Hi, just to confirm...

That's been the general rule. 1 day overstay...no B500 penalty. More than that and it's B500 per day including Day 1. However, as things can change on a whim here...have B500 available.

Seem to recall the one time I did it may years back, even tho no monetary penalty...they still sent me to a desk where an overstay notation was stamped in my PP. 

41 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I prefer to say if leaving from either airport in Bangkok you will not be fined for a overstay of less than 24 hours and it is still being done at this time.

Not all airports waive the 500 baht fine for a less than a 24 hour overstay and as far as I know no border crossing does it.l

I'd guess that less than 24hrs is not one day. :unsure:

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I'd guess that less than 24hrs is not one day.

I was stating what immigrations rule for it states. 

The stamp for it states 24 hours on it. I have a couple of them in a old passport.

• Like 1

As in all dealings with immigration, it's a case-by-case basis. My experience with two occasions of one-day overstays, less than 24 hours, departing Suvarnabhumi. One was fined the 500 baht, one had the fine waived. In both instances as I recall a notation was made in the passport. Be prepared to pay, even though you might not have to. 

Edited by rwilem
spell
  • Like 1

I took the train to Malaysia some years ago, train was late, passed immigration 00.15, had to pay  500 baht. My GF asked if not 1st day was "free" and the answer was a clear "No" but rules might be different if you fly or passes other boarders.

• Like 1

Simple Answer to the OP....If You are leaving 2nd May just check in on 1st May ( Before Midnight ) NO Fine but if your flight isn't till say the Afternoon Or The Evening of the 2nd,You can Spend Yer 500 Baht on Stuff to Eat & Drink in one of the many Food Outlets.....Then Hey Presto You No Have 500 Baht Left.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Simple Answer to the OP....If You are leaving 2nd May just check in on 1st May ( Before Midnight ) NO Fine but if your flight isn't till say the Afternoon Or The Evening of the 2nd,You can Spend Yer 500 Baht on Stuff to Eat & Drink in one of the many Food Outlets.....Then Hey Presto You No Have 500 Baht Left.....

He'll also need to clear Immigration before midnight, though. And 500 THB won't go far on food & drink airside.☹️

4 hours ago, Eaglekott said:

I took the train to Malaysia some years ago, train was late, passed immigration 00.15, had to pay  500 baht. My GF asked if not 1st day was "free" and the answer was a clear "No" but rules might be different if you fly or passes other boarders.

No Land borders give the free 24 hours overstay day, only the Bangkok airports usually do. Some other airports do not.