Pictures for marriage visa at immigration

bert bloggs

Dont laugh but i have done this visa many times but this time on printing the pics we are only shown from the waist up althogh its obviously us in our house  bedroom ,garden etc but i dont want to eventually go there and am told " we have to see all of you"  will these be ok? 

• Haha 1

I did my marriage extension with Jonmtien IO in January of this year,  all of our photos were from the waist up (selfie pics), the only kick back I got was they wanted one photo per each A4 paper.  They didn't like 4x6 glossy pics.

Side note: on the 2nd visit with the "proper" photos, the lady working the family desk made a snide remark to my wife in Thai that if I file next year I'd better have both sets of paperwork stacked identical or they won't be "so nice".  I guess a couple of papers were out of order and she didn't like it.

Good Luck.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, bbko said:

I did my marriage extension with Jonmtien IO in January of this year,  all of our photos were from the waist up (selfie pics), the only kick back I got was they wanted one photo per each A4 paper.  They didn't like 4x6 glossy pics.

Side note: on the 2nd visit with the "proper" photos, the lady working the family desk made a snide remark to my wife in Thai that if I file next year I'd better have both sets of paperwork stacked identical or they won't be "so nice".  I guess a couple of papers were out of order and she didn't like it.

Good Luck.

Yes two years ago she made me stack everything " in identical piles" this year because we not used any money except that taken out on the day she made us get a new bank letter crazy ,but thanks for that about from the waist up ,by the way we have always had 2 on the a4 page.

Edited by bert bloggs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

One more reason that I started using an agent several years ago after doing everything myself for over twenty-five years.  The less time I have to spend at Immigration, the better.  Now I go once a year and I am usually only there for less than fifteen minutes.  As I have grown older, I don't like dealing with bureaucrats from any country.  My US passport will expire at the beginning of next year.  I have renewed it three times at the US Consulate here in Chiang Mai, but now the only "citizen services" they handle are emergency ones like deaths or arrests, so my agent will handle the renewal for me.  I prefer not to even speak to any government employees from and countries if at all possible.  By the way, I speak Thai quite well, so language is not the issue.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, CM Dad said:

One more reason that I started using an agent several years ago after doing everything myself for over twenty-five years.  The less time I have to spend at Immigration, the better.  Now I go once a year and I am usually only there for less than fifteen minutes.  As I have grown older, I don't like dealing with bureaucrats from any country.  My US passport will expire at the beginning of next year.  I have renewed it three times at the US Consulate here in Chiang Mai, but now the only "citizen services" they handle are emergency ones like deaths or arrests, so my agent will handle the renewal for me.  I prefer not to even speak to any government employees from and countries if at all possible.  By the way, I speak Thai quite well, so language is not the issue.

Agree with using an agency. I have from the beginning, over a decade ago. My reasoning was that they deal daily with any regulation, "particularity" due to new bosses or IO interpretations. They know who gives issues so, it is worth it to me to pay a reasonable fee not to have any issues. I am fortunate having the US Consulate here in Chiang Mai, have never had any problems whether renewing my Passport (more of an issue with Thailand as they do not handle US Passport numbers changing on every renewal), getting a certified affidavit or getting US Visas for my significant other.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, connda said:

I wonder when they will require pictures of you and the wife doing the 'horizontal mambo' on the 'wedding bed.'

We have to supply one with us on the bed, and they have made us do it again on home visit, one really weird officer went outside and took it through the window ! one time they wanted the witness my mate's wife also to sit on the bed with us ! I refused to be photo'd on the bed with my mates  wife, he is a very big young bloke LOL selfies not allowed at Trat I.O.  TTBOMK

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

We have to supply one with us on the bed, and they have made us do it again on home visit, one really weird officer went outside and took it through the window ! one time they wanted the witness my mate's wife also to sit on the bed with us ! I refused to be photo'd on the bed with my mates  wife, he is a very big young bloke LOL selfies not allowed at Trat I.O.  TTBOMK

The last two times that immigration have come to our house they have not even bothered to come inside  ,and just took a picture of me the wife and our neighbour on the lawn , i have a funny feeling that it has something to do with the fact her husband owns a large company and when 3 years ago they asked her  how much she got a month ,two of them fainted???? and the others were and have been very polite when they come .,also she is quite attractive but dont tell the wife i said that.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, connda said:

I wonder when they will require pictures of you and the wife doing the 'horizontal mambo' on the 'wedding bed.'

Well there's a new 'descriptor' to me. 

I always knew it as photos of the bride and groom mounted.

• Haha 2

On 4/20/2022 at 4:43 PM, bbko said:

Good Luck.

My IO only needs one set of papers. As so often, each office makes up their own rules. I think they say they need two as one set is sent away to the regional office. Mine are, but they still only need one set. As for photos, I take a bunch and let the IO choose which he wants and he sticks then on the A4. Your experience was just another case of those whose job it is to deal with foreigners not liking foreigners. Not an ideal combination.

• Haha 1

On 4/20/2022 at 4:59 PM, bert bloggs said:

Yes two years ago she made me stack everything " in identical piles" this year because we not used any money except that taken out on the day she made us get a new bank letter crazy ,but thanks for that about from the waist up ,by the way we have always had 2 on the a4 page.

I often wonder what is wrong with these people who enforce such unreasonable requirements, they must live very sad lives, or perhaps envious that your wife has snared a farang.

Fortunately I have never had any issues with my retirement extension.

I have visited the Thai passport office on a couple of occasions for my wife and daughter and you couldn’t find a more helpful and friendly department, it’s like a breath of fresh air.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When I did the extensions based on Non O I took the following: 

- Photo of Wife and I (full body) stood outside our house, house number clearly visible - 1/2 page A4

- Photo Inside the living room (Wife and I full photo) - 1/2 Page A4 (same page) as above.

I also had the photo printed individually on A4 just incase - it wasnt asked for.

That was it. I refused to take one in the bedroom.

I also had a couple more photos of Wife and I outside and in the house from different angles, just as backup incase we had an awkward Immi officer, they weren’t bothered. 

I also had location Map pasted from Google Maps and on the other side hand drawn (I heard the wanted hand drawn). 

They didn’t care for the letter from my Bank. They only cared that the Bank Book was updated that day, previous day was not acceptable (we had to go away and do that again).

• Haha 1

Op... Do what you normally do...  1/2 page if you want etc... 

Then have a couple of extra photos in as back up. 

Wait to see IF the officer asks for more... then you can rely on them. 

i.e. have 4 separate photos, full A4 print... 

- outside house both of you, full body, house number showing.

- Inside house (full body).

- Inside house (half body).

- Sat on bed (if you are ok with that). 

It’s long been suspected that the difficult Immi officers (the dragon in this case) always wants ’something else’ is not quite satisfied with what you produced in years before. 

Thus: have something in the back pocket to appease her. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I often wonder what is wrong with these people who enforce such unreasonable requirements, they must live very sad lives, or perhaps envious that your wife has snared a farang.

Fortunately I have never had any issues with my retirement extension.

I have visited the Thai passport office on a couple of occasions for my wife and daughter and you couldn’t find a more helpful and friendly department, it’s like a breath of fresh air.

Likewise most of my visits have been uneventful, productive and pleasant except for the last time I had to get a replacement PR (Certificate of Residence) book because my old one was full of outgoing/incoming passport stamps. 

I arrived at the appropriate section at CW about 11.15 am in my wheelchair, no other customers so head lady signals for me to wheel myself to her desk.

She then said "you have been here many times before, you should know to have respect for the immigration officers and arrive before this time so that the immigration officers lunch period is not disturbed, come back after 2.00 pm". I did that and the replacement book process went smoothly.

On the other hand I had a very plesant experience last 9 December, I arrived at Suvarnabhumi (with Thailand Pass - TP) from Australia, with 4 Covid- 19 vacccination jabs.

The Interior Ministry had much earlier issued an extension of time for PR holders to return because of the Covid- 19 situation and that extenion of time was still open.

My TP documents all checked within a couple of minutes then the wheelchair assistant young man wheeled me to the passport desk.

The immigration officer opened my passport and PR book and quickly said, while looking very concerned "your re-entry stamps have expired'. His buddy quickly took the books and said to me "I think you are OK" and then quickly explained something to the first officer.

Meanwhile he was talking to someone on his mobile and very quickly a snr officer appeared, quickly took the 2 books and came to my wheelchair, and said a very polite "good morning sir" in excellent English and he signalled for the passport guy to come over. 

Very quickly he mentioned " You can re-enter under the PR re-entry date extension" and continued "give us 1 minute to get a code number" and was dialing his phone. Then he said "do you have a family and home in Thailand", I responded yes my Thai family are in Chiang Mai.

By this stage he had given his phone to the passport desk officer and it rang and the guy wrote some numbers. A minute later they handed me the 2 books all endorsed.

Then snr guy said "I hope you can get to CM and your family tomorrow", then he took the arm of the young wheelchair assistant, looked at his very pleasently and said politely (in Thai) take care of the farang carefully.

A very pleasant experience. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It’s long been suspected that the difficult Immi officers (the dragon in this case) always wants ’something else’ is not quite satisfied with what you produced in years before. 

The "funny" thing is, I went to the IO in Jomtien and got a checklist from the family desk a few weeks before I was going to file, then when I 1st filed and came with my wife and she said my photos were "wrong", I pulled out the checklist they gave me and pointed out "it doesn't say one photo per each A4 paper on the checklist", the lady then pulls out someone's else's application and shows me their photos/papers. 

Mai pen rai, I won't let some bitter person ruin my day, I simply came back a day or two later. 

Hint never wait till the last day to file.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, thailandbeachisland said:

yes it's so complicated to have different sets of photos...

it's a lot more efficient to ask on a forum where people know nothing and are always wrong...

It is not that they know nothing, they have all been subjected to different requirements by petty, pedantic officials who are unable to be consistent and take great glee in proving their value, by sending annoying foreigners on another wild goose chase. 

Interesting about the waist up photos.

I don't believe the bedroom photo is required anymore. We didn't bring one. The big run around this year was the PP copies. Last year I did two on a page (open book), made us go and do one a page. This year I did one a page, they wanted two a page (open book). Last year did 4 to a page of the home photos. This year had to cut them out and paste them two to a page, one top left, second bottom right. The good news is that getting an appointment worked like a charm. Got there and was put in the front of the line with many a confused look coming from behind.

5 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

Interesting about the waist up photos.

I don't believe the bedroom photo is required anymore. We didn't bring one. The big run around this year was the PP copies. Last year I did two on a page (open book), made us go and do one a page. This year I did one a page, they wanted two a page (open book). Last year did 4 to a page of the home photos. This year had to cut them out and paste them two to a page, one top left, second bottom right. The good news is that getting an appointment worked like a charm. Got there and was put in the front of the line with many a confused look coming from behind.

Well we did one on the bed ,the wife was holding the dog as well,we always givea big smile in that pic.