650 baht Insurance is not 650 baht

Several posts have recommended the Covid insurance sold for 650 baht on websites.

But it's not really 650 baht. It requires a negative PCR test to kick in. So the cost is really almost 4000 baht.

I guess another possibility is to buy the insurance, use it to obtain the Thai Pass, and then forget about the PCR test. Just consider the 650 baht another fee imposed for the good of some.

Is that possible to do, or will Thai authorities check further on the validity of the covid insurance?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

It covers 700k baht for covid only and is designed purely for the Thai Pass.

It is ridiculous though, minimum coverage is 30 days and the first 14 days nothing is covered. It's only good for being a cheap entry fee

Ok,  I see, never saw this insurance before, seems to be this one: https://partner.fwdgi.co.th/en/fwdgi/corona-virus-inbound-insurance

But doesn't this just mean that you need to apply for the insurance at least 14 days before making your trip if you don't want to provide a PCR test?

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

But doesn't this just mean that you need to apply for the insurance at least 14 days before making your trip if you don't want to provide a PCR test?

The effective date for the insurance is from the date you enter Thailand, so you can't just start it 14 days before

Screenshot_20220501-113715_Samsung Internet.jpg

2 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

first 14 days nothing is covered.

No it means from the date you purchase it, those next 14 days aren't covered.

It's to stop people with covid buying it and claiming right away.

For this policy you need to purchase it at least 14 days before your flight to Thailand.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Monokuro said:

No it means from the date you purchase it, those next 14 days aren't covered.

It's to stop people with covid buying it and claiming right away.

For this policy you need to purchase it at least 14 days before your flight to Thailand.

This makes no sense as this insurance is only allowed to be purchased by foreigners using it to come to Thailand. Who would test positive outside Thailand and then buy insurance for use in Thailand (you can't enter anyway until medically cleared)

Any insurance that has a waiting period is from the effective date of cover. The effective date for this policy is the date of entry to Thailand

• Like 1

With FWD Covid Insurance there are two ways for it to be considered a "valid/claimable" policy

• Buy it 14+ days before your actual arrival date
  • Take a RT-PCR test 72h+ before your arrival date

Many are confused about this, but the actual policy is issued within 10-30 minutes.

We recommend MSIG Covid Insurance, or WorldTrips Covid Insurance if you plan on leaving with less than 14 day lead-time, or do not wish to do a RT-PCR test. 

Edited by ThaiVisaCentre
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, ThaiVisaCentre said:

With FWD Covid Insurance there are two ways for it to be considered a "valid/claimable" policy

• Buy it 14+ days before your actual arrival date
  • Take a RT-PCR test 72h+ before your arrival dat

This is not correct info. I just emailed them with response below. The waiting period is clearly 14 days after entering Thailand

I also really don't know what they mean by you need a negative PCR test to make a claim?

Screenshot_20220501-143024_Outlook.jpg

7 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

This is not correct info. I just emailed them with response below. The waiting period is clearly 14 days after entering Thailand

I also really don't know what they mean by you have to test negative to make a claim?

I think they are saying that no matter what the policy will activate, just not on the day you selected if you did not have a RT-PCR and purchased it with less than 14 day leadtime.

Because they clearly state the rules here

image.png.5a278fd16df24d1a8455f33165270663.png

- Waiting Period of 14 days or negative PC-R Test within 72 hours prior to inception of policy.

- This plan has 14 days waiting period or the insured shall provide negative PCR test result within 72 hours prior to the policy effective date

- แผนประกันภัยนี้มีระยะเวลารอคอย 14 วัน หรือ ผู้เอาประกันจะต้องแจ้งผลการทดสอบ PCR ที่เป็นลบภายใน 72 ชั่วโมง ก่อนเริ่มความคุ้มครอง

I'm looking for the cheapest policy available with 30 day covid 10k cover that is completely useless.

Covid insurance should not be required. Especially since end of Test & Go.

Hopefully in a month or so it's gone. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm looking for the cheapest policy available with 30 day covid 10k cover that is completely useless.

Covid insurance should not be required. Especially since end of Test & Go.

Hopefully in a month or so it's gone. 

if you buy 60 days you are covered on that 14 days before departure and it only costs 1000 Baht !

4 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

if you buy 60 days you are covered on that 14 days before departure and it only costs 1000 Baht !

Not concerned.

Most folk these days acquire Omicron variant and based on various people we know in our area many/most have had Omicron. 

All this talk of covid cover.

Since forever many folk visit Thailand without travel insurance. 

That practice continues with the ridiculous emphasis on covid cover.

Ridiculous imo. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ThaiVisaCentre said:

I think they are saying that no matter what the policy will activate, just not on the day you selected if you did not have a RT-PCR and purchased it with less than 14 day leadtime.

Because they clearly state the rules here

image.png.5a278fd16df24d1a8455f33165270663.png

- Waiting Period of 14 days or negative PC-R Test within 72 hours prior to inception of policy.

- This plan has 14 days waiting period or the insured shall provide negative PCR test result within 72 hours prior to the policy effective date

- แผนประกันภัยนี้มีระยะเวลารอคอย 14 วัน หรือ ผู้เอาประกันจะต้องแจ้งผลการทดสอบ PCR ที่เป็นลบภายใน 72 ชั่วโมง ก่อนเริ่มความคุ้มครอง

Their email response was pretty clear. Get a PCR test within 72 hours or have a waiting period of 14 days after you enter Thailand. As an agent promoting this insurance why are you not accepting what they say when asked by customers?

3 hours ago, ThaiVisaCentre said:

Where does it say that?

If you buy 2 months on that cheapest policy above and get it 15 days before trip it is 1000 baht  all-in...just means a person is covered 45 days on arrival vs 15 days with 30-day policy avoiding the PCR requirement by insurers and satisfying the bare minimum 30 days of cover from date of entry that seems to get Thai Pass I believe...regardless how long you are staying 30 days of cover seem to be enough just to satisfy application from what I read.

For age under 50 anyway.

Edited by freedomnow

35 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Why does this thread even exist.

I understand that when Test and Go was required the risk of testing positive on arrival would be huge concern.

Test and Go is over.

Why would anyone even concern themselves with 10k covid insurance.

Once here in Thailand if you come down with Omicron, do nothing.

isolate of course. That's it.

Buy the most cheap rubbish policy that satisfies TP.

because i am not an idiot and actually want a health insurance that will cover my stay long or short as it should because there are other things in this world then covid <deleted>

2 minutes ago, drori8 said:

because i am not an idiot and actually want a health insurance that will cover my stay long or short as it should because there are other things in this world then covid <deleted>

Up to you.

Think it's called travel insurance.

Please outline your cover however this thread was specifically about the required covid insurance requirement for TP.

Nothing to do with health insurance. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, freedomnow said:

If you buy 2 months on that cheapest policy above and get it 15 days before trip it is 1000 baht  all-in...just means a person is covered 45 days on arrival vs 15 days with 30-day policy avoiding the PCR requirement by insurers and satisfying the bare minimum 30 days of cover from date of entry that seems to get Thai Pass I believe...regardless how long you are staying 30 days of cover seem to be enough just to satisfy application from what I read.

That is the way I see it. The 650 baht option became effectively useless when the pre departure PCR was dropped.

There are cheaper options than paying for a PCR.