Schengen visa question

Hi all, hope someone can give me some advice. My Thai GF is in the process of applying for a Schengen visa to come and stay with me in Sweden, I am a Danish national and I have just started a new job In Stockholm.

My GF ticks all the boxes in terms of being able to convince the embassy she will return, has a good job, owns property etc, but my concern is my ability as the host to convince the embassy. I’m not a Swedish national and I don’t own property in Sweden, I have also only just located to Sweden after spending the last year in Thailand. So my question is what are my/her chances of the visa being approved?

And before anyone asks the question how long she has a been my girlfriend, I only met her 5 weeks ago on my last trip to Thailand.

Thanks in advance for your help & feedback.

Edited by taxin

6 minutes ago, Hummin said:

You apply with the proof of your income as guarantee, either with your embassy, or the Swedish. First place she enter schengen Sweeden? Right? 

I did all this many years ago for my wife and nephew but can't remember all the details I remember we had to state accomodation details and medical insurance at that time but we went to Germany at first base so can't help you a lot, you can check up on line under Schengen Visa

Can't speak for a Shengen but if you were applying to the UK, the only knowing her 5 weeks would be a bit of a red flag.  If as you say, she ticks all the boxes, I'd tend to let her make the application on her own merit as a visitor without you as sponsor financially (if that was what you were proposing). There is nothing wrong with her mentioning that she will be visiting a friend (you) or even that she will be staying the whole duration with you.  Again, if this was the UK you would not have to mention how long you've lived in Sweden, just that you have somewhere suitable where she's welcome to stay.  As for proof, a lease agreement should be adequate and a letter from your landlord stating that they have no objection to your 'friend' staying is always helpful.

Not sure about Shengen but a travel itinerary is useful (with evidence). If she/you both intend visiting some attraction or other and staying there, a hotel booking would also be useful.

The 'red flag' - if the purpose of a trip is to visit someone you are in a relationship with and that person is the sponsor, you are expected to provide evidence that the relationship is genuine and ongoing as well as the finance.  5 weeks? - it may be hard to convince an ECO that the relationship is subsisting.

However, Thai's can and do go on holiday to Europe every day without having any family/relationships in their destination country.  If you can take yourself out of the picture as a sponsor (apart from accommodation), I think your girlfriend would do far better - if as you say, she can show she has the finances and more importantly, good reasons to return.

As I say, I'm basing my replies as if the application was for the UK - I can't see Schengen being much different, if anything, maybe a little less stringent.

Edited by KhaoYai