How does Thai public healthcare work?

Kalorymetr

Hey,

So recently I got attacked by a dog on an island of Ko Phayam in Ranong province(I recommend to check it out). They only have small gov clinic, so I went there and received my shots and got the wound cleaned. They charged me only for the vaccines, which was 500b in total. 

Now here is the weird thing. I work and pay taxes here, so I have the social security card, which I wanted to use to you know, have some of those tax money back as I still have to pay premium in the parks etc. They refused me and asked to pay in cash. I didn't argue, I just assumed it was because of the remote nature of the island.

I went for second shot to a prive hospital, which was covered by my insurance and third shot was done in Ko Phangan public hospital. The bill was little bit over 1k and they once again refused to take my social security card.

What's the deal here? Why do I even contribute towards public healthcare system if I cannot use it?

Don't get me wrong, 99% of the time I go to private hospitals anyways, I just want to understand how it works.

Edited by Kalorymetr

1 hour ago, Kalorymetr said:

Now here is the weird thing. I work and pay taxes here, so I have the social security card, which I wanted to use to you know, have some of those tax money back as I still have to pay premium in the parks etc. They refused me and asked to pay in cash. I didn't argue, I just assumed it was because of the remote nature of the island.

Social card is only good at your registered hospital.

• Thanks 1

yes, free aat registered hospital, yet dog bites and vaxes should be classified as emergency if you can't travel in a reasonable time to your hospital.

also possibly you still need to pay for vax (and any medication), but not for cleaning wounds, even at registered hospital. Things are different here, than in the west, where everything is covered by large taxes. 

When I went to a private hospital for rabies shots they charged some 350b for vial itself, but added nursing fees, hospital fees - some another 200-300b.

Free treatment at your registered hospital, free treatment at any hospital in case of an emergency.

The question is now of course: What's the definition of an emergency?

You said they only charged you for the vaccines, so maybe they treat the cleaning and dressing of the wounds as an emergency, but not the vaccines.

39 minutes ago, connda said:

500 THB?  Seriously.  ????  <head shake>

Yeah, I am in the highest tax bracket, I think I contributed my part already. If wish you can transfer it to me. There is so little benefit to paying taxes here as an expat, the one time I thought it would have worked it hadn't

Btw, the total bill for whole course of 6 vaccines and HRIG will be over 10k.

Edited by Kalorymetr

33 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Free treatment at your registered hospital, free treatment at any hospital in case of an emergency.

The question is now of course: What's the definition of an emergency?

You said they only charged you for the vaccines, so maybe they treat the cleaning and dressing of the wounds as an emergency, but not the vaccines.

The vaccine was certainly an emergency as the series has to eb started at once.

OP should contact his SS office and explain the situation (ideally should have done so while still at the clinic and then have them talk to the clinic) - there is a way a government facility can claim reimbursement under SS for emergency care to someone registered at a different hospital but it does entail some paperwork.  I am doubtful there is any way after the fact to get refunded, but might have been able to avoid payment had he called SS first.

BTW your SS benefit is not paid through taxes. It is a separate specific deduction to your paycheck.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Social card is only good at your registered hospital.

I have an in-law working for me - he hurt himself and the emergency room visit was quite inexpensive as was mine when stung by a scorpion.

However, the after visits for him were expensive because his home province is Buriram... 

34 minutes ago, Kalorymetr said:

Yeah, I am in the highest tax bracket, I think I contributed my part already. If wish you can transfer it to me. There is so little benefit to paying taxes here as an expat, the one time I thought it would have worked it hadn't

Btw, the total bill for whole course of 6 vaccines and HRIG will be over 10k.

I only needed 3 doses when bitten by a dog,  think I paid around 100. Baht. And yes, I have the Thai medical that my wife has. I usually pay 30 baht. For any treatment  including medicines. 

11 minutes ago, thaitom said:

I only needed 3 doses when bitten by a dog,  think I paid around 100. Baht. And yes, I have the Thai medical that my wife has. I usually pay 30 baht. For any treatment  including medicines. 

Perhaps you had history of previous vaccinations or the dog was confirmed to be rabies free, if not you were treated improperly.