Bangkok Bank sending to the UK online fees etc

I see that you can send international payments through online app.

I want to send 400,000 to my UK bank account. (natwest account)

I see that it states you can send and pay 200 badt and then pay fee on the UK side or pay 1050 badt and no fees on international side.

Has anyone done this recently, what was their experience, any issues with sending, rates, troubles with bank etc?

I appreciate your input

I have done it a couple of times this year. Firstly you need to go to the bank branch with your passbook, passport and all the usual stuff.

They will probably tell you that it cannot be done, (they did to me), so I simply said call the head office and they will tell you how to do it. It took some 2 hours as the branch was very busy but it eventually happened. It took another 30 minutes for the bank to get their part done and give me a receipt.

About 3 or 4 days later I got a message confirming the transaction and a way of doing it online from my pc.

I paid the 1.050 baht fee at this end as it was easier.

I hope that this is of some help.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, billd766 said:

I have done it a couple of times this year. Firstly you need to go to the bank branch with your passbook, passport and all the usual stuff.

They will probably tell you that it cannot be done, (they did to me), so I simply said call the head office and they will tell you how to do it. It took some 2 hours as the branch was very busy but it eventually happened. It took another 30 minutes for the bank to get their part done and give me a receipt.

About 3 or 4 days later I got a message confirming the transaction and a way of doing it online from my pc.

I paid the 1.050 baht fee at this end as it was easier.

I hope that this is of some help.

Thanks for that. How did you find the rate, and the how long was it until funds arrived? Regards

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foreignheight6foot2 said:

Thanks for that. How did you find the rate, and the how long was it until funds arrived? Regards

I worked backwards from the amount of money transferred as GBP and it was converted to baht automatically.

Bangkok bank forex rate is not very good but I managed to make the transfer and I will do it again but reluctantly. To transfer roughly the same amount from Wise UK to Bangkok Bank was about 8 times cheaper then BBK to Wise charges. But needs must when the devil drives, but,  the devil is a hard bargainer and a relatively an expensive way to go.

Having said that, I think that the 1,050 baht is a fixed fee for however much you need to transfer.

There are several other options, Dee money is one (but you have to open an account with them).

Western Union is another and available at most post offices.

Edited by billd766
Added extra text

I may need to transfer some money to the UK likewise. Can anybody clarify whether:

1) you can do this with an ordinary Bangkok Bank Savings account (i.e. not current account)

2) do you have to have a work permit, or can a retirement visa extension satisfy the banks' conditions.

Tks

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/13/2022 at 12:51 PM, billd766 said:

I worked backwards from the amount of money transferred as GBP and it was converted to baht automatically.

Bangkok bank forex rate is not very good but I managed to make the transfer and I will do it again but reluctantly. To transfer roughly the same amount from Wise UK to Bangkok Bank was about 8 times cheaper then BBK to Wise charges. But needs must when the devil drives, but,  the devil is a hard bargainer and a relatively an expensive way to go.

Having said that, I think that the 1,050 baht is a fixed fee for however much you need to transfer.

There are several other options, Dee money is one (but you have to open an account with them).

Western Union is another and available at most post offices.

did you use Iban and any other details did you send through a tester amount or just send it regardless?

thanks

• Like 1

I tend to use DeeMoney to send money back to my UK accounts. Very straightforward and fast.

I did work it out many years ago and it was cheaper than my BK-Bank account to Natwest account than through the bank system which I'd used previously.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Foreignheight6foot2 said:

did you use Iban and any other details did you send through a tester amount or just send it regardless?

thanks

I sent the amount through regardless. 

Before I did it

I looked at KBank and to send through them I needed a KPlus account but I only have a KBiz account and they would not let me open one at that time.

I looked at Western Union which is available at most post offices but requires a specific address at the UK end.

I opened an account online with Dee Money but I never managed to figure out how to transfer from BBK to Dee and then transfer again to my UK account. For my first transfer Dee would have charged me 250 baht plus BBK fees if any.

In the end I had to go to my sub branch at BigC in Kamphaeng Phet to get credit advice notes to prove that I had imported the funds in the first place. That took a little while but was free. Then I went back to the main branch several days later to do the actual transfer.

I asked the bank to transfer it (carefully having checked with the Head Office first).

You cannot.

Yes I can and I have all the documents. The first cashier had no idea and didn;t want to know. He put on his Teflon shouldered jacket and dumped it with someone else. After some 30 minutes of back and forth, one of the backroom ladies came out and took all the papers and another 30 minutes went by and the job was done.

Since then I managed to open an international transfer with BBK and I can now do it online on my pc.

Was it worth it? It all depends on how much you want to send and how often. It is  handy thing to have as a back up but I wouldn't recommend doing it too often as the cost is around 1,000 to 1,200 baht a time.

OTOH it IS a useful thing if you do it through online banking.

31 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I sent the amount through regardless. 

Before I did it

I looked at KBank and to send through them I needed a KPlus account but I only have a KBiz account and they would not let me open one at that time.

I looked at Western Union which is available at most post offices but requires a specific address at the UK end.

I opened an account online with Dee Money but I never managed to figure out how to transfer from BBK to Dee and then transfer again to my UK account. For my first transfer Dee would have charged me 250 baht plus BBK fees if any.

In the end I had to go to my sub branch at BigC in Kamphaeng Phet to get credit advice notes to prove that I had imported the funds in the first place. That took a little while but was free. Then I went back to the main branch several days later to do the actual transfer.

I asked the bank to transfer it (carefully having checked with the Head Office first).

You cannot.

Yes I can and I have all the documents. The first cashier had no idea and didn;t want to know. He put on his Teflon shouldered jacket and dumped it with someone else. After some 30 minutes of back and forth, one of the backroom ladies came out and took all the papers and another 30 minutes went by and the job was done.

Since then I managed to open an international transfer with BBK and I can now do it online on my pc.

Was it worth it? It all depends on how much you want to send and how often. It is  handy thing to have as a back up but I wouldn't recommend doing it too often as the cost is around 1,000 to 1,200 baht a time.

OTOH it IS a useful thing if you do it through online banking.

okay so now that it’s all set up you can do it from from the mobile banking app right? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Everyman said:

okay so now that it’s all set up you can do it from from the mobile banking app right? 

Now I can, but first I had to apply through BBK to get the banking app which took about 3 days. After that it is simple but a bit expensive. Definitely something I want to do as little as possible.