Is Laos closed?

38 minutes ago, 3MagicBeers said:

Laos is fully reopening on Monday 7th May, with no restrictions. In fact it will be the easiest SE Asian country to get into/ HAPPY DAYS after 777 days ! ????

In summary:

• Fully vaccinated: only need certificate of vaccination • Not fully vaccinated: ATK test with in 24 hours before departure • Private vehicles can be used to enter and exit Laos • E-visa and visa on arrival are available • Effective 09 May 2022 onwards • No Lao Green Pass, no insurance, no test on arrival.

https://laotiantimes.com/2022/05/07/laos-drops-testing-for-vaccinated-tourists-announces-full-reopening/?fbclid=IwAR1fsXWfr6W3RgHtZHNsowP402399JvAS2uG-1DXfEAmxLbdRG9U9KhfjvE

thanks for the share.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Share what? 

So let's wait for first nip up to loas border and bounce back into Thailand.

Apart from expected teething problems in the first days, its basically back to the same as entering Laos in 2019. The issue could be for Thai residents returning to TH, having to download the Thailand Pass, insurance etc etc (right?). In time Thailand will align to the Lao non-restrictions in my opinion.

2 hours ago, 3MagicBeers said:

Laos is fully reopening on Monday 7th May, with no restrictions. In fact it will be the easiest SE Asian country to get into/ HAPPY DAYS after 777 days ! ????

In summary:

• Fully vaccinated: only need certificate of vaccination • Not fully vaccinated: ATK test with in 24 hours before departure • Private vehicles can be used to enter and exit Laos • E-visa and visa on arrival are available • Effective 09 May 2022 onwards • No Lao Green Pass, no insurance, no test on arrival.

https://laotiantimes.com/2022/05/07/laos-drops-testing-for-vaccinated-tourists-announces-full-reopening/?fbclid=IwAR1fsXWfr6W3RgHtZHNsowP402399JvAS2uG-1DXfEAmxLbdRG9U9KhfjvE

1 hour ago, 3MagicBeers said:

Apart from expected teething problems in the first days, its basically back to the same as entering Laos in 2019. The issue could be for Thai residents returning to TH, having to download the Thailand Pass, insurance etc etc (right?). In time Thailand will align to the Lao non-restrictions in my opinion.

absolutely not. A certificate of vacc. and atk test are not "no restrictions" dont support that insane bs !!

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Share what? 

So let's wait for first nip up to loas border and bounce back into Thailand.

share the news about Lao reopening. my buddy's already planning a train trip to the Chinese border ????

24 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

share the news about Lao reopening. my buddy's already planning a train trip to the Chinese border ????

Geez....let's wait for report from border bounce with all the details.

Please nip up to Nong Khai and give us first hand report of border bounce.

You could be #1

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Geez....let's wait for report from border bounce with all the details.

Please nip up to Nong Khai and give us first hand report of border bounce.

You could be #1

fair dinkum Jack, it can't be that hard. but I'm not a serial visa abuser so I don't need to border bounce anymore. I went the proper route ... non-O "retirement visa" via Maneerat on Soi Post ????

14 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

fair dinkum Jack, it can't be that hard. but I'm not a serial visa abuser so I don't need to border bounce anymore. I went the proper route ... non-O "retirement visa" via Maneerat on Soi Post ????

By serial visa abuser do you mean people using the visa options that are available to them? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Daithi85 said:

By serial visa abuser do you mean people using the visa options that are available to them? 

Aussie humour mate. Jack'll understand it. well he'd bloody better! ????

but nah I wasn't having a go, just parroting the crusties and curtain twitchers who get all worked up about these things. I don't care about how anyone stays here, all I care about is if you are 'jai dee' or not ????.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 3MagicBeers said:

Fully vaccinated: only need certificate of vaccination

How does that work out for most Thai's---I have a Vax passport, My wife like most Thai's has the QR code on her phone, confirms in Thailand she has had all jabs... I take it that means I have to get her a certificate ---from .........where

27 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

f she is using the Mor Prom app she can do a screenshot of her vaccination record. Or print it out when if is displayed on the browser after scanning the QR code. I have mine printed out showing my 3 vaccinations.

She could also a apply for a digital international certificate on the Mor Prom app. I have one of those also.

Thanks Joe.......

On 5/7/2022 at 11:23 PM, StayinThailand2much said:

Does China let people in (there), or is the trip just to 'look at the border'?

Yeah, I'd like to know what he intends to do when he gets to the border too. Sure, I'd love to jump on the high speed train to Kunming, but heard right now it's freight only.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bradiston said:

Yeah, I'd like to know what he intends to do when he gets to the border too. Sure, I'd love to jump on the high speed train to Kunming, but heard right now it's freight only.

Even before the pandemic you needed a visa for China. As far as I know very hard to get one now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Even before the pandemic you needed a visa for China. As far as I know very hard to get one now.

From a Chinese friend in China, I heard it's not difficult leaving China, but hard work getting back in. Similar to how it was here not that long ago, I guess. Beijing seems to have got right out of step with the rest of the world with their zero covid policy.

• Like 1

very interesting contributions - thank you very much everyone - here is also a message, but not so positive -
https://laotiantimes.com/2022/05/10/laos-fuel-crisis-nears-breaking-point-as-vientiane-capital-runs-dry/
I'm waiting for reports from travelers by motorbike or car to laos and from laos back to thailand. how do i apply for a "thaipass"  if i want to return to thailand from laos by land, i.e. with my own car? what are the rules currently (10.5.22) for entering thailand by land - haven't found anything online yet!
it would also be interesting to know which borders are open overland to laos and from laos back to thailand - for example huay xai to chiang khong in the north and many more!