Bangkok Bank B1st Debit Card

I was in the midst of arranging for opening a K-bank account in order to obtain their "virtual debit card" for online purchases but found a thread here mentioning that Bangkok bank offered same functionality.

I have always heard that the Thai banks issued debit cards (Master or Visa typically) can NOT be used online, even though some have suceeded in using it with Paypal by going to bank and jumping through hoops of all kinds in order to obtain a CVV number (3 digit security no on back of card).

BUT; checking the http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/Pe...+_BTS+Card+.htm

it clealy states that the B1st card CAN be used online. I called them (1333) and they confirmed that I can use any B1st card online and not just the above B1st+BTS card version. There is nothing to sign up to in order to start using it they claimed.

Also here do they mention that the B1st card (and Bangkok bank CREDIT cards of course) can be used online: http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/Pe...ure/default.htm The VIsaSecure is NOT a requirement to use the card online - but an extra safety. I just fear that it might block me from using the card when/where I want though.

Apparently the 3 digit number on the back (after the 16 digit card number) IS in fact the correct CVV number.

Anybody had any experience using the Bangkok Bank B1st online? Did I miss a thread about this somewhere? I will try to test it my self next time I do an online purchase on reliable homepage/vendor.

Cheers!

Edited by Firefan

I was in the midst of arranging for opening a K-bank account in order to obtain their "virtual debit card" for online purchases but found a thread here mentioning that Bangkok bank offered same functionality.

I have always heard that the Thai banks issued debit cards (Master or Visa typically) can NOT be used online, even though some have suceeded in using it with Paypal by going to bank and jumping through hoops of all kinds in order to obtain a CVV number (3 digit security no on back of card).

BUT; checking the http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/Pe...+_BTS+Card+.htm

it clealy states that the B1st card CAN be used online. I called them (1333) and they confirmed that I can use any B1st card online and not just the above B1st+BTS card version. There is nothing to sign up to in order to start using it they claimed.

Also here do they mention that the B1st card (and Bangkok bank CREDIT cards of course) can be used online: http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/Pe...ure/default.htm The VIsaSecure is NOT a requirement to use the card online - but an extra safety. I just fear that it might block me from using the card when/where I want though.

Apparently the 3 digit number on the back (after the 16 digit card number) IS in fact the correct CVV number.

Anybody had any experience using the Bangkok Bank B1st online? Did I miss a thread about this somewhere? I will try to test it my self next time I do an online purchase on reliable homepage/vendor.

Cheers!

Yeah, I have a be1st card and tried it online a couple years ago, with no luck. I only use the card for ATM withdrawals, but let us know if it works.

Rainman; thanks for update - have you tried a call to 1333 and ask why? I expect them to juast say that it "should" work and to try again. Also; when I spoke with them they said that in SOME cases it helped to sign up with the Visasecure service I linked to in first post.

She also said that sometimes there was a problem with the CVV no. on the back, but when I asked how I knew/could check she could not answer.

One thing that comes to mind is that all my Bangkok Bank mail is in Thai and if anybody wants to verify address Etc. when purchasing online there is no way to check except postal code.....

Blizzard; the BTS card is a B1st card, so if that is what you have you can switch directly - might be a couple of hundred baht in sign up fee again, but you get 100 Baht in BTS money on the card so evens out.

Let's have more people test their B1st cards online.

Cheers!

hey firefan ,

is the mail you get from bangkok bank regarding a basic savings account. do they send monthly or quarterly statements.

the company that wants to wire funds to my bangkok bank account want a statement showing my accounts bangkok address.

another thing i learned is that giving address to thais is not that ez. they get so much wrong. i wonder if its carelessness becoz im not thai or thats how its done with all .

Edited by blizzard

Aceface; thanks - I think I will sign up for the free Visasecure thing they have and then test out the card online.

Others; please try your B1st card out online and let us know your experience. They seem to be mixed sofar.

When I tried a year ago it did not work, but seems something might have changed. I asked the girl at 1333 if anything had changed recently as to using B1st online and she said no, and that it can be used online "no problem". - he,he -TIT.

CHeers!

I have used my B1st card several times on-line now. I am registered with the Be secure system from bangkok bank.

It kind of happened by accident, just trying my card on-line when I got redirected by the card processing system to the Be secure site from Bkk Bank. Had to dial to Bualung cardservices , enter my card number and pin code to verify you are the rightful owner. Then you get a temporary code.

Next step was online again (you get redirected to the registration page automatically when trying to use your card for payment) where you have to give the temporary code received over the phone and some extra information (registered address I recall) and then you get to choose a PAM and a 6 digit VbV (verified by visa) pincode.

Now every time I use my card I get redirected to the VbV site, enter my 6 digit PIN and payment goes through.

There are however still some card processing networks not linked to the VbV network...

how did you get the 3 digit security code , found on back of card, needed for companies that request it?

most online places where i want to use my cards require the security code.

i have a feeling we are all not talking about the same product.

Edited by blizzard

I have the yellow b1st card of Bkk Bank. The newer ones have a cvv code on the back, where you sign. Mine is a bit older and has the cvv on the front in small print under the first 4 digits of the card number... It's a 4 digit number, you only use the last 3 number

i just got upgraded to bts/atm card...........................lol.

it took 15 minutes and 300 baht.

is this a new product? i swear checking out their website a few weeks ago it wasnt offered.

dont really want to use it as i might be disappointed. i really want to use thai account to purchase things and services on the web.

Forgot to answer: basic saving account - no monthly/qtrly statements. I get other mail though (mutual fund buy/sales receipts Etc.) and any mailings from BKK Bank have my address written in Thai. CHeers!

hey firefan ,

is the mail you get from bangkok bank regarding a basic savings account. do they send monthly or quarterly statements.

the company that wants to wire funds to my bangkok bank account want a statement showing my accounts bangkok address.

another thing i learned is that giving address to thais is not that ez. they get so much wrong. i wonder if its carelessness becoz im not thai or thats how its done with all .

I have the yellow b1st card of Bkk Bank. The newer ones have a cvv code on the back, where you sign. Mine is a bit older and has the cvv on the front in small print under the first 4 digits of the card number... It's a 4 digit number, you only use the last 3 number

Oh my goodness, you star! I was positive i had no cvv code till you mentioned that. (although my card is only 6 months old). Anyway..will try it out when i next need make a payment online and report back. Heres hoping.:o

I got my card about 2 hours ago (presumably a new one, white inc. BTS) the CVV number is on the front underneath the card number.

the bts-be1st card works online!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you dont need to sign up for the visa secure thing. i dont know how it would help anyways as this is a debit card.

the sec code is not on card but it is in letter they give you right then and there

Just to prevent further confusion, please only post that "IT WORKS ONLINE" if a PURCHASE of any kind was SUCCESSFUL...Paypal will withdraw the 2 bucks, but at least in the past that's ALL it did.

no confusion for me.

there is no security code on my card. it is in paperwork they gave me.

i have funded a new click to pay account with the card. all done online. the whole world of online gaming is at my fingertips all becoz it works online.

bts feature not so good, cheaper if you buy 30 trip pass directly from bts.

Edited by blizzard

no confusion for me.

i have funded a new click to pay account with the card. all done online. the whole world of online gaming is at my fingertips all becoz it works online.

So let me get this straight...you've used your actual number printed on the card and the CVV code on the back? Or did the papers the bank gave you include a different number & CVV (as is the case with Kasikorn's web-card system)?

Hmm, that sounds good, I'll look into it...how about the expiry date? Is it something like 2009 or 2017? Because many online merchants don't have support for the 2016/2017 dates so common on the ATM cards issues here.

Thats why it's most definitely advisable to go through the visa secure thingy.

It's quite rigorous to get your 6 digit security code, but once registered it'll get asked each and every time you do a transaction.

If the potential fraudster doesn't have your 6 digit code, no transaction will be done!!!

my usa cards there are no security risks. if you didnt authorize transaction they will remove charge.

thai debit cards i dont know what happens , and id rather not find out.

i think just best not to keep big balances in account. not good for those not good with money management.

BUT MINE DID WORK ONLINE.............AND THATS WHAT I WANTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cant have everything guys. just like thai girls, they got good and bad in all of em.

as a side note to this..

i needed to settle my hotel bill in Penang earlier today and realised that i was a bit short on cash (had baht but no money exchange nearby). I decided to try my bb card and the receptionist punched the numbers in. When it came to the 3 dig code he couldnt find it and i said that i didnt know where it was and poss its the four numbers at the front. Well he just decided to punch in the last 3 digits of the main long number and lo and behold the transaction went through.

I am not sure if im glad about that or a little worried that what seems to be a relatively random 3 digits were punched in and worked...

no confusion for me.

Hi Blizzard,

Let me know if it works!! currently been depositing and withdrawing through Wu to Pstars , and they dont half swollow up the profit. the charges are crazy. :o

pm if youd be so kind and let me know, then if alls well offto bkk bank i go ! :D

i tried first directly at cryptologic. they didnt accept my card. then i tried click to pay and they did verify my card.

IT WORKS.

if you a winning player shouldnt you be playing where you get bonuses and rakeback. i am a break even player and do quite well chasing bonuses and stuff.

hmmm... be4 i got my bts atm card i tried sending west. union to cryptos and thai people said it was banned, they couldnt process the transaction. and as usual it took them 45 minutes to say so............lol.