Working online in Thailand for foreign company

As long as not working for Thai companies how would anybody know..........

Your friend wants to be philanthropic............

I don't know the specific situation but he may not even be able to get a work permit very easily if at all.

• Thanks 1

As above, its not the work permit etc, as nobody would ever know, unless maybe you are silly enough to get payed directly into a Thai account, tagged as salary etc.

The main issue is what visa do you stay on, under 50, not married, cant afford elite etc, the options are none. 

On 5/8/2022 at 7:37 AM, Peterw42 said:

As above, its not the work permit etc, as nobody would ever know, unless maybe you are silly enough to get payed directly into a Thai account, tagged as salary etc.

I don't think that's silly, no one cares if you earn money from abroad. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/8/2022 at 12:37 AM, Swiss1960 said:

As a foreigner, if you work in Thailand, you need a work permit. Period. That is the law.

That said, as a digital nomad, there are several options available:

From the description in the original post, the person is a 'remote worker' not a 'digital nomad'.

• Like 1

At mostly 30-45k baht/mo, most foreign teachers in Thailand also teach online to supplement their income.

Whenever I meet a new student and mention I'm from Thailand, many remark "Oh, another one in Thailand! Why are so many of you in Thailand?" There's hundreds and hundreds of us doing it. I then tell them about the friendly people, low cost of living, etc. And as mentioned, having a regular job like teaching is handy as it gives you the Non-B visa to stay here, to do any online work you might have, as there is no "digital nomad" or "online work" visa.

I definitely wouldn't recommend online teaching if you really like making money, however. You should be doing what my friends are doing, like web development for e-commerce.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I definitely wouldn't recommend online teaching if you really like making money

Easily get 1000 baht an hour or more, which is pretty good if you do 40 hours a week. 

17 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Easily get 1000 baht an hour or more, which is pretty good if you do 40 hours a week. 

Yeah, for like test prep and STEM specializations, with lots of charisma, like that one guy who always gets into these threads about how he's got the Chinese kids booked into the next year with his "mad scientist" schtick. ???? That def ain't me. Just lowly Eng conversation practice here. $200 USD is a good week for me, part time. Just happy it makes the car payment.

• Like 2