Promenada Mall closed

worgeordie

Some more background, they couldn't pay their electric bill... https://thethaiger.com/news/national/shopping-mall-in-chiang-mai-goes-dark-couldnt-afford-20-million-baht-power-bill

Every time I drive by it seems to be rusting and decaying away bit by bit. Which is kind of the problem - people drive right by, never stop. What a shame too. It had great potential but was so badly managed.

On the plus side, Chiang Mai just got a prime URBEXer site.

"Today, the shopping centre Promenada Chiang Mai sent an official letter to each tenant and store that the shopping centre would temporarily close from today onwards. "

It does say temporarily but we will see.

On 5/5/2022 at 11:12 PM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

maybe a massage shop will revive the place....

Couldn't hurt. I live near there and used immigration, Dukes, RimPing and PEA. My wife loved Mr DIY. For a re-entry permit last Friday I waited 4 hours at the airport location instead of 15 minutes at Prom. I'm going to miss the place.

• Like 2

It tried to market itself as an upscale mall…problem is that CM doesn’t have a large enough upper middle class base to service it on a regular basis…

those folks live in Bkk…CM is more of a middle class even working class environment….

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

Couldn't hurt. I live near there and used immigration, Dukes, RimPing and PEA. My wife loved Mr DIY. For a re-entry permit last Friday I waited 4 hours at the airport location instead of 15 minutes at Prom. I'm going to miss the place.

i was joking---cm is already overloaded with these imo

• Like 1

On 5/9/2022 at 12:47 PM, BritManToo said:

Shopping malls are an Americana experience, the rest of the world aren't that bothered by them

Where did you pluck that nonsense from?

Of the top thirty shopping malls by size in the world the USA has only one entry and that is at number 9 while Thailand hold the number 6, 7, 8, 18 and 19 positions!

Shopping mall - Wikipedia

Edited by DezLez
  • Thanks 2

On 5/12/2022 at 11:07 AM, dingdongrb said:

Are you serious? It is very easy to access as it is not far from the Super Highway. Parking was quick and always available.

I frequented the following stores:

- Rimping

- Immigration

- ChiChang

- Dukes

- DIY

- ToT

- Kerry

- Watson's

That may be your experience but the masses don't own a car in CM. There is no public transport. Not many people want to travel there on a Honda Wave from the city. Hence the shopping Mall has been dead since it opened. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

I did not think it was that far away.  Not everyone lives in the city in fact, many new venues going up out towards Mae Rim and farther.

The mall was the oddest design I have ever seen all that open space and a few shops on the perimeter. 

But, until the Chinese are released from their prison life CM will be a dead zone.  Chinese kept the place going for several years they loved it.  Now, with all the closed businesses and shops it may be the least desirable tourist destination to visit in country.  A total bore of a place at this point domestic toruists are not enough to support it.

I think it will come back, only if and when the  Chinese come back.

• Confused 1

55 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I did not think it was that far away.  Not everyone lives in the city in fact, many new venues going up out towards Mae Rim and farther.

The mall was the oddest design I have ever seen all that open space and a few shops on the perimeter. 

But, until the Chinese are released from their prison life CM will be a dead zone.  Chinese kept the place going for several years they loved it.  Now, with all the closed businesses and shops it may be the least desirable tourist destination to visit in country.  A total bore of a place at this point domestic toruists are not enough to support it.

I think it will come back, only if and when the  Chinese come back.

How often did you go there ?

I don't ever recall seeing any Chinese people there at all and they have no reason to go there 

• Like 2

I won't miss  the boring place.  No atmosphere from the day it opened. 

Used to joke it was a ghost town like off the Western films...with tumbleweeds blowing through it.

I think the first problem was that they were late opening when it was new.   They got beat to the post by Central Festival.  So they could not get the ice rink and shops that went to CF..and customer base. 

The food hall was really not so good..and more expensive than all the other food halls...and not even any English on the menus, when the place was geared up to international people. 

I think they should concert the building to luxury apartments now.  

2 hours ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

That may be your experience but the masses don't own a car in CM. There is no public transport. Not many people want to travel there on a Honda Wave from the city. Hence the shopping Mall has been dead since it opened. 

Yepper, my opinion/experience. I lived in Banwangtan and always owned a vehicle as I always did when living in my home country. I wouldn't venture outside my mooban on a scooter, Not worth the risk with the way folks drive here.

You ever heard of Grab? Pickup at your door within minutes and extremely inexpensive. 

Sad to hear that Honda Wave owners don't venture outside the moat area.....  ????

• Confused 1