Brake failure! Eight tourists survive after pick-up overturns on Phetchabun hill - PYB son not so lucky

webfact

1 minute ago, blackshadow said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Brake fade, which causes the brakes to become ineffective, is not uncommon on hill descents such as the one reported in the OP.   Fade can be interpreted by the driver as brake failure, it is not "a complete lie by Thais".

so use the HANDBRAKE gently !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you must have degree in brake fade

Use the handbrake which operates on the same fading brakes?  Great idea.   I'd guess that you don't have "a degree in brake fade", either.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, taotoo said:

steep hill in top gear with your foot on the brake pedal

Hardly any Thai driver seems to know that you should go to low gear or even switch automatic.

Equivalent applies uphill:biggrin:

A running gag: uphill on highway 2 (Mithrapap).

It's a molehill to me but judging from the creeping vehicles fighting uphill it feels like the Khyber Pass.

Edited by KhunBENQ

On 4/15/2022 at 11:46 AM, webfact said:

One was seriously injured, two had medium injuries and 5 escaped with minor injuries. 

So, that's a total of 8 people in a vehicle which legally, should only have 2 people in it, plus this lot below!

Are they ever going to learn?

P. S. That is a very steep hill isn't it.

Pick up crash.jpg

Edited by Moonlover

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Brake fade, which causes the brakes to become ineffective, is not uncommon on hill descents such as the one reported in the OP.   Fade can be interpreted by the driver as brake failure, it is not "a complete lie by Thais".

They why don’t we read of so much brake failure (brake fade) in Europe ? especially with more automatic cars around these days ?

Is the ‘brake failure’ just confirmation bias because we are reading a Thailand based forum ?

I’m from a relatively ‘hilly’ area in the UK and we just don’t hear of ‘brake failure’ there the same way we do in Thailand. 

Are the hills different in Thailand, roads steeper ?

or, are the drivers in Europe better trained to ‘drop’ the auto-gear shift into 3rd or 2nd gear to allow the engine to do some of the braking work ?

or, are Thai drivers simply driving too fast and brake failure is an excuse for ‘couldn’t slow for the corner in time because I was going too fast down a hill’ ????

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

They why don’t we read of so much brake failure (brake fade) in Europe ? especially with more automatic cars around these days ?

Is the ‘brake failure’ just confirmation bias because we are reading a Thailand based forum ?

I’m from a relatively ‘hilly’ area in the UK and we just don’t hear of ‘brake failure’ there the same way we do in Thailand. 

Are the hills different in Thailand, roads steeper ?

or, are the drivers in Europe better trained to ‘drop’ the auto-gear shift into 3rd or 2nd gear to allow the engine to do some of the braking work ?

or, are Thai drivers simply driving too fast and brake failure is an excuse for ‘couldn’t slow for the corner in time because I was going too fast down a hill’ ????

Drivers in our home countries receive proper tuition before being released onto the roads.

And that training will include the correct procedure for descending a steep hill by using the gears to make maximum use of engine braking. It doesn't matter whether the vehicle has a manual or an auto shift, the procedure's just the same.

I've travelled with several Thais here who don't the first clue about using the gears correctly, especially manual shifts and most pick ups here are manual shifts.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1