems to work better than mine (Less egg timer moments when watching BBC iplayer) does the make and model of phone make a difference to the mbps you can get ? so would i download an app to my phone to check my signal strength ? as i have unlimited internet with dtac go 1099 i am assuming its the speed thats the problem ? (apologies if my query's seem a bit daft or obvious but i'm a bit of a cabbage when it comes to IT)

On 4/11/2022 at 11:00 AM, userabcd said:

DTAC for me has always buffered when streaming on certain web sites whereas True and TOT do not..

Yep, I think the 4G/5G providers will throttle certain protocols: VPN, torrent, streaming, etc Let us pray the fiber provider won't follow suit.

19 minutes ago, LoeiI said:

At the moment I try to use the Mrs phone as a hotspot as it seems to work better than mine (Less egg timer moments when watching BBC iplayer) does the make and model of phone make a difference to the mbps you can get ? so would i download an app to my phone to check my signal strength ? as i have unlimited internet with dtac go 1099 i am assuming its the speed thats the problem ? (apologies if my query's seem a bit daft or obvious but i'm a bit of a cabbage when it comes to IT)

To watch BBC iPlayer on ANY device you need a VPN in order to fool them that you are in UK. A VPN will always slow your reception down whether it be WiFi or Ethernet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

To watch BBC iPlayer on ANY device you need a VPN in order to fool them that you are in UK. A VPN will always slow your reception down whether it be WiFi or Ethernet.

Thanks for the info i wasn't aware of that i use Nord VPN because as you say you cant access iPlayer, sky go without one

• Like 1

On 4/11/2022 at 10:53 AM, LoeiI said:

I said to the Mrs whilst in the shop can i pay extra but the girl behind the counter didn't seem interested it was the same in the True shop 

Don't ask the girl in the 3BB shop, talk to the Service Number 1530.

That's how we did it in our new house, it took us a while (3-4 months) and lots of phone calls but they finally got us our Fiber broadband.

Emphasis that you are willing to pay extra, we were willing to pay for all the extra people that were needed for 1 year to get us the line.

@Crossy it seems that (for TOT) WiMax has been phased out after this Broadband to Village promo from 1-2 years ago!

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, LoeiI said:

does that sound like something i could use to watch the TV apps (sky+, bbc Iplayer, netflix ect.) ? until i get something more permanent sorted out TIA

I had AIS 4G Home Wifi while we were waiting for 3BB.

(I still have that device, the package we had was UNLIMITED MAX 10Mb speed)

At night the speed is great, but after the kids come out of school and in the weekends the speed drops DRAMATICALLY!!

Streaming BUT ONLY if the streaming service can buffer!!

Watching it prime time?? Over VPN?? Sincerly doubt it

Edit:

Their current one is a 5G one

https://store.ais.co.th/en/5g-home-wifi-zlt-x21g.html

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One more comment about streaming via 4/5G

I think Netflix (Thai) can work as they use local Thai Servers. Try their (Netflix) speed test

Link:   https://fast.com/

But if you want UK Netflix or BBC watching on Prime Time (Thai) via 4/5G as said I sincerely doubt it.

It's a shame that Thai Expat TV is defunct, that worked great with BAD Internet connections, just start the program you wanna watch, HIT pause, let it buffer till it maxed out (30 mins I believe) and watched it BUFFER Free (most of the time :whistling: )

13 minutes ago, MJCM said:

One more comment about streaming via 4/5G

I think Netflix (Thai) can work as they use local Thai Servers. Try their (Netflix) speed test

Link:   https://fast.com/

But if you want UK Netflix or BBC watching on Prime Time (Thai) via 4/5G as said I sincerely doubt it.

It's a shame that Thai Expat TV is defunct, that worked great with BAD Internet connections, just start the program you wanna watch, HIT pause, let it buffer till it maxed out (30 mins I believe) and watched it BUFFER Free (most of the time :whistling: )

I've seen similar posts regarding UK or Thai Netflix I use the son in laws account he lives in the UK and watch it on my TV which doesn't have a VPN as far as I'm aware so I'm guessing it must be watching UK Netflix ?

32 minutes ago, LoeiI said:

I've seen similar posts regarding UK or Thai Netflix I use the son in laws account he lives in the UK and watch it on my TV which doesn't have a VPN as far as I'm aware so I'm guessing it must be watching UK Netflix ?

Are you saying you have no VPN installed and watching UK Netflix in Thailand?

Did you son in law set something up for you?? VPN on your Router perhaps?

5 hours ago, LoeiI said:

Nothing wrong with your queries, none of us were born knowledgeable. I don't know a great deal about phones so not sure how the model would affect the download speed. The service you have on the sim certainly would,  almost a case of you get what you pay for. 

My main sim is voice only, the DTAC I referred to was given to me and I put it in the second sim slot, only use it for internet when away from home. Quite often better than you get in a hotel.

I normally use an android box to watch TV, very similar to a phone but uses the internet rather than a sim.  When the router goes off I then use the phone as a hotspot. What I sometimes do then is download the movie or series from Kodi and watch it from a USB drive. I have Kodi on both my android box and laptop.

Downtime is something you have to expect in the country, there is often someone messing with trees and getting it wrong. 

Yes you can get an app from the Play Store to check download speed, there are several available, the one I use is called Speedtest by Ookla.

I used to have BBC Iplayer but a few years back they got awkward and I gave up on it. You must have a better VPN than I have, I use Cyberghost. It's no big deal as I can get any of the UK stuff I want on Kodi and I can run that without a VPN.

There is no live TV on Kodi so I use a couple of android apps to watch the news, about the only live TV I watch.

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

Quite, it was really user friendly so ok for my wife. She struggles a bit with Kodi.

I was lucky, went belly up the week before my subscription was due for renewal.

6 hours ago, MJCM said:

Are you saying you have no VPN installed and watching UK Netflix in Thailand?

Did you son in law set something up for you?? VPN on your Router perhaps?

You maybe right in the previous house i watched Netflix, Sky, BT sport and all the uk channels using an amazon fire stick the he got  me with something downloaded on it so it could have had a VPN on it ? thing is it stopped working so i couldnt watch any UK stuff (only through the laptop) but could still watch Netflix on the TV through his account

15 hours ago, Mavideol said:

give a call to Elon Musk and ask for starlink

Not available here, yet. Saw some announcements by a reseller within the last 2 years, but expect the licensing process will be glacial without extreme lubrication. Market potential is miniscule here, maybe three people including the OP?

16 hours ago, LoeiI said:

No. You are watching Netflix Thailand.

Where your account is based is irrelevant.

You could watch U.K. Netflix from thailand by using a VPN, assuming Netflix hasn't whitelisted your VPN provider.

One solution would be to offer to pay those other 3 people the cost of connection at the cheapest rate. The contracts are only for one year anyway so if they don't want it they just let it lapse after 1 year.  That way you get your connection and the additional cost you will need to pay to get those other 3 hooked up will probably be less then 2000 baht total, much cheaper and far quicker than continue to pay for mobile internet.

Plus those 3 will think you are a good guy for giving them one free years of internet.

Edited by Excel
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Not available here, yet. Saw some announcements by a reseller within the last 2 years, but expect the licensing process will be glacial without extreme lubrication. Market potential is miniscule here, maybe three people including the OP?

No. You are watching Netflix Thailand.

Where your account is based is irrelevant.

You could watch U.K. Netflix from thailand by using a VPN, assuming Netflix hasn't whitelisted your VPN provider.

Is there any way to tell whether your watching Thai or UK Netflix and does it make any difference ? as far as i can see it looks the same as when i watched it in the UK 

• 4 weeks later...