On a family vacation in Thailand,

Pistachio

8 hours ago, Tony125 said:

As I said it depends on your choice /person. I had a friend who came over , partied with 5 bar girls in his room.  Liked one and ended up marrying her. She wasn't that pretty but much younger. He was dating an older girl in US but she was too old to have any kids which is what he wanted.  He married the Thai girl and she gave him the son he always wanted. They are still together today after 17 years and are actually visiting Thailand right now.  So those that say it never works out with a poor farm/bar girl  I know that it can as with my friend. Maybe not likely but the relationship can work out. It always depends on the girl  and as well the family you marry into.

PS: Have other friends in US married to Thai for many years. 1 married manager of Thai Hotel in Pattaya. 1 other waitress at Thai restaurant,  1 maid at hotel, 1 other sales girl at Major Mall, 2 Thai school teachers.

8 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

You are indeed a lucky man. I have known closely at least 30 farangs here have married or extended relationships with Thai women and not one of them has ended well. Not to say they don't exist but the odds don't seem too good to me. Even if she is honest, doesn't have debt / kids / husband you do or don't know about, then there is the family hurdle. Guys I know that had at least a stable relationship had deep pockets and were prepared to keep coughing up for the woman and extended family. Seemed to have a mutual understanding but not what I would call a mutually rewarding existence. Some of the others in a state of standoff where she really wants the guy gone and he doesn't have any choice (or money) but to stay. That would cover 5%. The rest ended miserably usually with the guy getting left penniless and in despair. 

"... have known closely at least 30 farangs here have married or extended relationships with Thai women and not one of them has ended well.  ..."

Sounds like you're determined to find negative. 

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 3:54 PM, Kenny202 said:

You are indeed a lucky man. I have known closely at least 30 farangs here have married or extended relationships with Thai women and not one of them has ended well. Not to say they don't exist but the odds don't seem too good to me. Even if she is honest, doesn't have debt / kids / husband you do or don't know about, then there is the family hurdle. Guys I know that had at least a stable relationship had deep pockets and were prepared to keep coughing up for the woman and extended family. Seemed to have a mutual understanding but not what I would call a mutually rewarding existence. Some of the others in a state of standoff where she really wants the guy gone and he doesn't have any choice (or money) but to stay. That would cover 5%. The rest ended miserably usually with the guy getting left penniless and in despair. 

You said :

"... have known closely at least 30 farangs here have married or extended relationships with Thai women and not one of them has ended well.  ..."

I have always failed to understand why some guys here do not do deligence. Example I know of no guy in the US who would marry a girl or say get a pretty GF from a go-go bar and just give her say $100,000 and tell her "go buy us a house"   They would get a realestate agent to  check out property  and a lawyer to draw up a contract if not married or even maybe a prenup if they are married. Over here  because they don't know the language/laws  they just give the cutie the money  and then years later gripe about how stupid was I . Really? As I said guys making bad choices. No reason to put car, condo stuff in Thai wife/GF's name and contracts can be drawn up to protect the farang.  In my case even if my precautions  did not work out  my money = retirement pension,assets at home are deposited in a US bank which I transfer funds from every month or as needed.

IF somehow she was able to bypass the safe guards I have in place and get the car/house,condo here  my pension still comes to  me every month. I could walk away with the full income coming to me and move anywhere in Thailand and rent a place and find someone else. Could even move to Phillippines ,Vetnam ect  so as I said before guys making bad choices . You don't  hope for diviorce/break up but you can lessen the damage/pain with a little common sense and planning.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2022 at 11:10 AM, Chris.B said:

So you spent 3 weeks living in the parent's home. They gave you everything you needed (your words). Motorbike, car and food.

Did you give anything back to them or pay them some money? 

Maybe the father thought you was tight-fisted and didn't want to shake your hand! ????

I brought them some gifts like whiskey for dad in low...
We supported Thai parents in building a new house which we visited just on our holiday. So it maybe sounds like I only use their generosity, not at all.

• Like 1

Thai men do not shake hands,  unless have learned to by interacting with westerners. The cold, limp handshake means nothing. 

They are old, they don't know you, and you are taking their daughter that they love far away.

They know they may never see her again, and they can't even talk to the man she is leaving with. If they never heard from her again, what could they do, call you?

Do some work around the home & business, and always be kind, gentle and respectful and perhaps they will warm up to you, but don't blame them if they don't. 

Gifts and money probably will not help, unless it something well thought out that they really like.