Is Laos closed?

27 minutes ago, sibille said:

I'm waiting for reports from travelers by motorbike or car to laos and from laos back to thailand. how do i apply for a "thaipass"  if i want to return to thailand from laos by land, i.e. with my own car? what are the rules currently (10.5.22) for entering thailand by land - haven't found anything online yet!
it would also be interesting to know which borders are open overland to laos and from laos back to thailand - for example huay xai to chiang khong in the north and many more!

You transport entering by land is not required for a Thailand Pass. Select by land here on the the Thailand Pass for more info. https://tp.consular.go.th/

Choose no quarantine or quarantine and you will find a drop down menu to choose the border crossing you will be using on the registration page.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You transport entering by land is not required for a Thailand Pass. Select by land here on the the Thailand Pass for more info. https://tp.consular.go.th/

Choose no quarantine or quarantine and you will find a drop down menu to choose the border crossing you will be using on the registration page.

thanks @ubonjoe - where in laos we can do a COVID-19 RT-PCR? or is a ATK-test good enough? we will not pass vientiane or luangprabang or other big cities/villages in laos!

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I asked before and was told I had to purchase insurance, but on reading this here I'm not too sure....https://land.tp.consular.go.th/en/plan
"Insurance with minimum coverage of 10,000 USD (not required for Thai nationals / foreign residents in Thailand can use social security or certificate from their employer)"

Pink Card holders (Thai ID #'s starting with 06) are eligible to apply for Thai SSO membership under section 40. If you are a paid up member of the Thai SSO will this allow you to enter Thailand without the need to purchase this extra insurance?

9 minutes ago, rbkk said:

Pink Card holders (Thai ID #'s starting with 06) are eligible to apply for Thai SSO membership under section 40. If you are a paid up member of the Thai SSO will this allow you to enter Thailand without the need to purchase this extra insurance?

Interesting.  Haven't heard this before.  Do you have any more information about this?  Maybe a link?

12 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Interesting.  Haven't heard this before.  Do you have any more information about this?  Maybe a link?

Here you go in English. Zoom into these brochure details....https://www.mol.go.th/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2021/02/2-แผ่นพับกองทุนประกันสังคม-EN.pdf

-Benefits for the Insured Persons Under Section 40

-Minority group person with identification card (ID) not having Thai nationality, and with the first digit of such ID card beginning with , o, 6, 7,

-15 years old to 60. (I think this may have recently changed to 65 years old, need to check)

Edited by rbkk

51 minutes ago, rbkk said:

Here you go in English. Zoom into these brochure details....https://www.mol.go.th/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2021/02/2-แผ่นพับกองทุนประกันสังคม-EN.pdf

-Minority group person with identification card (ID) not having Thai nationality, and with the first digit of such ID card beginning with , o, 6, 7,

-15 years old to 60. (I think this may have recently changed to 65 years old, need to check)

i suspect that the hill tribe people in thailand have these id cards!

8 minutes ago, sibille said:

i suspect that the hill tribe people in thailand have these id cards!

I suspect it's the Thai ID number that's relevent be it on a Pink ID Card or inside a Yellow House Book.

52 minutes ago, rbkk said:

Interesting.  It would seem from Section 40 that:

A voluntarily insured person is a self-employed person who is not an insured person under Section 33 or Section 39.

Minority group person with identification card (ID) not having Thai nationality, and with the first digit of such ID card beginning with 0, 6 or 7.

In my own case, I am not self-employed so I think I would fail the first test.  While I have an identification card (pink ID) with the first digit starting with 6 (which I think is standard for farang who apply for a pink ID/yellow house registration book) I'm not sure I would qualify as a minority group, which I believe would possibly only cover people such as Karen hill tribe people, that is people who were born and have lived in Thailand their whole lives but for whatever reason never obtained Thai citizenship and are not registered with a Thai ID number.

17 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Interesting.  It would seem from Section 40 that:

In my own case, I am not self-employed so I think I would fail the first test.  While I have an identification card (pink ID) with the first digit starting with 6 (which I think is standard for farang who apply for a pink ID/yellow house registration book) I'm not sure I would qualify as a minority group, which I believe would possibly only cover people such as Karen hill tribe people, that is people who were born and have lived in Thailand their whole lives but for whatever reason never obtained Thai citizenship and are not registered with a Thai ID number.

I take it to mean that all people with a Thai ID Number starting with a 6 are eligible to be members. As I'm far outnumbered by Thai's I do feel I'm in a minority group! Is your socio-economic background and place of birth relevent here? If those with a "6" weren't eligible they wouldn't have been listed. I think the Karen would have Thai ID starting with a "0," (I don't know?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_identity_card (Other ID documents=0)

If anyone is interested in pursuing the SSO Section 40 thing further here is the application form referenced by the QR code in the Ministry of Labor link given earlier:  

https://www.sso.go.th/section40_regist/

The form is in Thai so you may wish to open the link in the Chrome browser to get automatic Thai to English translation.  You might wish to respond in Thai as well to improve the chances of your application succeeding.  I have my doubts about it succeeding and then even if successful whether it would actually be honored at a public hospital is unlikely it seems to me.  But if there's a pioneer out there who would like to give it try I would like to hear your experience. ????

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bradiston said:

Beijing seems to have got right out of step with the rest of the world with their zero covid policy.

Well, who else than 'Beijing' would know how serious long Covid could be. Not that they'd tell the world...

And rather than Covid getting out of hand there, with new Chinese variants evolving, I'd prefer them to lock down for a long time, perhaps keeping the border closed for 20 years... Time for the world to reduce reliance of anything and everything from China.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, skatewash said:

If anyone is interested in pursuing the SSO Section 40 thing further here is the application form referenced by the QR code in the Ministry of Labor link given earlier:  

https://www.sso.go.th/section40_regist/

The form is in Thai so you may wish to open the link in the Chrome browser to get automatic Thai to English translation.  You might wish to respond in Thai as well to improve the chances of your application succeeding.  I have my doubts about it succeeding and then even if successful whether it would actually be honored at a public hospital is unlikely it seems to me.  But if there's a pioneer out there who would like to give it try I would like to hear your experience. ????

Tried entering my details on the link provided , it accepted the front number on the pink card but would not accept the number that is on the back . Will go off to the local SSO office myself in the next couple of days . Will report on what the outcome is . 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, greg71 said:

Tried entering my details on the link provided , it accepted the front number on the pink card but would not accept the number that is on the back . Will go off to the local SSO office myself in the next couple of days . Will report on what the outcome is . 

I vaguely remember a similar problem from the early days of the covid vaccination.  When one tried to register online one could enter one's "Thai ID number" from the Pink ID but the numbers on the back of the card weren't accepted as they were in a different format than those on a blue Thai ID card.

3 minutes ago, skatewash said:

I vaguely remember a similar problem from the early days of the covid vaccination.  When one tried to register online one could enter one's "Thai ID number" from the Pink ID but the numbers on the back of the card weren't accepted as they were in a different format than those on a blue Thai ID card.

The back of my wifes thai id starts with 2 letters , where the back of my pink card is all numbers 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2022 at 7:08 AM, audaciousnomad said:
Requirements for Entry into the Laos by Air, Land, and Water
???? From 09 May 2022
✅ All international borders are open for foreign travelers.
✅ Visa exemptions, visas-on-arrival, and E-visas are in place.
✅ Private and public transport vehicles are allowed to enter and exit Laos.
✅ Foreigners entering Laos who contract COVID-19 shall be responsible for their own treatment costs

--Fully Vaccinated Travelers--
✅ Certificate of Vaccination

--Unvaccinated or Partially Vaccinated Travelers--
❌ Certificate of Vaccination is not required
✅ ATK test result issued within 48 hours before departure to the Lao PDR, except for children under 12 years old

Other Major Changes:
The following processes and documents are not required:
❌ RT-PCR Test before departure
❌ ATK test on arrival for fully vaccinated travelers
❌ Proof of COVID-19 insurance
❌ Lao Green Pass registration
❌ Quarantine
???? Per the Notice from the Prime Minister’s Office 627/PMO, dated 07/05/2022
???? Ministry of Information, Culture and Tourism

image.thumb.jpeg.970a06bab317d2d763acded8345f4852.jpeg

a friend of mine just drove from chiangkhong to houayxai via the friendship bridge to laos - everything is the same procedure as more than 2 years ago - only a "s.h.y..t.t..y" temp-check was done - nothing more! took about 2.5 hours - thai and laos immi custom etc! Visa on Arrival for 40 us - some countries get 15 days free exemption (e.g. Switzerland)

Edited by sibille
  • Thanks 1

plenty of bus routes as well

Starting next month, bus travel enthusiasts in Thailand will have 10 bus route options options in Laos.

One of the Thailand-Laos bus routes began earlier this month, from Mukdahan to Savannakhet. Now, the president of Transport Co Ltd, Sanyalux Panwattanalikit, has listed 9 new Thailand-Laos routes starting June 15.

The new routes will be: Nong Khai to Vientiane, Udon Thani to Vientiane, Ubon Ratchathani to Pakse, Khon Kaen to Vientiane, Bangkok to Vientiane, Nakhon Phanom to Thakhek, Chiang Rai to Bokeo, Loei to Luang Prabang, and a line running between Udon Thani, Udon Thani International Airport, Nong Khai, and Vang Vieng.
https://thethaiger.com/travel/tourism-travel/10-thailand-laos-bus-routes-starting-june-15?utm_source=Thaiger+Daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2022-05-29

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

plenty of bus routes as well

Starting next month, bus travel enthusiasts in Thailand will have 10 bus route options options in Laos.

So have to wait until 15th June to get to Vientiane by bus

On 5/10/2022 at 6:40 PM, StayinThailand2much said:

Well, who else than 'Beijing' would know how serious long Covid could be. Not that they'd tell the world...

And rather than Covid getting out of hand there, with new Chinese variants evolving, I'd prefer them to lock down for a long time, perhaps keeping the border closed for 20 years... Time for the world to reduce reliance of anything and everything from China.

Not sure what this has to do with Laos, but pray tell us why China should know more about long Covid, it spread to most of the rest of the world within weeks.

Also, long Covid was caused by Delta, now basically extinct. btw, most if not all of the variants originated in countries other than China. Omicron, now dominant, was first detected in S. Africa.

On 5/8/2022 at 5:05 PM, sanuk711 said:

How does that work out for most Thai's---I have a Vax passport, My wife like most Thai's has the QR code on her phone, confirms in Thailand she has had all jabs... I take it that means I have to get her a certificate ---from .........where

It gets delivered by email or a print out or screen grab from her Mor Prom app. I went to the municipal  health  centre  in Naklua - they sorted it in 10 minutes

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You take a bus to Nong Khai and then cross the bridge to Vientiane on the shuttle bus.

Hopefully the website for booking visa appointment is working soon

Before covid weren’t they appointment only in Vientiane? 

On 5/7/2022 at 6:34 PM, 3MagicBeers said:

Apart from expected teething problems in the first days, its basically back to the same as entering Laos in 2019. The issue could be for Thai residents returning to TH, having to download the Thailand Pass, insurance etc etc (right?). In time Thailand will align to the Lao non-restrictions in my opinion.

Except that the news article states that visa on arrival will be available at "some checkpoints" and doesn't say which ones.....  edit: I stand corrected...other news articles state that the visa on arrival has been reinstated at all checkpoints

Edited by Lee4Life

7 minutes ago, transam said:

Did I read somewhere that if I get a Laos eVisa printed off, they don't stick a full page visa thing in your passport....?

The just do a stamp that you used the e visa if I recall correctly since it has been awhile since anybody reported using one.. No big visa sticker or stamp.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

The just do a stamp that you used the e visa if I recall correctly since it has been awhile since anybody reported using one.. No big visa sticker or stamp.

Thanks for that, I was going to order a new jumbo PP, seems now not required...????