Air Con Sensors & Remotes

Eleftheros

My LG aircon has an annoying habit of failing to start with the remote, usually triggered by an earlier power cut or even a thunderstorm.

The problem seems to be with the A/C sensor failing to pick up the signal from the remote. The current options I have is to call in an electrician who fiddles about with the inner workings and maybe resets something, or climbing a ladder, opening the front of the aircon and turning it on manually.

Can anyone suggest a more lasting solution?

Buy a new remote. With my older Samsung AC the blower unit inside would sometimes start but the outside compressor would not. Bought a new official remote from Samsung because the old one died.

Start-up problem ceased.

Edited by jerrymahoney

Dumb suggestion - New batteries in the remote (I know, I know, but one has to ask).

A replacement remote might sort it - only really one way to find out.

Otherwise it's going to be a new sensor board in the indoor unit. Hopefully a nice cheap part and not integrated with a load of other electronics.

• Like 2

The remote is good - always I make sure the batteries are full.

I'm sure the problem is the sensor, but the question is what to do about it. The local guy thinks giving a hit with a hammer every two weeks is the answer, and he says "LG always has a problem with its sensors."

Anyway, I'll do some research on spare parts, so thanks for all your answers. Another possible problem is that the electricity supply is rather variable around here, which I am sure is not good for many household devices.

16 minutes ago, Eleftheros said:

I'm sure the problem is the sensor, but the question is what to do about it.

Clean the sensor window of the ac unit inside and out and the sensor for that matter,

Dust isn't restricted to the just the filters.

• Like 2

On 4/17/2022 at 11:07 AM, Eleftheros said:

My LG aircon has an annoying habit of failing to start with the remote, usually triggered by an earlier power cut or even a thunderstorm.

The problem seems to be with the A/C sensor failing to pick up the signal from the remote.

Possible a power cycling of the system with a decent delay could be the answer due to your " power cut or thunderstorm" observation.

Both could have caused a brown out situation that the controls incorporated in systems these days didn't like one bit..

Also possible the remote is cactus, knackered.....most times these remotes which are essentially a coded ir signal, can be detected by a mobile phone camera as a basic test.

Not as far as the coded signal is concerned but simply that they are in fact transmitting.

Buttons in these things are as cheap-as construction, (essentially a film of carbon sprayed on a silicon membrane.) and do wear out.

• Like 1