Prayuth under pressure - dozens bent policemen sacked this month for gross indiscipline

webfact

4 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

What is the difference between being sacked and being let go? In my world this is the exact same thing.

It is the difference in consequences. Sacked is fired from the force and that's written down as person being fired. Let go is basically same, but in document it's written that the person has left on his/her own accord. Like forcing someone to quit rather than firing them. That's at least what came up in conversation with one of the lawyers a few years back... hopefully I remembered it correctly.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

How can any PM be expected to accept the blame for the unknown actions of a minister. She had nothing to gain from the rice scheme. Wake up, think for yourself and forget all that "Yellow" <deleted> brainwashing.

I think you're banging your head against a brick wall mate, just ignore the ignoramus, he might go away.

2 hours ago, RobU said:

Bent police officers are being sacked. Isn't that a good thing? I don't understand why he is being attacked. There is a lot of debate on this site about the RTP being corrupt, these sackings are arguably evidence of an attempt to clean it up.

I'm not sure if you're serious or not but you'd better watch the movie...we can argue later.

8 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

The only improvement would come from a root and branch reorganisation. This would entail the establishment of a foreign police-led Independent Commission Against Corruption as they did in Hong Kong prior to 1997, with Government and public support.

But I don’t think the will exists in Thai society to do this, so without external pressure from the UN or donor countries it’s not going to happen. The US probably sees Thailand as a useful buffer against Chinese expansion so will not want to rock the boat.

Sad, but true.

2 hours ago, Flink said:

Well, I'd agree if they had given a list of the ranks of those sacked. My guess is that there won't have been many middle or high ranking officers. (The middle ranks get "let go" so they can keep their pension rights and the higher ranks get ignored). My guess is all, or most, were lower ranks. Here's the problem, why did they do what they did? Mainly because that's what they have seen from their superiors, the "monkey see, monkey do" concept. Sacking these minor figures is just a gaslighting job by the government to convince the feeble minded that they are serious about stamping out corruption. Obviously their not, they can't afford to be because it wouldn't be long before the anti corruption guys would be coming for them. Be honest, if the Anti Corruption Team decided to use the evidence, they have no doubt hidden, that they have on the politicians in power, howe long do you think it would be before the army were back on the streets and those same politicians were back in uniform?

You may have a point. All I go by is what is presented in the news

12 hours ago, pokerface1 said:

The nineteen I can understand but the 6 let go is unclear to me. 

Perhaps they have been released from prison I'm thinking Ferrari Joe and this cohort are slipping out the back door.

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe,
Catch a tiger policeman by the toe.
If he hollers, let him go,
Eeny, meeny, miny, moe.
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

This brought the number to 88 since the start of the year with 69 sacked and 19 let go.

These were all likely “bottom feeders” who did not meet the required brown envelope quota. 

15 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

The only improvement would come from a root and branch reorganisation. This would entail the establishment of a foreign police-led Independent Commission Against Corruption as they did in Hong Kong prior to 1997, with Government and public support.

But I don’t think the will exists in Thai society to do this, so without external pressure from the UN or donor countries it’s not going to happen. The US probably sees Thailand as a useful buffer against Chinese expansion so will not want to rock the boat.

You would need a group of high officials with integrity who currently do not benefit from the corruption. They could not drum up enough to fill a Ferrari.....

21 hours ago, Whale said:

Thanks for highlighting that, it sure is powerful

But the police officer in charge of the investigation says some of the country's most powerful political figures sabotaged the case, leaving him fearing for his life.

"What benefit would I gain from that?", he demanded. 

"Do you think I am a corrupt individual?" he asked rhetorically and with feeling. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Nineteen were sacked from the force with 6 let go. 

Any charges?  My friend has endured two years of police harassment because he reversed into a garden gate belonging to a 'connected'  neighbour alleging he did it maliciously!  It has cost him thousands in legal fees; he has had to sell his house to move away from the abusive neighbour; the charge has been kicked out once but the police have resurrected it to cover their bias.

11 hours ago, audaciousnomad said:

Yes.  Go to youtube and look up 101 East Thailand's Fearless Cop.  One of the few to stand up and do the right thing, a career officer, had his life destroyed and fled to Melbourne as he feared for his life.  Very sad and shameful for the country. ???? 

Outing the decades old, entrenched mafia and franchisee tactics of the cops, army, immigration and customs is not recommended, for health and safety, but a beautiful thing to witness, when it does happen. 

22 hours ago, AgentSmith said:

Not extended their contract probably.

Yup. This is how teaching for foreigners works in Thailand. They're rarely sacked on the spot, rather they're told their contract won't be renewed. A face saving measure. To sack them would be to admit the school also did something wrong, in hiring the wrong person, or more likely, not giving them the proper support to produce whatever their desired results.

On 4/28/2022 at 9:57 AM, GarryP said:

What's the difference between sacked and let go in this context? Does it mean asked to resign rather than being sacked?

Easy question, easy answer. "Let go" like in "Free Willy".

Release to continue being a free roaming orca. Hence, the opposite of being sacked.

Edited by Richard Hall

I can't be the only one who gets tired of foreign immigrants ranting negatively about everything the government does. ASEAN Now contributors are the biggest load of moaning Minnies who find no good in anything the government does and feel they know how to solve Thailand's problems every time. 

Historically, no government has shown interest in police corruption. The fact this one is starting to take steps to get rid of some bad eggs doesn't mean that is the end of it.

On 4/28/2022 at 9:54 AM, Hayduke said:

Maybe they've been watching what you do instead of listening to what you say....

"He advised them about morality and justice." and morality and justice is taking over a country without being elected by the Thai people backed up by guns after saying that there will be no coup??????? What a hypocrite, or is that him trying to be like a real politician now?

Then he went into attack mode on the press dismissing allegations the force - and by extension him - are involved in human trafficking.

"What benefit would I gain from that?", he demanded. 

"Do you think I am a corrupt individual?" he asked rhetorically and with feeling. 

Ever the leader, diplomat and world statesman.

20 hours ago, scorecard said:

What a strange thing for Y'luck to say.

We have an unelected (by the electorate) PM who is unqualified for the job, so what is the difference with other authorities having people who are unqualified for any jobs? This is The Banana Republic of Thailand. Right!!

• Like 1

On 4/28/2022 at 10:00 AM, BangkokReady said:

Literally just wrote the same thing.  The original article is in Thai, so I'm wondering if there's a slight translation error.

I would say some very high ranking or untouchables were given the option to resign (possibly even keeping all their benefits) before being sacked. Thats how i read it but hard to say. Being Thailand i would say im probably not far off the mark.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RobU said:

Bent police officers are being sacked. Isn't that a good thing? I don't understand why he is being attacked. There is a lot of debate on this site about the RTP being corrupt, these sackings are arguably evidence of an attempt to clean it up.

Well who is going to clean up the corruption from the soldiers running the country?? 

No one right!

• Like 1