Udon Thani To Phuket, No More Direct Flights

4MyEgo

I might be a little behind the 8 ball, but I just booked my international leg and am working backwards, e.g. when I went to book my domestic leg, i.e. Udon to Phuket direct as I used to do pre-pandemic, I couldn't book the direct leg of the flight.

I have to change over at Swampy, ok, I get it, might have to do with not enough flying direct to Phuket to cover the fuel costs etc, so does one wait in the hope that there will be direct flights down the track.

I have a few months still, i.e. after July, so do I wait, or do I bite the bullet and pay 25% more than what I used to pay and change flights to get to Phuket, it's not the increase that irks me, I understand everything is on the up, but it's the changing at Swampy and waiting for 2 hours, not to mention the 8 suitcase that one has to cart around, as there are 4 of us, 2 little ones travelling.

Anyone heard anything like after hopefully 1 July when they fully open up the country as stated previously on many occasions, that they then might put the direct flights back on, because we also have to return the same way.  

Edited by 4MyEgo

10 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Anyone heard anything like after hopefully 1 July when they fully open up the country as stated previously on many occasions, that they then might put the direct flights back on, because we also have to return the same way.

Opening up the country is no guarantee for flights to resume to a pre-pandemic state.

I am currently trying to book an international flight for September, trying to use up the 'Cash' that an airline I booked with in 2020 is still holding, but, guess what, flights to that international destination are only offered till the end of May!

I am trying to figure out a way, and so should you, as a number of direct flights might not come back anytime soon.

• Thanks 1

Book on skyscanner.net, domestic flights are cheaper than booking with theairlines! Dont use the Thai skyscanner though as more expensive. Also if you fly with Thai Airways/Thaismile your luggage will go straight through to Phuket. Not sure about Vietjet but probably the same. For some reason, booking a Thaismile flight is cheaper with Thai Airways (on Skyscanner, not Thai Airways) than with Thaismile.

Why are you flying home from Phuket? I arrived at Phuket for the sandbox but booked the return leg from Swampy. That was with Emirates. Cant you change your return flight to one from Swampy?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mackayae said:

I believe Vietjet and Airasia have flights to Phuket.

When I went to book, it shows that they stop at Bangkok where you have to change flights to continue on to Phuket.

1 minute ago, SunsetT said:

Why are you flying home from Phuket? I arrived at Phuket for the sandbox but booked the return leg from Swampy. That was with Emirates. Cant you change your return flight to one from Swampy?

I have always flown from Phuket as the time the flight leaves and arrives suites me, that said, it is also always a direct flight, whereas the Bangkok flights usually have a stop over on the way back.

I also stay overnight in Phuket near the airport to reduce the travel time in total from my front door, i.e. 17 hours to 9 hours if that makes sense, in other words, I arrive fresh as opposed to exhausted, same with the return leg.

23 minutes ago, mackayae said:

Maybe they don't have daily service.

Screenshot 2022-04-22 at 14-40-28 Select Cheap Flights Tickets AirAsia.png

Maybe because my dates are to far in advance, that might be the reason they are not showing any flights.

Will look into it further, at least now I know they are having direct flights in the current month.

Just checked, there prices/flights only go as far as end July, so guess will have to keep an eye on things as the months go by, cheers.

Edited by 4MyEgo

On 4/23/2022 at 1:36 AM, treetops said:

Thai Vietjet have non-stop flights that are bookable now until out past July.

image.png.d2e85eb8d6f8ecbff994a4e38b577614.png

Thx will check it out.

I did look further into AirAsia and I can get a single fare to Phuket direct, but the return journey isn't open yet.

Will look at trying to book a single journey back from there, if that doesn't work, can wait it out or maybe Vietjet has a return flight.

Either way will check em both out, thx.

12 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

Ubon have direct flights to Phuket now. 

I managed to get the forward journey on a direct flight, but the return journey on a direct flight is not available yet, so will wait a couple more weeks and then have another look and if available then, will book it, or keep looking until it becomes available.

I thought they would allow bookings up to a year in advance, like international flights, but they only go as far as 6 months from what I can see.

The first leg of the journey is a long ways away, i.e. 6 months, but I want to beat the rush, so I am half way there now having booked the first leg of our journey, just got to get the return direct flight now, which eventually come available, especially now that they are opening up from 1 May.

Edited by 4MyEgo

On 4/22/2022 at 2:45 PM, mackayae said:

Maybe they don't have daily service.

Indeed. AirAsia 2 to 3 flights per week. One arriving 20:15 (8:15 PM)!

VietJet shows a daily flight.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Direct return flights from Phuket just done for October. It would appear now that Thailand is opening 1 May, the airlines are opening up their seat reservations further down the track, i.e. October. 

The above said, I couldn't book a direct return flight from Phuket to Udon Thani a week ago, only the forward journey.

What started out was that I could only get a single direct forward journey, i.e. no return direct return journey available to book for October, that has now been booked a week later.

Thanks for all who put in their information.

All good now, Mods can close off when ready.

Edited by 4MyEgo