COVID-19 - April 28: Thailand reports 14,437 new coronavirus cases, 18,509 recoveries, 127 deaths

webfact

COV28.jpg

file photo

Thailand on Thursday (April 28) reported 14,437 new COVID-19 cases, 18,509 recoveries and 127 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

Thursday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 4,224,008 with 28,271 deaths.

The news comes as no provinces have met criteria for the declaration of COVID-19 as an endemic disease, according to the Department of Disease Control.

Dr Chakkarat Pittayawong-anont, director of the department's epidemiology division, said no provinces were likely to fulfill criteria for the redefinition of COVID-19 as an endemic disease in the near future.

According to primary criteria, new COVID-19 cases must not rise, more than 60% of local people have received their third COVID-19 vaccine shot, more than 80% of people aged 60 years and over must have receive their first jab and more. than 60% of the senior citizens must have got their booster shot.**

**TNA contributed to this report

Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update28APR).png

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-04-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

29 minutes ago, webfact said:

According to primary criteria, new COVID-19 cases must not rise, more than 60% of local people have received their third COVID-19 vaccine shot, more than 80% of people aged 60 years and over must have receive their first jab and more. than 60% of the senior citizens must have got their booster shot.**

If this is the criteria to make Covid Endemic in Thailand, well then there is a long way to go with the booster vaccinations.  As I see it they are far off the mark, and at the rate they are going then maybe by 2023 they will meet their criteria, unless it gets changed like they changed the criteria to meet 100 million vaccinations last year.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, webfact said:

Dr Chakkarat Pittayawong-anont, director of the department's epidemiology division, said no provinces were likely to fulfill criteria for the redefinition of COVID-19 as an endemic disease in the near future.

As of yesterday, in terms of achieving the government's endemic status goals:

--only 36.8% of the general population had received their third shot booster dose -- far from the 60% goal.

--84.1% of senior citizens age 60 and above had received their first vaccine dose -- meaning Thailand as a whole has met that 80% goal.

--only 40.6% of senior citizens age 60 and above had received their third shot booster dose -- far from the 60% goal.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Phuket marks 79 new COVID cases, no deaths

PHUKET: The latest Phuket Provincial Public Health Office (PPHO) daily COVID situation report has marked 79 new local infections confirmed across the island yesterday (Apr 27), bringing the total number of infections recorded since Jan 1 to 51,772.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-marks-79-new-covid-cases-no-deaths-83957.php

Image: PPHO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chonburi announces 499 new and confirmed cases of Covid-19 and nine new deaths

Four people were listed as being in serious condition in Chonburi currently, either on a ventilator or with pneumonia. Two of them were not vaccinated. According to the Chonburi Department of Public Health, the vast majority of recent cases are mild or asymptomatic.

The nine new deaths were aged 40, 52, 58, 62, 67, 87, 88, 90, and 91 with severe personal health problems and pre-existing conditions. Five of them were not vaccinated.

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/04/28/chonburi-announces-499-new-and-confirmed-cases-of-covid-19-and-nine-new-deaths/

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

As of yesterday, in terms of achieving the government's endemic status goals:

--only 36.8% of the general population had received their third shot booster dose -- far from the 60% goal.

--84.1% of senior citizens age 60 and above had received their first vaccine dose -- meaning Thailand as a whole has met that 80% goal.

--only 40.6% of senior citizens age 60 and above had received their third shot booster dose -- far from the 60% goal.

It's all about vaccinating the risk groups- everything else is fluff as I've always said.

Even then a country has to accept an uncomfortable death rate- similar to a bad flu season in northern Europe.

Thailand falls short on both counts, hence, the reluctance to open up. It's understandable of course, but most countries understand that Omicron will have its way sooner or later, and later means disruption and economic woes.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Tourism Recovery Uneven Across SE Asia

A few countries continue to apply stricter entry restrictions, such as Thailand, a leading tourism destination in the region, before the pandemic. In Thailand, international visitors are still subjected to bureaucratic rules. ForwardKeys reports that flight bookings to Singapore and the Philippines are 72% and 65% of 2019 levels, respectively, while Thailand bookings are only 24% of what they were in 2019. 

https://balidiscovery.com/tourism-recovery-uneven-across-se-asia/

Travelers from Europe want to put the age of lockdowns and restrictions firmly in the past. They are not going to want to fly straight back in to them.  Who wants a bad holiday- of all things?

• Thanks 1

i wonder if the govt can 'adjust' their booster criteria of 60% to include people who have had two shots plus a covid infection.  i don't know a large number of people in thailand but within the group i do know, nearly everyone has had the virus (confirmed with a test).  the majority of that group had two shots, no booster.   seems reasonable to me and the govt likely has that data, who got vaccinated and who got infected.

Edited by buick
edit: i'm talking about thais here in terms of the vax and infection data
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

No, Covid death counts shouldn't be as variable as a lottery. But they shouldn't be as consistent as a metronome, either.  

Another question that should be asked is : "Are these deaths from Covid, or with Covid?"

If it is with Covid, as in most countries, then it's going to be very difficult to reduce those numbers, because the Covid virus is not going to disappear and people will continue to get infected.

You could equally ask: "How many people die every day from AIDS in Thailand?" From AIDS, not so many. With AIDS, every day will be more than 1% of deaths, since that is the proportion of Thai people who carry AIDS, according to the United Nations UNAIDS data.

53 minutes ago, Eleftheros said:

Another question that should be asked is : "Are these deaths from Covid, or with Covid?"

If it is with Covid, as in most countries, then it's going to be very difficult to reduce those numbers, because the Covid virus is not going to disappear and people will continue to get infected.

You could equally ask: "How many people die every day from AIDS in Thailand?" From AIDS, not so many. With AIDS, every day will be more than 1% of deaths, since that is the proportion of Thai people who carry AIDS, according to the United Nations UNAIDS data.

I think it is pretty well established now........... two years on......... that when a death is listed as a "Covid Death," Covid caused the death.

Covid infection may have been the initial instigating factor that lead to a breakdown of health............ or......... it may have been the proverbial "straw-that-broke-the-camel's-back" for a person with another serious condition; a condition that may have been tolerable for some indefinable future period of time............ that suddenly became............. 

IN-tolerable. 

But in both cases, it would be correct to say the death was caused BY Covid. The first by direct Cause and Effect; the second by being the proverbial "Straw-that......."

In both cases, had there been no Covid-19 infection........... death would almost certainly not have occurred then

Thus, the questions of whether the Covid Death Numbers include those who merely HAD the virus? ......... That's not really a question any more. 

Covid Death Numbers represent only those whose death is attributable TO Covid-19.......... and NOT those who have merely been exposed to it, but managed to remain effectively unaffected by it. 

Cheers! 

Edited by KanchanaburiGuy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

Seems to me, daily Covid death counts have been remarkably consistent for about 10 days now, falling invariably (almost) between 124 and 129.

This is remarkable when one considers there are a couple of dozen factors that can contribute to it going up or down, rising or falling. And yet it's stayed within a very narrow range. 

The point? 

Too much consistency is just as much a "red flag" as too much variability. 

* Blackjack dealers getting "21" too often?

* The same numbers keep coming up on a Roulette wheel?

* The same 5 or 6 numbers keep coming up in a Lottery?

Over that time frame, Covid deaths should have  fluctuated more than this. The fact that they haven't seems........... suspicious. 

127 - - 28/4/22

(120)

129 - - 23/4/22

124 - - 18/4/22

128 - - 17/4/22

125 - - 16/4/22

No, Covid death counts shouldn't be as variable as a lottery. But they shouldn't be as consistent as a metronome, either.  

Suspicious? To me............ you betcha! 

On the other hand........ 

If I were a betting man..........!

????????????

Cheers! 

Thank you for posting this.  I had been thinking the exact same thing when I saw the 5 days that ranged between 128-129 deaths.  Beyond improbable.  

2 hours ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

But in both cases, it would be correct to say the death was caused BY Covid. The first by direct Cause and Effect; the second by being the proverbial "Straw-that......."

I don't think that notion does justice to the data.

For example, CDC director Rochelle Walensky said recently that 99% of people who died 'of Covid' also suffered from at least one comorbidity, and 75% of those who died had at least 4 comorbidities.

So while they would not perhaps have died if they haven't contracted Covid, they also would not perhaps have died if they had not suffered from comorbidities such as diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, obesity, previous respiratory problems or mental degeneration.

In my estimation, to mark that down as simply "a Covid death" skews not only the Covid figures, but also the figures for the other comorbidities, which could affect public health decisions in future.

Still, that's a matter for the authorities. I have no insight into how Thailand decides what is and what is not a Covid death, but the stability of the daily death numbers is certainly worth keeping an eye on.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eleftheros said:

I don't think that notion does justice to the data.

For example, CDC director Rochelle Walensky said recently that 99% of people who died 'of Covid' also suffered from at least one comorbidity, and 75% of those who died had at least 4 comorbidities.

So while they would not perhaps have died if they haven't contracted Covid, they also would not perhaps have died if they had not suffered from comorbidities such as diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, obesity, previous respiratory problems or mental degeneration.

In my estimation, to mark that down as simply "a Covid death" skews not only the Covid figures, but also the figures for the other comorbidities, which could affect public health decisions in future.

Still, that's a matter for the authorities. I have no insight into how Thailand decides what is and what is not a Covid death, but the stability of the daily death numbers is certainly worth keeping an eye on.

Stop comparing elsewhere to the way Thailand counts their deaths. Do you even live here like the majority who post.  By the way The US CDC does not run Thailand nor the MOPH.  Thailand changed the way they decide if a death is from covid or not a few months back.  They only count a death from Covid as a death and not a death of a person who now has covid and other major medical issues and died from them as a death.   Neither do they count it as a Covid death up to 28 days after one has had covid. 

Edited by ThailandRyan

A couple of posts have been removed as the quoted content has been cut

16) You will not make changes to quoted material from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. This cannot be done in such a manner that it alters the context of the original post.

It is clear from data supplied by the Chonburi Department of Public Health that it records Covid deaths very like they are treated elsewhere in the world, that is, a death of someone infected with Covid, regardless of serious underlying health issues, is marked as a "Covid death". 

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/04/28/chonburi-announces-499-new-and-confirmed-cases-of-covid-19-and-nine-new-deaths/

This may seem like a small point, but I don't think it is - if the distinction is made transparently between deaths where Covid is the primary cause of death, and where Covid is a secondary factor, then everyone - both the public and the health authorities - has a better understanding of how to make people safer from this illness.

And keeping their people safe is the stated aim of governments around the world.

36 minutes ago, Eleftheros said:

It is clear from data supplied by the Chonburi Department of Public Health that it records Covid deaths very like they are treated elsewhere in the world, that is, a death of someone infected with Covid, regardless of serious underlying health issues, is marked as a "Covid death". 

This may seem like a small point, but I don't think it is - if the distinction is made transparently between deaths where Covid is the primary cause of death, and where Covid is a secondary factor, then everyone - both the public and the health authorities - has a better understanding of how to make people safer from this illness.

And keeping their people safe is the stated aim of governments around the world.

Not sure how you find that so clear on how they record deaths that way in Thailand. If I was you I would leave it to the professionals that are well aware of the complexities in recording the causes of a death and if covid was the cause or a contributory cause then that will be mentioned on the death certificate. If not then it would be an incidental case. Unless of course you expect each death certificate to be published.

The UK ONS reports are clear how they report covid deaths with covid as a cause on the death certificate or not as the case maybe.

Thailand has also changed its system back in early March, "Thai government to change how Covid-19 deaths are recorded" and now ensures that covid deaths reported are only those where covid is a cause.

• Like 2

COVID-19 - April 29: Thailand reports 14,053 new coronavirus cases, 16,782 recoveries, 129 deaths

COV29.jpg

file photo

Thailand on Friday (April 29) reported 14,053 new COVID-19 cases, 16,782 recoveries and 129 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

Full story: https://aseannow.com/topic/1258188-covid-19-april-29-thailand-reports-14053-new-coronavirus-cases-16782-recoveries-129-deaths/

//CLOSED//

/Admin