April Expat migration has started leaving places a lot quieter

webfact

2 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

Really could have fooled me. I was stuck in traffic in Pattaya on Tuesday morning. By traffic I mean Bangkok style traffic and it wasn't on only one street. Believe what you will, but I saw what it really is like.

I remember about 5 years ago being stuck in Bangkok-style traffic in Pattaya.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Tripled prices and a more expensive THB will not help the tourist industry

Google shows a rate today of 34.45  THB to USD.       What time frame are you using to say the baht is more expensive?

As far as hotels go, when I check just for the fun of it at some hotels I like, the prices seem much lower than what I paid in the past.

Your mileage varies a lot, I believe, from mine.

29 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

The Middle Easterners prefer Europe to SEA in the hot and humid season 

Just read in "Bangkok Post" about Thailand trying to attract Saudis as tourists. Apparently, Saudis come to Thailand for, get this, 'the rain' ... ???????? - So, they dance in the rain, or what?

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Haha 1

Guest truthman

I read somewhere that the number of retirement visas (non-o immigrant visa for retirement purposes for the pedants) had declined from 85,000 in 2018 to 35,000 in 2021, so quite a few have left. Actually, I was surprised at how few retirement visas have been issued. Looks like the change in rules has had a big effect.

Oh, noooo!... It's another Literature Nobel prize-worthy essay from that self-appointed mouthpiece for Pattaya's high-class expat community, Michael Bridge. Always a great read... for falling asleep. Is he actually getting paid for that drivel?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lazygourmet said:

I am off in two weeks for six months.

First time in 30 years that I am going to spend such a long time outside SE-Asia.

But time is ripe to rediscover Western Europe before the great replacement and total chaos.

I am going to do the same. Leaving end of May.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eff1n2ret said:

Given the waiting lists for NHS treatment, he could be gone for years.

Booked Doctors appointment on the Tuesday for friday, flew on the wednesday. Weeks later got small op. Now waiting results.  Probably would be 2-3 years if waiting a hip op though

47 minutes ago, truthman said:

I read somewhere that the number of retirement visas (non-o immigrant visa for retirement purposes for the pedants) had declined from 85,000 in 2018 to 35,000 in 2021, so quite a few have left. Actually, I was surprised at how few retirement visas have been issued. Looks like the change in rules has had a big effect.

Retirement Visas are only issued by Thai Embassies and Consulates outside Thailand, (ignore the Non-Imm-O conversion of entry for now), so I am unsure of what you mean... Do you include Retirement extensions too? (Yes pedantic, but I actually am interested in the numbers).

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, sungod said:

How many expats will you find in a tourist bus? In fact there have been no tourist buses for around 2 years. nothing to do with an expat migration.

No traffic jams? LMAO Jammed at weekends with Thais.......................

saw 4 busses yesterday pattaya south 1 Chinese and 3 packed with what looked like indians ...or of sorts   

2 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

saw 4 busses yesterday pattaya south 1 Chinese and 3 packed with what looked like indians ...or of sorts   

I shall have to get the  Coach Parking signs out and direct them to the end of Bali Hai Pier!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, In Full Agreement said:

Google shows a rate today of 34.45  THB to USD.       What time frame are you using to say the baht is more expensive?

As far as hotels go, when I check just for the fun of it at some hotels I like, the prices seem much lower than what I paid in the past.

If I change 100 euro to THB I will get about 3.627 THB as once the THB is around 39 THB I wil get 3.900 THB  So with the expensive Baht I loose 300 THB on 100 euro...If I book a hotel for 9.000 THB I pay now 248 euro as if the THB is better I would pay 230 THB.... difference is 18 euro.. I don't know but in my opinion it is now more expensive 

7 hours ago, vandeventer said:

If people are leaving their countries to get away from the Russia-Ukraine war than they are not real tourist. They are just looking for a place that's cheap ,safe, warm to hot, until the Putin's war is over. 

There seems to be a good number of Ukrainians, waiting for the war to be over, at the Turkish coast.

14 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

If I change 100 euro to THB I will get about 3.627 THB as once the THB is around 39 THB I wil get 3.900 THB  So with the expensive Baht I loose 300 THB on 100 euro (...)

The euro is toast. The only currency in high demand is the U.S. dollar at the moment. Several years ago the euro bought 44 baht, but these times are over...

12 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

If I change 100 euro to THB I will get about 3.627 THB as once the THB is around 39 THB I wil get 3.900 THB  So with the expensive Baht I loose 300 THB on 100 euro...If I book a hotel for 9.000 THB I pay now 248 euro as if the THB is better I would pay 230 THB.... difference is 18 euro.. I don't know but in my opinion it is now more expensive 

Yes the euro has gotten weaker against the baht virtually week on week since October 1st 2021. The euro will fall further IMHO because it printed so much euro during covid ergo, if I am right, Thailand is going to become even more expensive for euro earners in short/med term.

7 hours ago, lazygourmet said:

I am off in two weeks for six months.

First time in 30 years that I am going to spend such a long time outside SE-Asia.

But time is ripe to rediscover Western Europe before the great replacement and total chaos.

good point, war could be on the horizon?

2 hours ago, In Full Agreement said:

Exactly, but to the born whingers facts mean very little.

Hotels took a bit of a hit a few years back when they introduced the minimum wage and there was another rise to that not long ago. People tend to lose perspective between prices in large business as opposed to small. For example street food has hardly moved in 20 years, but they are not subject to the minimum wage.

Five years ago I went to my nephews wedding in north east Scotland and we were £84 a night for B&B, couldn't check in till 5pm. A couple of years ago I stayed in the Dusit in Pattaya for less than that.

It cannot be denied that the majority of hotels in Thailand are excellent value for money.