Following Coachella, Thailand to push for mango sticky rice on UNESCO’s heritage list

snoop1130

5C5D9869-FB5D-48EC-9A86-BE774AC61D32.png

Image Credit: jcomp via freepik.com

Mango sticky rice has suddenly become a hit Thai dessert, which is selling like hot cakes in some markets in Bangkok and elsewhere and the Thai Cultural Promotion Department plans to apply for its listing as part of the country’s intangible cultural heritage, following the performance of Thai rapper Danupha Kanateerakul, aka “Milli”, at the world-famous music festival Coachella over the weekend, during which she ate the Thai dessert.

An owner of a mango sticky rice shop at Simummuang Market told Thai PBS today (Monday) that her sales have increased substantially. She said she usually sells one 20kg crate of mangos and about 10 sacks of well-cooked sticky rice. The day after the Milli’s performance, however, she said that there were so many orders for mango sticky rice boxes that she could not peel the fruit fast enough, adding that she now has to peel about four crates of mangos.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Director-General of Cultural Promotion Department Chai Nakornchai said a similar phenomenon occurred when skewered meatballs, sold at an outlet in Buri Ram province, sold like mad when Thai female rapper Lisa, of the Korean Blackpink girl group, a native of Buri Ram, said she craved the meatballs at the store.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/following-coachella-thailand-to-push-for-mango-sticky-rice-on-unescos-heritage-list/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-04-18

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

the Thai Cultural Promotion Department plans to apply for its listing as part of the country’s intangible cultural heritage, following the performance of Thai rapper Danupha Kanateerakul, aka “Milli”, at the world-famous music festival Coachella over the weekend, during which she ate the Thai dessert.

More chance of getting "spotted dick" named.

11 hours ago, billd766 said:

I enjoy mango and sticky rice.

I can't eat the mangos fast enough to keep up with the ones falling from our 4 trees, but I haven't seen any stick rice for a while.

My Mrs just back from the village, bloody mangoes everywhere! There is gossip about 'don't go there, they will give you mangoes'.....

• Haha 2

If mangoes and rice are intangible cultural icons because some pop star consumed them at a festival... All I can say is I hope she didn't drop a couple of Es and blast a couple of lines of coke as well. Although if she did and Es and coke become part of Thai culture that might be a good thing.