Insurance for post May TP entry

Can anyone recommend an insurance that will satisfy the new May 1st $10k Thai Pass requirements?

Since I am on a Non-O extension, I will need a full 11 month of insurance to enter.

There are a few recommendations on the TP site, but for $20k coverage.

Any better alternatives out there?

https://tqm-app.com/static/thailandpass/index.html

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, internationalism said:

fwd has from 650b per month or from 4200b per year (multiple entry). That is still $20k. 

Thanks. 

Wasn't aware that a year coverage ME was available. 

That will certainly suit some folk.

Thinking the 650b 30 day cover will hardly change if at all.

1 hour ago, internationalism said:

fwd has from 650b per month or from 4200b per year (multiple entry). That is still $20k. 

The new once, for $10k, would appear sometimes in May 

That is currently 700K THB, about $20.6K, they may well reduce the cover but I doubt the premium will go down.

Has anyone actually used the 650 baht option, I find it difficult to see how they would issue the TP with only 14 days insurance and no PCR test.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You only need 30 days of covid 19 insurance.

You do not have to have it for the length of your extension.

Thank you for that information Joe as I to have an extension that expires on March 1st 2023 and was also of the opinion that if I ventured outside Thailand on my return to Thailand that I would need insurance until my extension expirey date. 

54 minutes ago, sandyf said:

That is currently 700K THB, about $20.6K, they may well reduce the cover but I doubt the premium will go down.

Has anyone actually used the 650 baht option, I find it difficult to see how they would issue the TP with only 14 days insurance and no PCR test.

I reckon it is the same as policy with deductible.  In this case, insurance cover starts the day you enter to meet TP requirement.  However, in fine print, if you are tested positive in the first 14 days, you pay for the expenses.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

I reckon it is the same as policy with deductible.  In this case, insurance cover starts the day you enter to meet TP requirement.  However, in fine print, if you are tested positive in the first 14 days, you pay for the expenses.

" you pay for the expenses." - doesn't that defeat the whole object of having insurance.

ie. not covered.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

" you pay for the expenses." - doesn't that defeat the whole object of having insurance.

ie. not covered.

What about insurance policy with "deductible"?  Or not covered when "asymptomatic"?

Edited by Kopitiam
Additonal info
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, sandyf said:

ie. not covered.

Yes, but you can get round that obstacle by having a PCR test which kicks in the insurance cover immediately if Covid is not detected.  It's the insurance company covering their axes so that someone who suspects they have covid doesn't take out insurance and then immediately claim, as was happening.

Edited by treetops

3 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

What about insurance policy with "deductible"?

It is not quite the same, deductible would be a fixed amount and a relatively small percentage of the potential liability.

With a covid policy there would be no benefit available during the waiting period and total cost is unpredictable,  the insurance is just an offset against a potentially high cost and hopefully cover in the majority of cases. 

11 minutes ago, treetops said:

Yes, but you can get round that obstacle by having a PCR test which kicks in the insurance cover immediately if Covid is not detected.  It's the insurance company covering their axes so that someone who suspects they have covid doesn't take out insurance and then immediately claim, as was happening.

You should read what gets posted, this is what i said.

" I find it difficult to see how they would issue the TP with only 14 days insurance and no PCR test."

What I asked was had anyone been successful using the 650 baht option?

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

" I find it difficult to see how they would issue the TP with only 14 days insurance and no PCR test."

Hundreds of our clients have successfully used the 500-650 THB options to enter Thailand.

The good thing about using FWD/WorldTrips, or any of the popular insurers is the staff which does the actual Thailand Pass approvals is familiar with the document formats, and we rarely see any rejections.

Edited by ThaiVisaCentre
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I quoted and was responding to:

ie. not covered.

which you wrote above.

If I was responding to:

"Has anyone actually used the 650 baht option, I find it difficult to see how they would issue the TP with only 14 days insurance and no PCR test."

which you also wrote I would have quoted it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aussiexpat said:

I thought most of the Thai pass approvals are supposed to be automated...either way marketing an insurance policy that is only valid for 16 days of the 30 days policy is ridiculous. Proves its just a fee to enter rather than a meaningful policy

Note: if having to do a PCR within 72 hours to activate the policy, that makes the 650 baht insurance policy about 3,650 baht after you pay for the PCR test

Back in 2021 they did have fully automated approvals, and we did see approvals which happened within a few minutes.

They changed the process a few months ago, and since then we have never seen a "fully automated" approval.

Our team has assisted with thousands of cases in the last few months and the approval time ranges from 3 hours to days.

Clients have come to us after getting a rejection based on insurance documents, as well as vaccination documents so there is a manual review happening at the moment. It is hard to know what will happen after April 29th but we will have to wait, and see.

Edited by ThaiVisaCentre
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

They highlight that the insurance should start on the entry date, but is it OK to arrive 2-3 days into the 30 days?

I don't think it would be a problem if your arrived a a couple of days late after the insurance was to start.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ThaiVisaCentre said:

Hundreds of our clients have successfully used the 500-650 THB options to enter Thailand.

The good thing about using FWD/WorldTrips, or any of the popular insurers is the staff which does the actual Thailand Pass approvals is familiar with the document formats, and we rarely see any rejections.

How many of the hundreds did it without the PCR test which would mean only 14 days actual insurance cover for covid.

A lack of PCR would bring into doubt a requirement for 30 days suggesting it is more to do with what the certificate looks like rather than what it says.

I am all for taking an easy route, last time I used an airline certificate, but also want to be fairly sure it is not going to backfire.

23 hours ago, treetops said:

I quoted and was responding to:

ie. not covered.

which you wrote above.

If I was responding to:

"Has anyone actually used the 650 baht option, I find it difficult to see how they would issue the TP with only 14 days insurance and no PCR test."

which you also wrote I would have quoted it.

One of the biggest problems on this forum is people responding to replies and leaving the context behind.

The "obstacle " you tried to address was of your own creation.

41 minutes ago, sandyf said:

How many of the hundreds did it without the PCR test which would mean only 14 days actual insurance cover for covid.

A lack of PCR would bring into doubt a requirement for 30 days suggesting it is more to do with what the certificate looks like rather than what it says.

I am all for taking an easy route, last time I used an airline certificate, but also want to be fairly sure it is not going to backfire.

Well, the actual rules are that the policy covers the duration of your stay/visa which you are stamped in on.

But this has not been enforced, and many have successfully used a 30 day policy instead.

Most did the pre-departure RT-PCR as it made sense at the time, and was required for some time. But now with the lack of testing on arrival we don't expect many travelers to do a pre-departure RT-PCR unless required.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

One of the biggest problems on this forum is people responding to replies and leaving the context behind.

The "obstacle " you tried to address was of your own creation.

There is no obstacle if you read, understand  and respond to posts.  Try it sometime.

15 hours ago, ThaiVisaCentre said:

Most did the pre-departure RT-PCR as it made sense at the time, and was required for some time. But now with the lack of testing on arrival we don't expect many travelers to do a pre-departure RT-PCR unless required.

So what you are saying is the 650 baht option without a PCR has not really been tested to any extent.

14 hours ago, treetops said:

There is no obstacle if you read, understand  and respond to posts.  Try it sometime.

Your words, your obstacle, but feel free to carry on with the deflections.

"Yes, but you can get round that obstacle by having a PCR test which kicks in the insurance cover immediately if Covid is not detected."

2 minutes ago, sandyf said:

So what you are saying is the 650 baht option without a PCR has not really been tested to any extent.

Do you really think anyone cares about covid insurance and what it covers.

I suggest that most regard it as similar to an "arrival tax" 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Do you really think anyone cares about covid insurance and what it covers.

I suggest that most regard it as similar to an "arrival tax" 

Must have missed something, are you saying the TP is available without insurance.

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Of course not. It's a requirement for TP. 

I'm saying that the insurance is a throw away nonsense. 

So you now say it is a requirement for TP without any specific requirement.

So do I take it no one has ever had a TP rejected because of insurance.

It may come as a surprise to you but I am certainly not going to take your word for it that they will not read what it says on the certificate.

If you had entered the country on a 30 day certificate that had no cover for the first 14 days you may have some credibility.

• Haha 1