Electrical problem

thaiflyer1

Yamaha Mio...................no electrics whatsoever

I know the battery is ok.................checked fuse thats ok, replaced it just incase...............bought new starter relay.............took out the ignition barrel and shorted the "plug" to make sure the barrel contacts were not faulty

I  could load it onto the pickup and take it in to get sorted but just wondering if anyone had any ideas?

Also will not kickstart.....................could it be the killswitch at the kickstand?..............i.e switch is faulty so bike assumes stand is down and wont start..............and if the switch is at fault would the horn still not work?

Thought i would ask here before taking it in.

Edited by thaiflyer1

19 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Well with electric problem like that the only way is checking through everything with a multimeter for live wires,  ground connections and switches. 

12v bulb tester is just as good. 

Thanks for the reply...................ruled out the kick stand sensor as i have an aerox and click and both the lights and horn work with the stand down....................Mio nothing works

Think i/ll just load it onto the pickup...................too hot to work on it

cheers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, thaiflyer1 said:

Thanks for the reply...................ruled out the kick stand sensor as i have an aerox and click and both the lights and horn work with the stand down....................Mio nothing works

Think i/ll just load it onto the pickup...................too hot to work on it

cheers.

Yeah I would like an air-con garage. ????

Go through through wiring carefully starting at the battery. Do not take it to a repair shop. The average Thai mechanic's immediate reaction is to start replacing components starting with the most expensive. By the time he has found the fault he may have replaced half the bike and run up a huge bill of unnecessary work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Maybole said:

The average Thai mechanic's immediate reaction is to start replacing components starting with the most expensive.

Never come across a Thai mechanic like that, also I wouldn't think OP who seems to know a bit about scoots will let anyone change parts that are not at fault.

• Like 1

A bit late but you may have a short (or a close short) somewhere, I've seen this in cars, normally everything shows it has power on multimeter, but when trying to draw amp there's nothing, need to keep the multimeter on the point and see when you press the starter it drops or not, that means the live and ground wires are very close to each other somewhere,  but not touching (maybe a damaged cable close to bodywork etc...) - these are hard to find....! 

Edited by Agusts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Agusts said:

A bit late but you may have a short (or a close short) somewhere, I've seen this in cars, normally everything shows it has power on multimeter, but when trying to draw amp there's nothing, need to keep the multimeter on the point and see when you press the starter it drops or not, that means the live and ground wires are very close to each other somewhere,  but not touching (maybe a damaged cable close to bodywork etc...) - these are hard to find....! 

Patience Is a virtue. ????????

Update.............

sorted it myself....................i ordered a new ignition barrel from Lazada it was only 240 baht so probably not a genuine part but just wanted to give it a go........and voila started straight up.

Which the beggars the question why didnt shorting the ignition before work?.............photo below of the piece of wire in stuck in the connector block which is supposed to bypass the ignition barrel but obviously not......or i did something wrong

unnamedddd.jpg

Anyway all's well

• Like 1