Arriving in BKK from overseas, with connecting flight to Chiang Mai where to book SHA hotel?

My girlfriend is travelling from Malaysia to Thailand to meet me in CM in a couple of weeks, but there are no direct flights.  Question is, can she board the connecting flight in Bangkok to Chiang Mai and do the required SHA hotel 1 night stay and Covid test in Chiang Mai or does it have to be in Bangkok?

Edited by SteezyP

From the TAT news website:

The following rules will be in effect from 1 April, 2022, and will also apply to travellers who have applied for/obtained the TEST & GO Thailand Pass or Certificate of Entry with scheduled arrivals from this date.

Points of entry:

• By air – Direct international flights to Don Mueang, Suvarnabhumi, Phuket, Krabi, Samui, Chiang Mai, U-Tapao, and Hat Yai (new) international airports, or transit domestically via dedicated flights.
  • By land – Via border checkpoints in Nong Khai, Udon Thani, Songkhla, and Satun (new).
  • By water – Eligible types of vessels include private yachts and ships of Thai government agencies, while Thai crew members on cargo ships will also be allowed to enter Thailand.

The part I've underlined above not entirely clear to me but seems to indicate it's ok to transit first.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If she has to get on a domestic flight to Chiang Mai she will have to do one night in a approved hotel in Bangkok until she gets the result of her covid 19 test.

Thank you so much for clearing that up!

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If she has to get on a domestic flight to Chiang Mai she will have to do one night in a approved hotel in Bangkok until she gets the result of her covid 19 test.

Anything else would be silly; if positive, she could put an entire domestic plane-load of passengers at risk of being locked up.

Agree with the above but I landed in Chiang Rai a couple of weeks ago on a domestic flight and was approached at the baggage carousel by a couple with a clipboard asking if I was a Thailand Pass arrival.  They were obviously waiting on someone but why would they be doing this in Chiang Rai given what we are supposed to know about TP, Test and Go etc?

1 hour ago, treetops said:

Agree with the above but I landed in Chiang Rai a couple of weeks ago on a domestic flight and was approached at the baggage carousel by a couple with a clipboard asking if I was a Thailand Pass arrival.  They were obviously waiting on someone but why would they be doing this in Chiang Rai given what we are supposed to know about TP, Test and Go etc?

There are international direct flights to Chiang Rai.

47 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

There are international direct flights to Chiang Rai.

That would surely explain it, although I wasn't aware of any.  Flightradar isn't showing any currently either, only the two Bangkok airports, Phuket and Hat Yai this week.  Do you know where they were coming from?  Charters perhaps?

image.png.9b3f6d874d8ff22d86f8bb8e7c291c27.png

I'm not saying that sealed flights are available to Chiang Mai at the moment but I thought that it was possible to quarantine in other areas provided its on a dedicated sealed flight - as per the TAT info.

That's the case with Samui is it not? You arrive in BKK and transfer to a dedicated 'sealed' flight to Samui? - I haven't paid particular attention to that aspect but I seem to remember reading something like that.

Another confusing thing - they say that you can transfer to an SHA+ hotel anywhere by car as long as the car is arranged by the hotel and the hotel is within 2 hours of your arrival airport.  Why then are there SHA+ hotels in Nakhon Ratchasima?  I defy anyone to get there from Suvarnabhumi within 2 hours.

21 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Why then are there SHA+ hotels in Nakhon Ratchasima?

Hotels getting the certification in anticipation of the rules being relaxed perhaps?

ETA:  Didn't they have to get it to be allowed to re-open at one stage?

Edited by treetops
  • Thanks 1