Weather forecast app

I have Accuweather pre-installed on my smartphone and am less than happy with it. Now we all know that forecasting the weather is hit and miss but 2 days ago Accuweather was telling me that it was going to pee down all day yesterday in Pattaya. I don't think we got one drop of rain! Does anyone have an app which they use and can recommend for me as an alternative to Accuweather?

• Haha 1

I have the latest Iphone and it has a weather app preinstalled and set to the immediate area I am located.

A few days ago we had thunderous rain and the app indicated sunshine as the heavy rain was falling. The following day it indicated that there had been no rain for the previous 24 hours!

You don't want that app!

The latest Iphone is capable of making and receiving calls though - most of the time.

• Haha 1

At this moment in weather time most apps which rely on computer predictions are wildly inaccurate. Most reliable indicator of imminent sustained heavy rain I have ever found has been sudden mass relocation of ant nests from ground level sites ! As yet have not observed.

Weather forecasting is a very imprecise art the world over. The forecasts are more often than not wrong in the South East of Australia , and even in the US with all of their technology, they can’t predict the weather accurately - even in the landlocked States.  
I would have gone out of business if I was so consistently wrong in my job!

however.. in Thailand I have been quite impressed with the Weather - weather forecast and Weather forecast - radar  Apps.  Even their 7 day forecast is reasonably accurate for my area.

the information provided is pretty basic.

I installed a rain gauge - so if you call me, I can tell you yesterdays weather pretty accurately.

6E87A06B-EC6C-4B2F-BFE8-B2EE5CB010CE.png

1 hour ago, G Rex said:

Weather forecasting is a very imprecise art the world over. The forecasts are more often than not wrong in the South East of Australia , and even in the US with all of their technology, they can’t predict the weather accurately - even in the landlocked States.  
I would have gone out of business if I was so consistently wrong in my job!

however.. in Thailand I have been quite impressed with the Weather - weather forecast and Weather forecast - radar  Apps.  Even their 7 day forecast is reasonably accurate for my area.

the information provided is pretty basic.

I installed a rain gauge - so if you call me, I can tell you yesterdays weather pretty accurately.

6E87A06B-EC6C-4B2F-BFE8-B2EE5CB010CE.png

Maybe you should move to Western Australia I had not many wrong forcasts I guess about 90 to 95 % are correct

8 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Maybe you should move to Western Australia I had not many wrong forcasts I guess about 90 to 95 % are correct

I live in Thailand  - escaped from the Nanny States years ago

sorry , but a more accurate weather forecast is hardly a great reason to entice one to McGowan territory! LMFAO .     

10 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Where I lived in the States, the app would tell you that the rain will stop or start in 10 minutes. I also lived on the Olympic Peninsula, where it rained 230 in. a year, you didn't need an app to know if it was going to rain or not.

On 4/25/2022 at 8:17 AM, bunnydrops said:

Where I live it can be pouring down in buckets 2km away and not a drop here, so the app is right whether it says rain or sunny in my area.

That is one of the reasons why weather applications in Thailand are often inaccurate in any location.

For example in the U.K. the weather is never as localised as it often is in Thailand.

The other significant reason is that the data points available in Thailand are far fewer than would be needed for a more accurate prediction 

• Like 1

I do not use phone apps. (wifi off, location off etc etc)

On my computers I use         https://www.windguru.cz/30397

(Location is Samui)

I find this one the most reliable weather forecast for the next 48 hours. The further forward you look, the less reliable.

As others here have said - weather patterns in Thailand are very 'local'. Windguru will tell me that there is rain on the island, but it may not be at my place.

There is a phone app for windguru.

• 2 weeks later...

Weather apps on a mobile can be (are?) hit and miss.  For years, we used Transparent Clock & Weather which we found reasonable at forecasts here.  But VERY few app providers actually produce their own weather data, and that's where problems begin to crop up.  Transparent used to have data from several good providers, but lately cut back to Foreca and Met.no.  I understand Met is supposed to be very good (in Northern Europe) while Foreca is supposed to be great in North America.   Both really suck in providing forecasts in SE Asia.   The Weatherunderground is not very reliable here, nor is The Weather Channel, which is supposed to be great in US and Canada. 

The app maker has to pay for the data, so they tend to restrict their cost exposure as much as possible.  But there is at least one exception - Today Weather.

We have used the Today Weather app for the past several years.  Today Weather provides the option of selecting from a list of over 20 weather data providers so you can test as many out to find the most accurate one for your area.   May be worth a try if only to checkout the reliability of various weather providers. 

• Like 1

On 4/26/2022 at 12:12 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

That is one of the reasons why weather applications in Thailand are often inaccurate in any location.

For example in the U.K. the weather is never as localised as it often is in Thailand.

The other significant reason is that the data points available in Thailand are far fewer than would be needed for a more accurate prediction 

Well, I use Windy.com in Kan and have a data point which is quite accurate. Try it and find your own data point.

Win ????